Sponsored by:

Satin Platinum replacement wheel does not match

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 01:59 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by awrryan
I wonder if the mismatched front wheel is for a cayman or boxster. My buddy picked up a 2015 or 2014 cayman S with those wheels and his Platinum semi gloss wheels were lighter than mine on my 991. Noticeably. All of his were like your front mismatched wheels. Mine are like the rest on your car. Ask your dealer to look into this.
I’m telling you. Look into my explanation above. Not sure how else the color of the wheels on my buddy’s cayman could be so different than mine on my 991.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:27 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm going with they actually changed the color. Despite the option (XDH) staying the same, the monroney calls it Wheels painted Platinum (semi-gloss). The configurator today calls it Wheels Painted in Platinum Satin. In my experience there is a very noticeable difference between semi-gloss & satin. Seems odd Porsche would do that and keep the same option code, but that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:31 PM
gearFX
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

I wonder if the mismatched front wheel is for a cayman or boxster. My buddy picked up a 2015 or 2014 cayman S with those wheels and his Platinum semi gloss wheels were lighter than mine on my 991. Noticeably. All of his were like your front mismatched wheels. Mine are like the rest on your car. Ask your dealer to look into this.
I’m telling you. Look into my explanation above. Not sure how else the color of the wheels on my buddy’s cayman could be so different than mine on my 991.
I'm with Gordon. While I don't think that the Platinum Satin 981 wheels are necessarily lighter colored (compared with 991 of the same year), I wouldn't be surprised if the paint formulation (or BBS' finish method or supplier) changed between model years, perhaps in the 2015 timeframe as awrryan suggests above.

For reference, my 2015 981 with the same finish wheels appear to match the OP's rear wheel's darker color (they are almost as dark as the tire itself).

Originally Posted by STG
The new front wheel is the right color. The rear looks dirty and covered with brake dust.
Even though the OP claims that the car was just detailed in the pics, STG may still be on to something. The matte satin finish may actually retain or stubbornly cling more dirt, brake dust, and grime than the more glossy finishes (over time), which may not wash off as easily.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:35 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

I had a set off a 2013 a while back. They looked just like these pictures.

This satin platinum looks VERY different depending on pictures and lighting. Can look almost black in some pics.

The satin is textured and not gloss/smooth. I could see the color aging over time to a slightly darker hue?

These pictures are a good representation.

Old 03-08-2018, 04:39 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 182 Posts

I think the lighter color is correct. Maybe there was a paint change. Mine is .2.

'17 .2 Platinum Carrera S.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:02 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 260 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by KenTO
Just change all 4 wheels to new.
Makes sense. My local watch maker wants me to buy a new watch every time I go in for a battery replacement!
I also believe that more folks can benefit from new (NA) engines than oil changes.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:08 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,580 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Hmmm.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:34 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 609 Posts

Heat cycles could have an affect on wheel color/finish that's subtle...right up until you replace one wheel.

Even if the above is a non issue, most people I have spoken to about refinishing wheels recommend doing both wheels on one side of the car. That includes Harvey Weidman, who is known to adjust the formula for the black paint on his restored Fuchs according to the day's humidity.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:54 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 260 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Heat cycles could have an affect on wheel color/finish that's subtle...right up until you replace one wheel.

Even if the above is a non issue, most people I have spoken to about refinishing wheels recommend doing both wheels on one side of the car. That includes Harvey Weidman, who is known to adjust the formula for the black paint on his restored Fuchs according to the day's humidity.
That's good to know.
However, I find it unfair to customers that they should have to finish both wheels, resulting in an increased and unnecessary expense due to the inability of the manufacturer to color match their own wheels.
That still leaves one exposed to the random and discriminating pair of eyes that catch the subtle difference, from side to side.
Porsche should refinish all 4 wheels free of charge, and apologize for the inconvenience in no particular order.

Good day.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:07 PM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Screen shot below if from the original post. Look at the wheel cap. Sorry, there is no way the wheel got that much darker with only 5,000 miles on it. The new wheel color is lighter.

Old 03-09-2018, 12:08 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
That's good to know.
However, I find it unfair to customers that they should have to finish both wheels, resulting in an increased and unnecessary expense due to the inability of the manufacturer to color match their own wheels.
That still leaves one exposed to the random and discriminating pair of eyes that catch the subtle difference, from side to side.
Porsche should refinish all 4 wheels free of charge, and apologize for the inconvenience in no particular order.

Good day.
No need to get "ankry"—just trying to offer some thoughts....
Old 03-09-2018, 12:17 AM
RoWa
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

When I was researching BBS wheel colors last year, looking for the actual paint formulation for OC6 Dark Titanium, I came across 2 formulations for the 0B5 Platinum Metallic color, one from 2012 to 2013 and one from 2014-2018.
The formulations, while similar, are different. This likely does not account for the difference in the OP's wheels, but does show that the formulation of OB5 changed over time.

Post with attached pdfs:As a side not, I should add that the only paint shop that I found locally capable of using Glasurit 90 line paint, told me that it would be cheaper to buy a new wheel than re-paint the wheel that I had an issue with.

Old 03-09-2018, 03:12 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

My 2013 cs satin platinum wheels when new for comparison
Name:  Fzhplyl.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  505.7 KB
Old 03-11-2018, 06:31 PM
RoWa
Instructor

Platinum Satin 0b5 touch up paint in bottle and in can is available at the following site, but delivery is limited to Germany & Austria https://www.tristarcolor.com/autolacke/porsche/?p=1

Various Porsche wheel paints available from this UK site. http://www.wheelpaints.co.uk/CAR-MAN...s-I-P/Porsche/

Last edited by RoWa; 03-12-2018 at 01:32 AM.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:48 AM
RoWa
Instructor

Originally Posted by OK911
After of only a month of ownership of my first Porsche, 2014 4s with only 5k miles on it I was struck by some extra long lugbolts sticking out of the front wheel of a semi when he attempted to change lanes into me. Luckily the only thing injured was my front left wheel. The truking company’s insurance paid for a full suspension inspection and a new wheel from Porsche. Well....... the wheel finally arrives, they put it on the car and voila! Its several shades lighter than my other 3 wheels. It is very obvious with old centercap in place. So my service guy ( who is fantastic) chalks it up to a bad paint batch and orders another...drumroll........same lighter color. Platinum Satin part numbers match up exactly. Maybe my wheels are the weird ones? Found some photos of 2014 991s with satin Platinum and they are all dark grey like mine.. maybe the formula changed after 2014? Here are some picks of my car with the new mismatched wheel and a couple 2014s with darker satin platinum like mine. My advisor sent the wheels back to poresche and filed some sort of claim to move this up ....
OP was there any resolution to this?

Quick Reply: Satin Platinum replacement wheel does not match