991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glasurit wheel color recipes for OC6 and OB5

Old 12-14-2017, 02:03 AM
RoWa
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Glasurit wheel color recipes for Carrera Classic and Carrera S wheels (OC6, OB5, 88Z)

Was researching last year for paint to re-finish my Carrera Classics. The paint color is OC6 Dark Titanium. I didn't find the recipe for the color at the time, but kept looking.
The formula below is from the Glasurit website.
I have also attached as pdfs the recipes for the colors of the Carrera S wheels, OB5 Platinum Metallic, OB5 Platinum Metallic Satin (Seidenmatt) and 88Z Brilliant Chrome Silver Alloy (FELGEN BRILLANTCHROM MET)
As has been noted on another thread, East Bay Color Service in San Jose has the OB5 recipe already on file in their computer system.
The BASF website can help find a body shop that uses the Glasurit paints as many do not. http://www.refinish.basf.us/bodyshop_locator.html
Now all we need to is to get some samples to Dr. Colorchip so he can make some touch up paint

Search Terms: Carrera Classic, Carrera S wheel, paint code, paintcode, wheel color

Last edited by RoWa; 12-17-2017 at 11:17 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:56 AM
rjhagan
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, so I have the folks in San Jose mixing up the 0B5 Platinum Metallic Seidenmatt tomorrow, found a shop to spray it, but can't figure out if I still need a Satin clear coat to go over it or is it part of the formula itself.... Anyone know? If not, would any satin clear coat work?
Old 03-23-2018, 02:18 PM
RoWa
Instructor

Originally Posted by rjhagan
OK, so I have the folks in San Jose mixing up the 0B5 Platinum Metallic Seidenmatt tomorrow, found a shop to spray it, but can't figure out if I still need a Satin clear coat to go over it or is it part of the formula itself.... Anyone know? If not, would any satin clear coat work?
It's a 2 step formula with the second step being a clearcoat ... so yes, clearcoat is required. I just had the guys at German Autobody in Santa Clara spray a test card for me. The clear came out a little glossy, but they can make it more matt as needed. German Autobody is a Glasurit shop so they actually do the mix in the paint shop and they are used to doing wheels as well as regular body work. I will pm you too.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:09 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

90 line is a water borne system, which is new and uncommon to find. Only progressive shops would be using it. If you could find the color formulas in different paints, 22 line, 55 line, or different brands you would have better luck finding a shop to paint it.
The formulas dont necessarily transfer line to line.

http://techinfo.glasurit.com/en_UK/P...D/90_print.pdf
Old 05-05-2018, 02:52 PM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm in for some touch up paint for OB5 Platinum Metallic Satin for my Carrera S wheels.
Old 05-05-2018, 04:11 PM
phx991
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How much are shops charging to paint these wheels with Glasurit?
Old 08-21-2018, 01:51 PM
RoWa
Instructor

Originally Posted by phx991
How much are shops charging to paint these wheels with Glasurit?
German Auto Body is $150 per wheel
Old 08-21-2018, 02:14 PM
caymanreview
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RoWa
German Auto Body is $150 per wheel
Where is German Auto Body?

I'm in SoCal and desperately trying to find a shop that can powder coat to match OB5 (or a damn close match). Everywhere I call says they don't use Galsurit and pics of their samples look nothing like Platinum Satin. Need a legit shop in SocCal to powder coat.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:20 PM
smbryan
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by caymanreview
Where is German Auto Body?

I'm in SoCal and desperately trying to find a shop that can powder coat to match OB5 (or a damn close match). Everywhere I call says they don't use Galsurit and pics of their samples look nothing like Platinum Satin. Need a legit shop in SocCal to powder coat.
Wheel Enhancement
Old 08-21-2018, 02:25 PM
caymanreview
Intermediate

Originally Posted by smbryan
Wheel Enhancement
Thanks. I actually called them. They're a possibility but they are also wildly expensive and quoted me a two week turn time which I thought was nuts.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:36 PM
RoWa
Instructor

Thanks. I actually called them. They're a possibility but they are also wildly expensive and quoted me a two week turn time which I thought was nuts.
Try the link at the top to the BASF site that lists body shops using Glasurit paint http://www.refinish.basf.us/bodyshop_locator.html

Glasurit is a paint, and the OB5 is a 2 step paint process, the base color coat then clear. It is not a powder that can be used for powder coating, and the regular powder suppliers to powder coating shops will not be able to match the color exactly.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:36 PM
caymanreview
Intermediate

Try the link at the top to the BASF site that lists body shops using Glasurit paint http://www.refinish.basf.us/bodyshop_locator.html

Glasurit is a paint, and the OB5 is a 2 step paint process, the base color coat then clear. It is not a powder that can be used for powder coating, and the regular powder suppliers to powder coating shops will not be able to match the color exactly.

Thank you. So I guess I need to decide if I want to paint and get an exact match or powder coat and settle for close.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:29 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

you can put base coat paint on and powdercoat clear over that
Old 08-21-2018, 08:35 PM
RoWa
Instructor

Thank you. So I guess I need to decide if I want to paint and get an exact match or powder coat and settle for close.
That is correct. Note that the powder coating shop that I used also painted the center caps for me.

There are other threads on RL on the subject of powder coating, but I think the general recommendations were:
- Don't powder coat forged wheels as high oven temperature affects wheel strength (note this seems to be a controversial topic)
- Make sure that the hub mating surfaces and where the wheel lug nuts seat are masked off
- Remove the old paint using media blasting, not baking off in the oven
- Uses a low-temperature powder/oven

My own experience here in the SF Bay Area is that the quality of work varies significantly between different shops and "as perfect as if it came out of the factory" is a high bar that most shops will not understand, entertain or reach.
Most are volume shops, and most of their customers don't look very hard at the inside rim or the barrel of their wheels ... of course YMMV

HTH

Last edited by RoWa; 08-21-2018 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:39 PM
caymanreview
Intermediate

That is correct. Note that the powder coating shop that I used also painted the center caps for me.

There are other threads on RL on the subject of powder coating, but I think the general recommendation were:
- Don't powder coat forged wheels as high oven temperature affects wheel strength (note this seems to be a controversial topic)
- Make sure that the hub mating surfaces and where the wheel lug nuts seat are masked off
- Remove the old paint using media blasting, not baking off in the oven
- Uses a low-temperature powder/oven

My own experience here in the SF Bay Area is that the quality of works varies significantly between different shops and "as perfect as if it came out of the factory" is a high bar that most shops will not understand, entertain or reach.
Most are volume shops, and most of their customers don't look very hard at the inside rim or the barrel of their wheels ... of course YMMV

HTH

Thanks RoWa. Appreciate the help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Glasurit wheel color recipes for OC6 and OB5