Sponsored by:

No more 991 production?!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 03:26 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg D.
[/left] +1, you took the words right out of my mouth, and from 100% of the ex-981-buyers who did not buy a 4 banger 718 ... Porsche only have themselves to blame for the failure of that model line. I could have done a 4 banger if at least it sounded glorious... It really doesn't, from personal experience, not magazine reviews... IMO, and I say this as a 356-911 guy for my entire life, I always thought those were the best handling cars from the brand and I enjoyed 3 of them over the years... The day I sell my 991 (which will be the next-next time a COV fails because I'm fed up with this) will be to trade for a used 981 spyder as a last hurrah for gas cars... My commuter is electric and 100% reliable all the time, because there's like 3 moving parts and no vacuum anything that I know of ;-)
I don't think turbos are a bad thing personally, but the move to 4 cyl IMO was a tough pill to swallow. I think the styling is a bit off too compared to previous gen which doesn't help...

Also I think 718 is a disaster for *US*, my dealer cannot unload any of them, but abroad/RoW might be a different story. 718 supposedly angled towards China/Asia and I saw loads of them on the road in Germany btw.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:46 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
I don't think turbos are a bad thing personally, but the move to 4 cyl IMO was a tough pill to swallow. I think the styling is a bit off too compared to previous gen which doesn't help...

Also I think 718 is a disaster for *US*, my dealer cannot unload any of them, but abroad/RoW might be a different story. 718 supposedly angled towards China/Asia and I saw loads of them on the road in Germany btw.

Maybe that is good news for those of us on the 718 Spyder list. Hopefully they will allocate enough builds to make buyers happy.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:05 PM
mrneddles
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Sorry to hear that, are you sure it wasn't specifically because of PTS? They are definitely still building "regular" 911s as of right now but I don't know for how much longer (saw a bunch on the factory line), so maybe your dealership had no more allocations left for this Fall/Winter 2018 after the factory summer close? Did you try looking with another dealership? Worse case scenario hopefully you can find something on the lot you like (it sure as hell won't be PTS with LTS unfortunately lol). Wanted to spec my C4 but found something very close and got it at a small discount/much faster to boot
I guess I'm a bid of a Goldilocks with cars. If it isn't exactly right, I don't want it. That along with the six figure price tag led me to walk away from it. The dealer I was using had no remaining allocations, and they were never granted the PTS spot (at least that is what I was told), even though I had a commission number in the Porsche system since last summer. I could have called around to another dealership, but at this point I'm just over the whole thing. On a good note, I am number one on their list for a 718 Spyder. Rest assured, I will pick a standard paint.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:24 AM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Maybe that is good news for those of us on the 718 Spyder list. Hopefully they will allocate enough builds to make buyers happy.
Nope. 718 Spyder is NA 6. Also more in demand due to positive experiences w/ 981 Spyder.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:47 AM
Avalon911
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Ervin Wu
Nope. 718 Spyder is NA 6. Also more in demand due to positive experiences w/ 981 Spyder.
You sound quite certain of this. What is your source? Lots of angst and controversy over this in the GT4/“Spyder” forums. I’m hoping you are correct, but this is not a given from what I can see.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:00 AM
kenny29
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
I agree with this guy!
My Porsche dealer said something similar to me, i.e that the main assembly line for 991s would be slowing right up to allow some internal reconfiguration within the factory, and preparation for the 992. Whilst he stopped short of saying that new 991s would no longer be possible to get, he commented that these would continue to dry up. He added that they wait with interest to see what impact if any this could have on pre-owned models!
Old 04-20-2018, 01:40 PM
slingshot60
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 99999

what a graphic. They should have hit 996 with “the ugly stick” just to add character to this thing. I personally love Ms. 930, looks like she’s had a bit of excitement.
..."rode hard and put up wet"?
Old 04-20-2018, 03:29 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Avalon911

You sound quite certain of this. What is your source? Lots of angst and controversy over this in the GT4/“Spyder” forums. I’m hoping you are correct, but this is not a given from what I can see.
Cleaning Lady
Old 04-20-2018, 04:55 PM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

Configurator now spits out 2019 models. The last page of the summary print/pdf says model year 2019, to save you hunting like me!

Quick Reply: No more 991 production?!?