Sponsored by:

Brought home the next one

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 02:10 PM
go.illini
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Brought home the next one

Last fall our 2013 C2S in Cognac metallic left the stable. We picked it up a couple years ago as a CPO from Porsche Atlanta Perimeter and drove it home, making sure to experience the Tail of the Dragon on the way home. Cognac is a wonderful (and rare) color that has never been done justice in any photo I've seen or could take. Truly a color to be experienced in person.

This past Saturday we flew into Charlotte, NC and picked up our CPO 2015 C2S in Sapphire Blue metallic from Hendrick Porsche. Overall it was a great purchase experience and we appreciated the car being as described. Once the paperwork was done, we drove to Asheville to spend the night. Since we had already experienced TotD, we instead left early on Sunday morning to get in as much fun time as we could on the roads north of Asheville along the Blue Ridge Parkway.

The previous evening I looked at one of the many websites dedicated to experiencing the roads in the area. I strung together all or part of several "loops" or "runs" including the Lake James loop, the Devil's Staircase, and Diamondback. We finished with the back half of the Murder Mountain run where we turned north towards Elizabethton, TN. Our only challenges were several parts of the BRP were closed which meant taking some additional detours but we figured it out. From there we worked our way NW towards home. The final highlight was the Cumberland Gap Tunnel in TN on US 25E. Sport exhaust combined with natural aspiration formed a tsunami of sound in the tunnel that had me giggling uncontrollably. My wife on the other hand was more amused by my reactions than having the windows down in chilly weather so we could get the "full effect". We didn't get home until after midnight but it was a great road trip in the perfect car. I don't think we could have planned it any better.

Last edited by go.illini; 04-23-2018 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:27 PM
Boulder Mike
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Congrats! Looks great. Any particular reason for the change?
Old 03-20-2018, 09:21 PM
go.illini
Pro

No reason in particular. We had it a couple years and decided it was time for the next one.

Last edited by go.illini; 03-20-2018 at 11:25 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:23 PM
Boulder Mike
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Good enough! Change is good. Congrats again.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:32 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Very nice! I think I drove some of those same roads on my way home. Flew into Greensboro and stayed the night in Asheville. Great roads on the BRP, see the link on my signature!
Old 03-20-2018, 10:17 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Congrats! Welcome to the SB club.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:18 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Ha! I know that car!
Old 03-20-2018, 10:34 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Great picture and story! I once was in Elizabethton for a few days at Great Lakes Research. Early 1980s. Ran a 10K while I was there. Pretty country! Young and poor at the time
Old 03-20-2018, 11:15 PM
go.illini
Pro

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Ha! I know that car!
Hopefully good things! I actually posted it in the HFS section but it got little interest. After thinking about it I decided to find out more and the rest is history.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:15 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 445 Likes on 318 Posts
Default Nice Ride

Next time you are up that way check out little Switzerland, there is an epic loop.

Originally Posted by go.illini
Hopefully good things! I actually posted it in the HFS section but it got little interest. After thinking about it I decided to find out more and the rest is history.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:45 AM
go.illini
Pro

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
Next time you are up that way check out little Switzerland, there is an epic loop.
We were right in that area on 226A for Diamondback. It was a PITA to get to since the BRP N and S of Little Switzerland was closed.

Let me know if there are other good loops around there. We're planning another trip down there.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:31 PM
R_Rated
Banned

It was well loved and cared for by a PCA member. All maintenance done by the dealer you bought it from. Solid car
Old 03-21-2018, 02:39 PM
go.illini
Pro

It was well loved and cared for by a PCA member. All maintenance done by the dealer you bought it from. Solid car
Whether that's true or not, I like what you say. At this point I own it so it doesn't really matter!
Old 03-21-2018, 02:41 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Whether that's true or not, I like what you say. At this point I own it so it doesn't really matter!
I think a car is more special when it's loved by multiple enthusiasts that take care of it. Sure beats getting a car with a $19.99 jiffy lube oil change receipt in the glovebox.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:38 AM
go.illini
Pro

I think a car is more special when it's loved by multiple enthusiasts that take care of it. Sure beats getting a car with a $19.99 jiffy lube oil change receipt in the glovebox.
I've purchased cars in my youth when I was thrilled to find some evidence of maintenance in the glovebox, but your point is well taken.

Quick Reply: Brought home the next one