Sponsored by:

Speeding Ticket Chicago

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 01:20 AM
go.illini
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Speeding Ticket Chicago

A buddy of mine just got a speeding ticket in his 911 on I-294 for 30 over which is a Class B Misdemeanor. Anyone have recommendations for a law firm he can talk to? This is his first offense.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:27 AM
txpackers
Racer

Received 302 Likes on 135 Posts

Why does he need a law firm? Was he not really going 30 over? Sounds like he's guilty but has enough money to get a good lawyer to get him off through some loop hole. Personally, I'd go to court without a lawyer and plead stupidity, apologize, and beg for mercy from the judge. It will be reduced.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:59 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,200 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by txpackers
Why does he need a law firm? Was he not really going 30 over? Sounds like he's guilty but has enough money to get a good lawyer to get him off through some loop hole. Personally, I'd go to court without a lawyer and plead stupidity, apologize, and beg for mercy from the judge. It will be reduced.
It's all a scam - judges and traffic lawyers are in cohotes, one hand washes the other. Got a ticket a few years ago for practically the same thing Got a traffic lawyer and my 8 pts speeding was reduced to 4 points for following too closely. Best bet is to get a traffic lawyer because they have friends in the courts and know the loopholes. Going to court yourself is risky, imho, especially for 30 over - you are just taking your chances. I initially tried to do it myself and guy was going to reduce to 6 points speeding, which would have still killed me on insurance, with a speeding citation on my record. If no one here responds, look up traffic lawyers for his county and call them and send them a copy of the citation, they should be able to tell him what they can do.
The following 2 users liked this post by Porsche_nuts:
Bud Taylor (04-22-2023), regajohn (04-28-2023)
Old 03-09-2018, 08:10 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

Can you get jail time in Chicago for 30 over? I know you can in Virginia.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:55 AM
go.illini
Pro

From what I read online Class B misdemeanor in IL is up to 6 months jail and $1500 fine plus court costs.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:05 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

If it is like here you, er your buddy , will be getting letters from traffic lawyers RSN. They know when you need them.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:26 AM
Sharm
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by go.illini
A buddy of mine just got a speeding ticket in his 911 on I-294 for 30 over which is a Class B Misdemeanor. Anyone have recommendations for a law firm he can talk to? This is his first offense.
Just curious, was he riding with "protection" at the time?
Old 03-09-2018, 09:36 AM
ezinternet
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

PM sent.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:32 AM
mtgadbois
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Years ago you could plead guilty, pay fine, ask for court supervision and in 6 months your record would be cleared. Don't know if that is still happening. On 294 he should have stayed under 80, probably under 75 if in a 911.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:45 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,248 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Originally Posted by txpackers
From what I read online Class B misdemeanor in IL is up to 6 months jail and $1500 fine plus court costs.
It just takes one judge with a board up his butt and your friend is in jail. With that risk, I'd get a lawyer.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:13 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
It just takes one judge with a board up his butt and your friend is in jail. With that risk, I'd get a lawyer.
Agreed. I tried to do the noble stand-alone thing and went to court by myself for a ticket in San Diego once a long time ago. When it was my turn the judge was already pissed because of some cases before me and didn't give me a chance to say anything else after the words "guilty but..." came out of my mouth. While there was no jail risk, the fine he levied was far more than if I had just paid the ticket before court... just for wasting his time coming to court to plead guilty. I was stunned.

A lawyer can often get this pled-down to something more palatable before you appear.

And not that I'm saying this will happen but with the change of jail time, there's this interesting story from Jalopnik's Patrick George on just how bad this can go in Virginia, like Rick pointed out in an earlier post:
https://jalopnik.com/never-speed-in-...-in-1613604053
Old 03-09-2018, 12:20 PM
jasonfreed
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
He 100% needs a CRIMINAL lawyer - not a normal traffic lawyer.

This is because his case will be handles in criminal court, not a normal traffic court.

Was this ticket in Lake County or Cook County?

I had a Class A misdemeanor speeding ticket a number of years back - pain in the *** to deal with.

I was the only one with a coat and tie - everyone else had an orange jumpsuit on

From my experience, a class B is a lot less of an issue because he is eligible for supervision - BUT, he MUST have an attorney with him.

I used Charles Beach who was awesome (in Cook County) - I think he is a judge now so that won't help.

please make sure he has a lawyer - this can be sort of a big deal in Illinois.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:44 PM
go.illini
Pro

Ticket was issued in Cook County.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:51 PM
jasonfreed
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Ticket was issued in Cook County.
Here is a link to what used to be Charlie Beach's website.

I know nothing about these guys but it's a start - he needs someone familiar with aggravated speeding charges.

This should be a simple appearance, supervision and done.

Mine was a class A and my driving record was not great so it was a pain.

His should not be a problem since he was only going 30mph over and has a clean record.

http://www.duichicago.com/
Old 03-10-2018, 01:12 AM
phow
Pro

Received 234 Likes on 114 Posts

Get a lawyer. If it’s his first offense he will get supervision. If he shows up without a lawyer the case will just get continued as the judge will require that he obtain legal counsel since there is the potential for jail time (no matter how unlikely).

Cook county doesn’t jail first time speeding offenders. It’s had enough to get time for some jackass on his 4th DUI that injuries someone in a traffic collision.

Quick Reply: Speeding Ticket Chicago