Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

go.illini's radar detector hard wire install

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 10:34 AM
USGooner
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Wonder where my old stash box is that has my stats aka roach clip is?
Old 05-04-2018, 10:50 AM
Mr Hyde
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha. I just used needle nose pliers to help with the zip tie and a small flathead screwdriver to release the plug. My fat fingers just didn’t help me in this scenario. I also forgot to mention in my post that my ride is a 2017 (991.2).
Old 05-04-2018, 10:52 AM
USGooner
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Same as mine. Thanks!

BTW - will you come to OK and remodel my garage? I'm envious!

Last edited by USGooner; 05-04-2018 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Adding to comment
Old 05-05-2018, 03:46 AM
Wooly1
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Great stuff. Really appreciate the detail in your DIY. So many people leave out crucial info and detail. I’ve got a Uniden R3 on the way and will follow this install to the T. BlendMount and MirrorTap are backordered unfortunately. Big thanks!
Old 05-05-2018, 10:50 AM
SDaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Fantastic post. Thanks! Having a Blendmount and a V1, it seems like the best location for the wire to exit, from a day to day prospective, would be just above the base of the mirror (circled red). The space is not quite as large as the headliner edge. The wire diameter is fine but the "tap" end doesn't quite fit with just pushing.

Has anyone else used this location for their wire and, if so, what tips are there for feeding the wire?

Also, my '15 GTS only has one connector under the dome lights (circled yellow). Any thoughts on whether this "other" connector will work?

Last edited by SDaddy; 05-05-2018 at 11:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
19-kilo (04-06-2024)
Old 05-07-2018, 02:09 PM
drsubie
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you for the post--I can now mount my radar detector!
Old 05-08-2018, 11:55 PM
go.illini
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Hyde
Just joined the forum and I wanted to give you a big thanks. Mirror tapped my detector (360c) today and it worked perfect. The second to smallest size worked perfectly in my situation, the smallest was a little too loose for my liking. Followed your instructions step by step. My cabriolet has the roof attachment point in the middle similar to the targa and only difference was my plug I tapped was blue and not yellow. It seems you figured out what appears others were having issues with for getting the power properly. So fresh and so clean!
Looks great. Glad it worked for you.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:52 AM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Did this while holding a mini flash light in my mouth... took maybe 10 min tops. Thanks for posting these instructions!!!
Old 05-17-2018, 07:26 PM
JFerraro17
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Knocked this out today, took about an hour—mainly due to having only one pair of hands and poor lighting.

My adds: late build 2018 model, both sides of the plug are blue. Shape and size match Illini’s pics, just blue. No big deal, just pointing it out. May be an anomaly.

Having said that, I could not get the #3 tap into the plug on any side of the wire. I even disconnected the plug for better access. I went with the smallest tap, and taped to secure....it wouldn’t fall out, but any pressure (like folding it all back into the space) and they came lose. Ops checks fine, and long drive planned for Saturday, so we’ll see.

Thanks for the great instructions and pics Illini!

Last edited by JFerraro17; 05-17-2018 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:40 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

subbed to this thread in the case i do this in the future. Will probably go with a clamp on for the unit as I will be having a BlackVue DRS900 4k dash cam potentially using valuable space there.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:50 PM
Dr. Ice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the pictures and directions! I just completed this small project on my 2017 C2S and it took me about 20 minutes. The hardest part for me was hitting the two tabs with a credit card to drop down the map light cover to get to the wiring. I simply was failing to push on the tabs hard enough....it takes some firm pressure.....you won’t break them.
The following users liked this post:
theEnd (01-04-2021)
Old 05-17-2018, 10:56 PM
P4H
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the instructions. Will take this on in the next few days.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:18 AM
Wooly1
Rennlist Member

Here’s an important update on this great DIY. I am using a Uniden R3 and a BlendMount which mounts to the rear view mirror. Therefor the detector is mounted centrally and below the rear view mirror. The power to the R3 comes in on the left side of the device. As you can see in this picture, for power you tap into the blue part on the right side of the yellow plug. The OP of this DIY mounted his detector high on the windshield to the right of the center console. So his power cord went straight to the right of the blue plug and out the right front side of the console. A very short distance. As my detector is mounted centrally and the power is located on the left side of the detector, I of course want to run the cord out of the left front side of the console. The power cable needs to come from the right side of the blue plug, backwards inside the console around to the left front side of the console and down to the plug on the left side of the detector. My point is that if you are using a BlendMount and a detector with a power plug on the left side then a 15” power cord will not be long enough to reach the detectors power plug. Ask me how I know. My 20” cord is now in the mail.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:53 AM
JFerraro17
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Maybe. I used a 15”. I did, however, exit the housing on the right side, and route the wire over to the R3’s jack behind the mirror/through the mount. From the drivers seat it is not visible until it pops out to plug into the detector. I didn’t check the passenger’s seat....since I’ll never sit in it. 😝
Old 05-18-2018, 12:09 PM
Wooly1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JFerraro17
Knocked this out today, took about an hour—mainly due to having only one pair of hands and poor lighting.

My adds: late build 2018 model, both sides of the plug are blue. Shape and size match Illini’s pics, just blue. No big deal, just pointing it out. May be an anomaly.

Having said that, I could not get the #3 tap into the plug on any side of the wire. I even disconnected the plug for better access. I went with the smallest tap, and taped to secure....it wouldn’t fall out, but any pressure (like folding it all back into the space) and they came lose. Ops checks fine, and long drive planned for Saturday, so we’ll see.

Thanks for the great instructions and pics Illini!

are you using needle nose pliers to push the tap into the hole? If your taps are falling out then you definitely need to size up. They shouldn’t do that. I used the second smallest taps. They are snug and take some pressure to get in but using the needle nose pliers and making sure the flat metal part of the tap is flush with which ever side you are inserting it into (bottom for me), it went in nicely and is snug.

Quick Reply: go.illini's radar detector hard wire install