Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deer Hit - Repair or Replace?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018 | 06:59 PM
Jeffdehr
Rennlist Member

Default Deer Hit - Repair or Replace?

2017 991.2 C4S Cab with 16,500 miles. I hit a deer two nights ago. I'm fine, the same can't be said about the deer. Luckily it was a small deer and I was going about 40. Of course I was less than 1/4 mile from home. There is a small bruise in the front bumper and larger one on the hood. The driver side headlight plastic cover is broken. The frunk works but does require a little more force to close it now.

Local repair shop said they can repair and paint the hood and bumper, entire headlight assembly must be replaced. $5500

Porsche approved collision center said hood, bumper and headlight must be replaced. Possible unseen damage to what's behind bumper and frunk "bin", can't tell without taking off front bumper. Guess is $9,000 (Yes, I've seen the So You Think Its Just The Bumper thread)

Car is leased, due back in 5 months. I was planning on buying it off lease before this incident. I ordered it so it is built to my exact specifications. I know a deer hit is covered under comprehensive, not collision, and shouldn't raise my insurance rate but it would be another claim which I believe is taken into account.

Take to local repair shop, give car back at end of lease, and lease/buy another? Go to Porsche approved center and buy car at lease end?

Old 03-17-2018 | 07:07 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Just out of curiosity why is that a comprehensive not collision coverage?Good luck with repair.
Old 03-17-2018 | 07:11 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by gellie
Just out of curiosity why is that a comprehensive not collision coverage?Good luck with repair.
Because he struck a moving object.

For example, if he avoided and missed the deer, but then struck another car/tree/whatever, that would be collision. So, hit the deer.
Old 03-17-2018 | 07:19 PM
STG
Race Director

Accident on CarFax, give the car back. Kills resale.
Old 03-17-2018 | 07:47 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Very similar to a deer hit I had on our BMW. The hood was not replaced although the bumper cover was. The repair to my eye is perfect. It’s even a similar color to our car.

If if you want to keep the car for long term I’d do the cheap fix and not worry about it. Keep the photos of the damage so that when you sell the car the buyer can be assured that the damage was not too serious.

If you get a new car the depreciation hit will far outweigh the diminished value hit.

Old 03-17-2018 | 07:52 PM
STG
Race Director

It's a leased car! Give it back.

Depreciation and resale isn't his problem
Old 03-17-2018 | 08:12 PM
RichAA
Racer

Originally Posted by STG
It's a leased car! Give it back.

Depreciation and resale isn't his problem
+1
Old 03-17-2018 | 08:54 PM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Originally Posted by Pep!RRRR
Very similar to a deer hit I had on our BMW. The hood was not replaced although the bumper cover was. The repair to my eye is perfect. It’s even a similar color to our car.

If if you want to keep the car for long term I’d do the cheap fix and not worry about it. Keep the photos of the damage so that when you sell the car the buyer can be assured that the damage was not too serious.

If you get a new car the depreciation hit will far outweigh the diminished value hit.
If it were a car I wanted to buy at lease end, I would have the insurance company pay to repair the full damage now. The repair would be paid for under Comprehensive coverage, so no impact on your rate going forward, at least with State Farm (I have personal experience with a deer hit with State Farm). Keep copies of the repair record so you can show the full extent of the repair. If there are any factory-applied labels on the underside of the hood, they won't make it to the replacement hood.

And yes, the depreciation hit from a new car will far exceed any diminished value hit.
Old 03-17-2018 | 09:10 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

How long do you envision keeping this car (assuming you go ahead and buy it)? If only another couple of years, then you probably should consider resale issues. If you have a longer ownership in mind, I say follow through with your plan, get it fixed right, and enjoy it.
Old 03-17-2018 | 09:38 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

That'll buff right out...

If you plan on keeping the car 10 more years, keep it...

Otherwise:

turn in...
Old 03-18-2018 | 02:07 AM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Can definitely understand hood replacement, but the bumper cover? C'mon. And unseen damage? Also ridiculous. Small deer at low speed that barely damaged a thing. There's no unseen damage.
Old 03-18-2018 | 02:15 AM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Originally Posted by Churchill
Can definitely understand hood replacement, but the bumper cover? C'mon. And unseen damage? Also ridiculous. Small deer at low speed that barely damaged a thing. There's no unseen damage.
Easy for you to say. Without full inspection, there is no way to know for sure. OP has insurance, so why shouldn't they have insurance pay for the inspection and repair back to specification? That is what the insurance is there for.
Old 03-18-2018 | 07:56 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Another easy one, fix for cheap, give it back, get a 992 when it comes out
Old 03-18-2018 | 10:44 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

That's more of a deer tickle than a deer hit. I've had three deer strikes since 1996 (two in BMW's, one in a Freightliner) and they wee way more catastrophic than that. You have to get the car fixed anyways, those are such minor items I'd not worry about it.
Old 03-18-2018 | 11:01 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

I'm rather shocked you are considering the local body shop's cheaper "patch it up" approach at all. Aluminum panels are much harder to get smooth in a repair than steel. From I what see there I'd guess that have to Bondo the hood. Why would you even consider such a thing?! It'll cost you nothing more to get a proper fix since insurance will pay to do it right.

Whether or not you choose to keep the car (and deal with its possible future diminished sale value), get it fixed right at the Porsche-approved shop! If you don't, in the back of your mind you'll always know there is second-rate repair work under the surface of your pride and joy.

Last edited by StormRune; 03-18-2018 at 08:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Deer Hit - Repair or Replace?