Should I end my dislike for CL Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 04:08 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DMoore
I've had a GTS and a GT3 with CL wheels. Hate them! To change tires:

Pop off cap. Jack car. Put someone behind wheel, stomp on brake. Use monster bar to break wheel loose. Remove wheel, change tire. Lube up the splines (heavily) and cones (lightly) with the world's messiest grease. Install wheel. Torque to 440 (IIRC) lb-ft. Back off torque wrench 90 degrees, then repeat. Fiddle with hub core until it pops out flush with end of splines. Good luck getting that to work on first try! Reinstall cap.

Whew. One wheel done, 3 more to go. What a freaking pain. I suppose if car was street only, and tiers last a long time, fine. If you track, and go through oh, 3 or 4 sets of tires in a year - that's a LOT of hassle. Not to mention that you have to stand over the guy at the tire shop to make he does it right.

And don't count on the dealer getting it right. On more than one occasion, direct from the dealer, I've discovered the hub core wasn't fully extended and so the wheel was NOT properly attached. I always check at the track to make sure they're all in the proper position.

Or - five bolts. A normal torque wrench will work. Recheck torque at track. WINNER. WINNER. WINNER.

DMoore
'15 GT3
registered CL hater
I have to double check at times all the work done at a Dealer, years ago, I was being charged that one of my lights isn't working and I was like, no way, I drove with lights on to them and found out they had unplugged the cable and forgot to put it back; the mechanic goes light isn't working. I fixed it myself.

With CLs, there is UNNECESSARY complexity and this is just for looks. I can totally see screw up happening at mechanic shop (these days people very distracted).

Complexity kills, simplicity wins

Originally Posted by 85Gold
I didn't know you could order the 18 911 GTS with 5 lugs. Looking on the Porsche Configurator I didn't see any option for 5 Lugs. Tell me more!!!!!

Peter
Yes, the configurator has 5 lug wheels, but the rims are kinda ugly. I wish they offered Fuchs wheels or the cool Sport-Techno wheels.

Originally Posted by jasonfreed
I live outside of Chicago so will be swapping twice a year (winter rims and summer rims).

Then again if I decide to install different rims if decide to go to the track.

Plus, if I take a road trip and need a tire patched, it's a bit of a pain to deal with a local tire place if you have center locks.

And, lastly, I will be doing Euro delivery so want the ability to quickly and easily remove a rim if needed while in Europe (just in case I need a tire repair).

The negatives far outweigh the positives (looks only IMO) - and, this is coming from someone who has had both.

Literally the only thing better about a center lock is the way it looks - that's it.
Yeah, I have to change the tires too - I am in the North East.

Totally NOT worth it for better looks IMO.

Ordered my 2018 GTS without the center locks.

Had them on my 991 GT3 and while it was not a huge deal to swap rims, it was for sure more of a pain.

Skip them if you have the option.
I am doing best to skip these CLs

Looks like some bean counter at Porsche HQ decided to make CL wheels and force it down on the cool models. If I can't use airgun to change tires like a Pit Crew, then it is all for looks. People who have it, enjoy it. I really can't seem to digest the headaches that could come with it. My yearly driving habits rake in close to 15K Miles, heck 2 years ago the average was close to 18-20K / year. Yeah, I love to take cruises on the highway.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:14 PM
jasonfreed
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
I didn't know you could order the 18 911 GTS with 5 lugs. Looking on the Porsche Configurator I didn't see any option for 5 Lugs. Tell me more!!!!!

Peter
You just have to check box for the "20" Carrera S Wheels" - $0 charge option

It's on there.

I'd pay money to not get the center locks

In this case it was free - good thing, because my finger was hurting from clicking the option boxes.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:25 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
I also do my own brake changes.

