Sponsored by:

Should I end my dislike for CL Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 02:18 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Should I end my dislike for CL Wheels

Now as 992 is approaching closer, there are some really cool deals on 991.1/991.2 models that I have an eye on. And many of these models have CL wheels.

Getting a CL wheel car and then spending money on the conversion kit, isn't for me. It is extra cost and headache that I do not want.

I bet the only reason Porsche wants CL wheels is that they want the customer to go their shops for tire rotation, changes etc and not to Costco Tire (lol). It is not easy to find 5 lug wheels in GTS's and Turbo(s) models. They are there but majority is CL.

Maybe I should just drink the kool aid and accept the CL (even though I know that these tires can never be changed like race car CLs do with simplicity and speed). And if one gets a flat, pray there is no sidewall damage or pray for cell signal on some highway and hopefully a flat bed truck comes in time.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:29 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

You can own them and still hate them. As for getting a flat... none of them come with spares anyway so it doesn't matter that you've got CL's. You weren't gonna change it on the side of the road anyway.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:29 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

Accept it. They look great, and Porsche continues to sell cars with this configuration.

I change my winter and summer wheel and tire sets in my garage. The center lock wheel change is easier than five lug in many ways, and it's simple if you have the right tools. For me, there's no difference in terms of risk between my 997 Turbo with five lug wheels and my 991 Turbo S with center locks. The 997 didn't have a spare tire, just like the 991. A call for roadside service is the solution to a flat tire in either car.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:37 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

They are starting to grow on me. The one plus is that I don't have to torque at the track anymore. I am pretty OCD and torqued before every run. Now, I just check my CL locks once at the beginning of each day.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:39 PM
Highyo
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

cool story
Old 02-26-2018, 02:40 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dennis C
The center lock wheel change is easier than five lug in many ways.
No it isn't. In zero ways is it easier unless maybe if you own one of those really expensive torque multiplier gizmos. Then MAYBE you can make a case here. Maybe.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:40 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I am planning to keep spare tires from suncoastparts in the back seats of the car. Heck, I might just remove the seats and have more space. It is not like anyone can ever sit in the back anyway (yeah, i don't have kids right now...so it works). I drive up and down the east coast all the time, so far no problems, but planning to do first east to west coast drive (and back) in the 911.

So many good deals right now on these cars....

But I am closer to take the plunge (but why do I get the feeling that I am going to regret this decision)
Old 02-26-2018, 02:43 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

I took the plunge...
Old 02-26-2018, 03:01 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
No it isn't. In zero ways is it easier unless maybe if you own one of those really expensive torque multiplier gizmos. Then MAYBE you can make a case here. Maybe.
It is for me.

I bought the big torque wrench from Precision Instruments, but nothing fancy.

I find it to be easier to torque only one nut per wheel as opposed to five. I also find it much easier to put the center lock wheel on a big central stud to protect the ceramic rotors than multiple, small centering tools on a five lug wheel. I don't have to worry about a wheel lock; only the centerlock socket. What's harder about it, aside from the tools required and the high levels of torque required to properly torque the nut? I suppose you could argue that the aluminum anti-seize paste is a bit of a pain, but I just distribute that on the mating surfaces while wearing a rubber glove. It takes less than one minute per wheel.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:07 PM
trucheli
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by captainkirk
Now as 992 is approaching closer, there are some really cool deals on 991.1/991.2 models that I have an eye on. And many of these models have CL wheels.

Getting a CL wheel car and then spending money on the conversion kit, isn't for me. It is extra cost and headache that I do not want.

I bet the only reason Porsche wants CL wheels is that they want the customer to go their shops for tire rotation, changes etc and not to Costco Tire (lol). It is not easy to find 5 lug wheels in GTS's and Turbo(s) models. They are there but majority is CL.

Maybe I should just drink the kool aid and accept the CL (even though I know that these tires can never be changed like race car CLs do with simplicity and speed). And if one gets a flat, pray there is no sidewall damage or pray for cell signal on some highway and hopefully a flat bed truck comes in time.

I didn't know that you rotate staggered tires. How do you do that? Please enlighten me!
Old 02-26-2018, 03:41 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

I hated them on my cars. But I wouldn't let them cause me not to buy a GT car.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:44 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

It is for me.

I bought the big torque wrench from Precision Instruments, but nothing fancy.
I bought the same one. And a giant breaker bar. I haven't bought a pedal depressor yet though so I'll need someone to press the brake for me to do the front ones.

I find it to be easier to torque only one nut per wheel as opposed to five. I also find it much easier to put the center lock wheel on a big central stud to protect the ceramic rotors than multiple, small centering tools on a five lug wheel. I don't have to worry about a wheel lock; only the centerlock socket. What's harder about it, aside from the tools required and the high levels of torque required to properly torque the nut? I suppose you could argue that the aluminum anti-seize paste is a bit of a pain, but I just distribute that on the mating surfaces while wearing a rubber glove. It takes less than one minute per wheel.
I never use wheel locks so I guess that's a slight hassle if you use them. I only used one peg to put the wheels on. That said... I don't really get wheel bolts either. Just give me 5 lugs and call it a day!

Originally Posted by trucheli
I didn't know that you rotate staggered tires. How do you do that? Please enlighten me!
I swap wheels side to side between track days.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:51 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

I would love to get one of those CL air or hydraulic guns that Porsche uses at the factory to torque the CL's when building the car.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:07 PM
trucheli
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
I bought the same one. And a giant breaker bar. I haven't bought a pedal depressor yet though so I'll need someone to press the brake for me to do the front ones.

I never use wheel locks so I guess that's a slight hassle if you use them. I only used one peg to put the wheels on. That said... I don't really get wheel bolts either. Just give me 5 lugs and call it a day!

I swap wheels side to side between track days.
Who does that? I just buy new tires. Not worth my time having to dismount the tire from the rim in order to balance a directional tire. To each its own!
Old 02-26-2018, 04:11 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
They are starting to grow on me. The one plus is that I don't have to torque at the track anymore. I am pretty OCD and torqued before every run. Now, I just check my CL locks once at the beginning of each day.
Well that was never a good idea anyway. Every run heats things up, hot things expand, you come along and,.... little bit tighter, little bit tighter.
Also totally unnecessary. You would probably be shocked to learn how UNDER torqued you can be and still have those wheels stay on just fine.
They torque check at the track not because its essential they be perfectly torqued, but to catch the one guy who forgot to tighten them at all.
If you want to be OCD about something: tire pressure. Keep em the same all day long.

Quick Reply: Should I end my dislike for CL Wheels