Sponsored by:

PCM Radio Problems - Common?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2020, 04:03 PM
mov_ovr
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flgfish
Thanks flgfish! I was able to create a DVD and in under 15 minutes, my PCM was finally updated to V3.43. A straight forward process.

I had tried to order the disc but it doesn't seem to exist anymore for purchase. Frustratingly, the local dealer tech skipped updating my PCM despite being on my recent service order to update the navigation map.
The following users liked this post:
flgfish (02-22-2020)
Old 02-21-2020, 07:17 PM
CSTROH
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jstdenis
Purchased 2014 cab in May 2018 and drove until Oct without PCM issues. Put the car in storage(with battery tender) in Oct and took it out of storage in April 2019. Car started immediately but radio started an on/off routine and No CD operation, No maps. Dealer replaced PCM under CPO and said it was bad hard drive and common issue.

I have a vey similar situation with my 7-spd 2014 Carrera 2S with 20,000 miles. I live in Michigan and didn't start the car for a couple of weeks until I decided to get ready to get shipped down to Florida for the winter. I started it up on a 42 degree afternoon, car noted it was in storage mode at startup time, otherwise started up totally normally and it seemed happy, I let idle for a few minutes and off I went to the car wash that is about a mile and a half away from home. After the carwash I drove the car for about 40 minutes. The next day, I started the car and all was fine for the first few minutes then the PCM (Radio, nav, etc....) started resetting every 3-4 minutes. The PCM/radio/nav-screen would quit with a click that sounded like a short circuit or CD player engaging sound, a click and the PCM screen would go blank. It would reset with the Carrera S screen and model silhouette, and return to FM present #1. I tried restarting the car, resetting the PCM by pressing the INFO and SOUND buttons until the unit reset, again showing the model silhouette and startup sequence. The issues persisted and is now at the dealer. They reported trying a few "hard reboots" and software updates but problem persists. They are charging nearly $4,000 for a new PCM unit as a fix. I mentioned threads like these and said this is a known problem. The service advisor said he would do would he could on price.

Unfortunately, the car was scheduled to be shipped in enclosed trailer to Florida just as I discovered this problem. I elected to have it addressed at a dealer in South Florida with whom I'm unfamiliar, instead of with my regular dealership in Michigan.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? What was the cost? What was the fix? My car is not under warranty, however despite this, my service rep convinced Porsche to cover replacement of a faulty dynamic motor mount free of charge. I found similar complaints about the dynamic motor mount issue on similar models so hopefully Porsche is just as gracious about the PCM unit as they were the faulty Dynamic Motor Mount.

The following users liked this post:
Rod Butt (05-26-2020)
Old 02-21-2020, 07:55 PM
Neuropel
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CSTROH
I have a vey similar situation with my 7-spd 2014 Carrera 2S with 20,000 miles. I live in Michigan and didn't start the car for a couple of weeks until I decided to get ready to get shipped down to Florida for the winter. I started it up on a 42 degree afternoon, car noted it was in storage mode at startup time, otherwise started up totally normally and it seemed happy, I let idle for a few minutes and off I went to the car wash that is about a mile and a half away from home. After the carwash I drove the car for about 40 minutes. The next day, I started the car and all was fine for the first few minutes then the PCM (Radio, nav, etc....) started resetting every 3-4 minutes. The PCM/radio/nav-screen would quit with a click that sounded like a short circuit or CD player engaging sound, a click and the PCM screen would go blank. It would reset with the Carrera S screen and model silhouette, and return to FM present #1. I tried restarting the car, resetting the PCM by pressing the INFO and SOUND buttons until the unit reset, again showing the model silhouette and startup sequence. The issues persisted and is now at the dealer. They reported trying a few "hard reboots" and software updates but problem persists. They are charging nearly $4,000 for a new PCM unit as a fix. I mentioned threads like these and said this is a known problem. The service advisor said he would do would he could on price.