Obviously center locks don't matter if you only ever bring your car to the Porsche dealer for service.
Not accurate. My Service Center charges more to deal with CL's.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:08 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,551 Likes on 970 Posts

I've had a GTS and a GT3 with CL wheels. Hate them! To change tires:

Pop off cap. Jack car. Put someone behind wheel, stomp on brake. Use monster bar to break wheel loose. Remove wheel, change tire. Lube up the splines (heavily) and cones (lightly) with the world's messiest grease. Install wheel. Torque to 440 (IIRC) lb-ft. Back off torque wrench 90 degrees, then repeat. Fiddle with hub core until it pops out flush with end of splines. Good luck getting that to work on first try! Reinstall cap.

Whew. One wheel done, 3 more to go. What a freaking pain. I suppose if car was street only, and tiers last a long time, fine. If you track, and go through oh, 3 or 4 sets of tires in a year - that's a LOT of hassle. Not to mention that you have to stand over the guy at the tire shop to make he does it right.

And don't count on the dealer getting it right. On more than one occasion, direct from the dealer, I've discovered the hub core wasn't fully extended and so the wheel was NOT properly attached. I always check at the track to make sure they're all in the proper position.

Or - five bolts. A normal torque wrench will work. Recheck torque at track. WINNER. WINNER. WINNER.

DMoore
'15 GT3
registered CL hater
You're a self-proclaimed center lock hater, and I respect that. I'm sure track vs. street duty changes your perspective. That said, your description of a wheel change is a bit dramatic. If you applied the same dramatic prose to a five-lug wheel change, then it would look something like this:

Jack the car to raise the wheel off the ground. If it's a front wheel, then you need to get someone to stomp on the brake as you break the lug nuts first. Otherwise, you can break them loose before the tire is raised from the ground. To do this, you have to open the bonnet of the car (or the glovebox), and fumble around until you find the OE Porsche wheel lock tool. Get down on your knees and determine which lug nut will accept the wheel lock. Put the wheel lock in place. Break the first lug nut free. Then move to the second lug nut, and break it free. Then move to the third lug nut and break it free. Then move to the fourth lug nut and break it free. Finally, break the fifth lug nut free. Once this is done, remove the first lug nut. Install the centering tool and thread it into place. Remove the second lug nut. If you have PCCB, then add another centering tool and thread it into place. Remove the third, fourth, and fifth lug nuts. Remove the wheel. Align new wheel with centering tools, and slide it into place. Insert one lug nut and snug the wheel against the hub. Insert a second lug nut. Remove the centering tool(s). Insert remaining lug nuts. Identify locking lug nut and attach wheel lock. Tighten first lug nut. Tighten second lug nut. Tighten third lug nut. Tighten fourth lug nut. Tighten fifth lug nut. Repeat this procedure in the classic star pattern with a torque wrench to to achieve recommended torque. Repeat. Whew! One wheel done!

Old 02-27-2018, 05:19 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 708 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
You're a self-proclaimed center lock hater, and I respect that. I'm sure track vs. street duty changes your perspective. That said, your description of a wheel change is a bit dramatic. If you applied the same dramatic prose to a five-lug wheel change, then it would look something like this:

Jack the car to raise the wheel off the ground. If it's a front wheel, then you need to get someone to stomp on the brake as you break the lug nuts first. Otherwise, you can break them loose before the tire is raised from the ground. To do this, you have to open the bonnet of the car (or the glovebox), and fumble around until you find the OE Porsche wheel lock tool. Get down on your knees and determine which lug nut will accept the wheel lock. Put the wheel lock in place. Break the first lug nut free. Then move to the second lug nut, and break it free. Then move to the third lug nut and break it free. Then move to the fourth lug nut and break it free. Finally, break the fifth lug nut free. Once this is done, remove the first lug nut. Install the centering tool and thread it into place. Remove the second lug nut. If you have PCCB, then add another centering tool and thread it into place. Remove the third, fourth, and fifth lug nuts. Remove the wheel. Align new wheel with centering tools, and slide it into place. Insert one lug nut and snug the wheel against the hub. Insert a second lug nut. Remove the centering tool(s). Insert remaining lug nuts. Identify locking lug nut and attach wheel lock. Tighten first lug nut. Tighten second lug nut. Tighten third lug nut. Tighten fourth lug nut. Tighten fifth lug nut. Repeat this procedure in the classic star pattern with a torque wrench to to achieve recommended torque. Repeat. Whew! One wheel done!

