Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shipping Question (Determining Vessel)

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 06:58 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was about to post that arrival in Emden seems delayed to March 17. That would seem to mean that both the Athens Highway and the Dalian Highway will be in port at the same time.

In any case, that seems to mean that arrival in the States is delayed by a bit and that it is less clarity about which vessel will be doing the transporting.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:27 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

Current projected arrivals in Emden:

Athens Highway: 3/17 at 12:00
Dalian Highway: 3/18 at 8:00

So basically, it's completely unclear which boat to follow.
Old 03-14-2018, 02:10 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 698 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by FI Flyer
Current projected arrivals in Emden:

Athens Highway: 3/17 at 12:00
Dalian Highway: 3/18 at 8:00

So basically, it's completely unclear which boat to follow.
Athens Highway is scheduled to arrive in Davisville on 30 March and Dalian Highway is scheduled to arrive in Davisville on 4 April, according to the latest schedule. Hoping that my car gets on Athens Highway!
Old 03-14-2018, 09:52 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGee
Looks like I’m on the Taurus Leader which left Emden 3/8, and Southampton today. Projected date into San Diego is 4/6.

DaveGee
My dealer says my Carrera GTS is on the same boat. Which I have a little trouble believing, since I was told it exited production and was given a VIN on 3/8. Not sure how they got it to Emden on onto a boat so quickly, but I do hope it's true. My dealer is in Riverside, 100 miles from SD. Where is your car headed?

DMoore
'18 911 GTS on board (I hope) Taurus Leader
Old 03-15-2018, 09:49 AM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 269 Posts

Yeah, that sounds suspicious. Ask the dealer (Walters I assume?) for a screen shot from the PPN showing the cars progress. A copy of mine is below. The key date is the date it exited assembly. If it really exited assembly on 3/8, there’s no way it made the 3/8 boat. They need time to get to Emden - never mind the que to get on a boat. Hopefully your car exited assembly before 3/8 and indeed is on the Taurus Leader - currently scheduled to arrive San Diego on 4/6. My dealer is in Irvine.

DaveGee
Old 03-16-2018, 08:53 AM
FI Flyer
Racer

According to marinetraffic.com, it appears that Athens Highway has cleared the straits of Dover and should certainly make its projected ETA in Emden of 7:30 tomorrow morning. On the other hand, the Dalian Highway is still in mid-Atlantic off the Iberian peninsula with a long way to go before its ETA of 8:00 on Sunday.

Of course, if there is no car loading in Emden over the weekend, it may not make a difference as both ships may have arrived by Monday. (Does anyone know if they work a five-day or a seven-day week?)

In any case, it seems more likely to me that the next ship to be loaded will likely be the Athens Highway but I am less clear when she will depart for the States. The schedule projects that she will be loading on March 19/20 and she seems to be solidly on schedule which puts her in Davisville on the 30th of this month.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:12 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

The Athens Highway is in Emden (right on schedule.) I assume that they won't load until Monday. I'm hoping that my car makes the boat. And then ....
Old 03-17-2018, 02:39 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

The Athens Highway is in Emden (right on schedule.) I assume that they won't load until Monday. I'm hoping that my car makes the boat. And then ....
I watched it moor this morning (live, on the map hahaha). Still scheduled to depart 19/20. Keeping my fingers crossed that My car is on that boat!
Old 03-20-2018, 10:01 AM
FI Flyer
Racer

It's Tuesday morning, March 20th and the Athens Highway is still in port and the Dalian Highway is about to enter. And I still don't know on which -- if either -- vessel my new car will be transported.

I called my salesperson yesterday and he had nothing new which makes sense if the car is still in the process of loading (or, equally, if it is still waiting to be loaded on another boat.)

So that leads me to ask how long is it from when a car is loaded on a ship until the Porsche tracking system is updated and available to my SA?
Old 03-20-2018, 01:46 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 57 Posts

My dealer confirmed mine was on the boat the same day it left port.
Seems like if I am remembering correctly it left early in the morning Germany time which was middle of the night here and I knew by lunch time.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:09 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Athens Highway left Emden a little while ago. Hope my car made it!
Old 03-22-2018, 12:58 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

Happily, it did (make it aboard the Athens Highway) and left Emden on March 20th.

So Hurricane's and my car are both on board. Anyone else?

The marinetraffic.com route is a bit strange in that rather than heading straight into Narragansett Bay, the ship is supposed to pass along the south coast of Long Island, then up the East River into the Long Island Sound before turning into Narragansett Bay. I have no idea why.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:20 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Confirmed today, mine is on Athens Highway! SA said it should be at dealer 3-4 days after it arrives at Davisville...

Old 03-22-2018, 05:14 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 269 Posts

See if you can figure out which shipping line owns your boat.

My car is on the Taurus Leader which is owned by NYK Lines (Athens Highway is not). By going to their web site I was able to get a copy of their schedule for the boat, which appears to be updated regularly. See the attachment. This combined with marinetraffic.com paints a pretty good picture of when our ship comes in.

DaveGee
Old 03-22-2018, 06:51 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 57 Posts

Happily, it did (make it aboard the Athens Highway) and left Emden on March 20th.

So Hurricane's and my car are both on board. Anyone else?

The marinetraffic.com route is a bit strange in that rather than heading straight into Narragansett Bay, the ship is supposed to pass along the south coast of Long Island, then up the East River into the Long Island Sound before turning into Narragansett Bay. I have no idea why.
Possibly it makes a stop in the Newark area to offload something?? Does seem like a strange route and it would be hard to imagine them going out of their way like that considering operating costs if they did not have a reason.
I can only assume the boat will undergo some sort of heavy maintenance visit at an intermediate port and that will take about 6 months and then it will continue to Davisville to offload your car! lol

Quick Reply: Shipping Question (Determining Vessel)