Unfortunately, the car was scheduled to be shipped in enclosed trailer to Florida just as I discovered this problem. I elected to have it addressed at a dealer in South Florida with whom I'm unfamiliar, instead of with my regular dealership in Michigan.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? What was the cost? What was the fix? My car is not under warranty, however despite this, my service rep convinced Porsche to cover replacement of a faulty dynamic motor mount free of charge. I found similar complaints about the dynamic motor mount issue on similar models so hopefully Porsche is just as gracious about the PCM unit as they were the faulty Dynamic Motor Mount.
The rebooting is likely due to a hard drive issue. They start doing that when the hard drive begin to fail. The drive is a 2.5 inch Toshiba 40gb SATA drive like you'd find in a laptop, and they are prone to failure over time. It may be remedied CHEAP by cloning the drive onto a 120gb solid state drive ($20 from Amazon). Look up a thread on this topic here from user “jslo”. He even offers a service where he will do this for you. You can also send your PCM to Becker Autosound and they will repair for around $1k, as a flat fee regardless of what issue it might have. There are many cheaper options for you than the $4k new PCM from Porsche. Good luck!

Last edited by Neuropel; 02-21-2020 at 09:16 PM.
Old 06-15-2020, 09:09 PM
CLeagones
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Is this for the 4.76 file ???

much appreciated !!
Old 06-15-2020, 09:11 PM
CLeagones
Instructor

02-17-2020 11:49 PM
flgfish
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sV...smE7jBXCngUn8p
^ISO

Originally Posted by CLeagones
Is this for the 4.76 file ???

much appreciated !!
Old 06-15-2020, 09:39 PM
CLeagones
Instructor

Originally Posted by flgfish
is this the file needed to upgrade for 3.1s ?? Currently running V3.43 on my 13 C4S and looking to upgrade my version.

THANK YOU in advance
Old 06-16-2020, 09:36 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 448 Likes on 235 Posts

is this the file needed to upgrade for 3.1s ?? Currently running V3.43 on my 13 C4S and looking to upgrade my version.

THANK YOU in advance
Yes 4.76 is for PCM 3.1. Push INFO and SOURCE at the same time and you can see your current version.
Old 06-17-2020, 05:19 PM
CLeagones
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pavegeno928
Yes 4.76 is for PCM 3.1. Push INFO and SOURCE at the same time and you can see your current version.
Thanks...I already have v3.43 curently on my vehicle....the iso file a few replies back is only for upgrading to 3.43 and not 4.76....
any assistance for the right file to upgrade to 4.76 for 3.1s
Old 06-17-2020, 05:38 PM
bb964
Rennlist Member

Received 325 Likes on 200 Posts

Thanks...I already have v3.43 curently on my vehicle....the iso file a few replies back is only for upgrading to 3.43 and not 4.76....
any assistance for the right file to upgrade to 4.76 for 3.1s
From another thread:

If you have PCM 3.1 and version 3.xx it will update it to v3.43 (latest).
If you have PCM 3.1 and version 4.xx it will update it to v4.76 (latest).

If you're currently on v3.xx you will NOT be able to update to v4.xx.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8739...l#post15649528

The following 3 users liked this post by bb964:
CLeagones (06-17-2020), flgfish (06-18-2020), Schorsch (06-20-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 05:54 PM
CLeagones
Instructor

Originally Posted by bb964
From another thread:

If you have PCM 3.1 and version 3.xx it will update it to v3.43 (latest).
If you have PCM 3.1 and version 4.xx it will update it to v4.76 (latest).

If you're currently on v3.xx you will NOT be able to update to v4.xx.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8739...l#post15649528
thank you for the quick update!!!!
Old 07-04-2020, 06:47 PM
BigAl64
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PCM 3.1 2.47

In my 2011 Cayenne S, I have version 2.47. Can I do any upgrades?

Thanks,

Alex
Old 04-22-2022, 07:47 PM
epedone
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For these update discs, is there anything special you need to do with the ISO other than just burning it to a DVD? I've burned the image to a Memorex DVD at 4x speed and when I put it into the PCM, it recognizes it as a DVD, but that's it. It doesn't start the update. Is there anything additional I need to do?
Old 04-23-2022, 03:30 PM
afriedrich
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by epedone
For these update discs, is there anything special you need to do with the ISO other than just burning it to a DVD? I've burned the image to a Memorex DVD at 4x speed and when I put it into the PCM, it recognizes it as a DVD, but that's it. It doesn't start the update. Is there anything additional I need to do?
Try burning a DVD-R at low speed

Quick Reply: PCM Radio Problems - Common?