Wow....now that explanation makes centerlock wheels seem much easier to deal with!

My humble personal view is that if you are going to track the car, get the five lug wheels. If you are going to swap out tires (summer/winter) twice a year, consider the five lug wheels but the centerlocks might be doable, too. If you aren't going to do either and don't use Joe's tire shop down the street, you will probably be just fine with centerlock wheels.

I opted for the centerlock wheels on my 991.2GTS build, arriving soon I hope! I won't track it and I probably won't do a winter wheel set this time, at least at this point. YMMV.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:20 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 816 Likes on 468 Posts

You just have to check box for the "20" Carrera S Wheels" - $0 charge option

It's on there.

I'd pay money to not get the center locks

In this case it was free - good thing, because my finger was hurting from clicking the option boxes.

Thank You As for option boxes I am a no option type of guy. Except for the $420 self dimming mirror and the freebies including Leather Wheel I am at $122,170. If I run it any higher I would be getting a lightly used 991.1 GT3.

Peter
Old 02-27-2018, 06:14 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera2RS
...I love my centre locks and think anyone choosing 5 stud as an option is mad. A poorer solution with a narrower wheel, possibly heavier too. Plus the price difference you will lose on reselling a car wiith 5 studs if they were available with CL’s will more than cover your equipment outlay if you do want to change your own wheels
Inaccurate statements. 5lug wheels can be had in same size/ofsets.
Resale value might be higher for properly optioned 5lug wheels option. It is more convenient as many pointed out and more rare to find on the market.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:48 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,233 Likes on 745 Posts

well played . . .
Old 02-27-2018, 08:03 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Either you like or tolerate the centerlocks or you don't.
Good to have AAA premium 200 mi towing in addition to Porsche roadside assistance
Old 02-27-2018, 08:46 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Giving credit where it's due - that's a hilarious response! Heck, I could have made my description even longer!

We can agree to disagree. I just find that there are so many things that can go wrong with a CL installation, mostly because the procedure requires special tools and is unfamiliar to everyone except a dealer. On the other hand, every tire shop under the sun has a torque wrench that goes to 118 lb-ft and knows how to deal with a five bolt wheel. Just my $.02. YMMV.

DMoore
'15 GT3 (with CL's)
Old 02-28-2018, 01:38 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,551 Likes on 970 Posts

Giving credit where it's due - that's a hilarious response! Heck, I could have made my description even longer!

We can agree to disagree. I just find that there are so many things that can go wrong with a CL installation, mostly because the procedure requires special tools and is unfamiliar to everyone except a dealer. On the other hand, every tire shop under the sun has a torque wrench that goes to 118 lb-ft and knows how to deal with a five bolt wheel. Just my $.02. YMMV.

DMoore
'15 GT3 (with CL's)
I completely understand and respect your thoughts here. I agree with your comments on dealerships, and with tire shops. If I have a tire blow out while I’m out in the high country on a curvy mountain road, I’m pretty much guaranteed an expensive flatbed trip down to the dealership in Denver.

I suspect my my opinion would be different if I had a car that saw track duty and had more frequent wheel changes. For me and the way I use my car, centerlocks are great. For some others, maybe not so great.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:10 PM
8enny8lack
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

deleted- i bored even myself.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:14 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 263 Likes on 173 Posts

I like the CL looks but the increased complexity with removing the wheels, I'm glad I found a GTS with 5-lug wheels
Old 02-28-2018, 07:36 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by 8enny8lack
deleted- i bored even myself.
Best 2018 post this year by wide margins. Love it.

Quick Reply: Should I end my dislike for CL Wheels