Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speeding Ticket Chicago

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 05:58 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Yeah except now he has no room for error and what were those attorney fees?
Old 03-25-2018, 06:19 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,200 Likes on 723 Posts

Seems like a decent outcome. Did he get points?

$400 is nothing compared to jail time.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:35 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I am usualy near the VA-DC-MD area, you do not speed here (VA for sure). I know so many people are speeding in the NOVA area - when you get busted here, it is bad period. I am always at the speed limit and yes, I have the car and everyone is looking and thinking "why are you driving speed limit?" (car does attract attention at times from local LEOs, better just drive peacefully and be relaxed).

For the OP, get a good lawyer. You pay for quality do not skimp out on this. You don't have to go super expensive but super cheap attorneys is a big no-no.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:35 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,724 Likes on 1,071 Posts

I live in Chicagoland and have had many tickets in my life. I have almost always not gotten an attorney and just plead guilty and begged for supervision and/or an online class. I’m not saying “don’t get an attorney,” but when you do, you pay the state and the attorney, rather than just the state.

While it’s true that you must keep clean during supervision, I’ve found that it’s not that hard to do, and it used to be ‘county-by-county’ so that if you got supervision in one county or state, they wouldn’t necessarily know if you got nabbed again.

I also don’t believe in radar detectors. Well, I used to believe in them and relied on them, but my ticket rate declines considerably when I just use my eyes and ears (listening for airplanes) instead.

In general, in chicagoland, I find you can drive pretty fast and not get nabbed due to the large numbers of cars. I’m also one of the few that slow down for construction zones and road workers.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:38 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
I live in Chicagoland and have had many tickets in my life. I have almost always not gotten an attorney and just plead guilty and begged for supervision and/or an online class. I’m not saying “don’t get an attorney,” but when you do, you pay the state and the attorney, rather than just the state.

While it’s true that you must keep clean during supervision, I’ve found that it’s not that hard to do, and it used to be ‘county-by-county’ so that if you got supervision in one county or state, they wouldn’t necessarily know if you got nabbed again.

I also don’t believe in radar detectors. Well, I used to believe in them and relied on them, but my ticket rate declines considerably when I just use my eyes and ears (listening for airplanes) instead.

In general, in chicagoland, I find you can drive pretty fast and not get nabbed due to the large numbers of cars. I’m also one of the few that slow down for construction zones and road workers.
Very true about radar detectors. I put my V1 away long time ago. Took so much driving stress out.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:42 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Radar detectors cause stress? Who knew? They seem to give me comfort.
The following users liked this post:
Larson E. Rapp (04-23-2023)
Old 03-25-2018, 06:46 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StormRune
... interesting story from Jalopnik's Patrick George on just how bad this can go in Virginia, like Rick pointed out in an earlier post:
https://jalopnik.com/never-speed-in-...-in-1613604053
Wow, remind me never to set foot in Virginia. That story is unbelievable.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:22 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,248 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Wow, remind me never to set foot in Virginia. That story is unbelievable.
I've been on multiple car forums for a while. This is one of a million examples. Don't speed in VA.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:35 PM
go.illini
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Seems like a decent outcome. Did he get points?

$400 is nothing compared to jail time.
The cost of an attorney is nothing compared to jail time either. He didn't want to take any chances.

The lawyer thought he might get the choice between community service and supervision but ultimately only supervision was offered.

My understanding is no tickets for the next four months and nothing will appear on his record.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:27 PM
jasonfreed
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by go.illini
Update: My buddy hired an attorney that specializes in these cases who was able to get his court date moved up by over a month. The final result was a $400 fine and 4 months supervision, plus attorney fee. He had no previous record.

Pretty good outcome in my opinion. Next up he's buying a good radar detector.
Great news for him.

One tiny thing he wants to find out.

Did the ticket get reduced to a normal moving violation or did it stay a class B misdemeanor?

The reason it matters is that my understanding is that once you've had supervision on a class A or B, you are not eligible again.

Just something he needs to know for the future.

Also, insurance will not find out but it does stay on his court transcript.

So, he does need to try to avoid one of these types of tickets again.

If it got reduced to a normal moving violation, ignore the above and speed on😁
Old 03-25-2018, 09:32 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,200 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonfreed
Great news for him.

One tiny thing he wants to find out.

Did the ticket get reduced to a normal moving violation or did it stay a class B misdemeanor?

The reason it matters is that my understanding is that once you've had supervision on a class A or B, you are not eligible again.

Just something he needs to know for the future.

Also, insurance will not find out but it does stay on his court transcript.

So, he does need to try to avoid one of these types of tickets again.

If it got reduced to a normal moving violation, ignore the above and speed on😁
past the state line . . . .lol
Old 03-26-2018, 09:58 AM
jasonfreed
Rennlist Member

I disagree in this case as he got a Class B Misdemeanor (Criminal Ticket) - not a simple moving violation.

If you have an attorney, you usually do not even need to go to court as they can make the appearance for you AND if you do need to go, you are called first - much better if you're in Cook County Court where there are 200 people sitting in the court room.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:13 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jasonfreed
I disagree in this case as he got a Class B Misdemeanor (Criminal Ticket) - not a simple moving violation.

If you have an attorney, you usually do not even need to go to court as they can make the appearance for you AND if you do need to go, you are called first - much better if you're in Cook County Court where there are 200 people sitting in the court room.
Yeah, I guess you are right. While I have gotten a lot of speeding trickets in my life, none have been a Class B misdemeanors.

I think there’s an art to getting caught. That’s right, I said getting caught, not getting away. The way I see it, the cop wants a ticket, and the state needs money, so getting caught is not the issue, it’s how you get caught. To be honest, most cops will not write you up for a ticket that’s 30 over. Even on 290 or 90/94 when the speed limit drops to 55mph, traffic is often running 80-85mph, which is still not 30-over. Even if I was running 90-95 on that road, most cops will still write up something like 83. So I’ve begged, pleaded, or just respectfully asked cops please don’t write me up if as my record is clean and I “was just being stupid.”

Old 03-26-2018, 11:22 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary JR
Radar detectors cause stress? Who knew? They seem to give me comfort.
Same here, just bought an R3 so I could get better coverage. I don't have it so I could drive 100 mph all the time but instead when they decide that 68 mph is ticketable.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:44 AM
jasonfreed
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I guess you are right. While I have gotten a lot of speeding trickets in my life, none have been a Class B misdemeanors.

I think there’s an art to getting caught. That’s right, I said getting caught, not getting away. The way I see it, the cop wants a ticket, and the state needs money, so getting caught is not the issue, it’s how you get caught. To be honest, most cops will not write you up for a ticket that’s 30 over. Even on 290 or 90/94 when the speed limit drops to 55mph, traffic is often running 80-85mph, which is still not 30-over. Even if I was running 90-95 on that road, most cops will still write up something like 83. So I’ve begged, pleaded, or just respectfully asked cops please don’t write me up if as my record is clean and I “was just being stupid.”

Agreed - usually they reduce the speed. It's when they don't you need a lawyer

Quick Reply: Speeding Ticket Chicago