Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I cancel my 4S order and get a T?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 01:13 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
Agree on all counts as well.....except the base prices of a GT3 is $144k.

Sounds like the OP wants more luxury items than a T was really built for. He should stick with his 4S.
Yes, but if you can spend 135K on a car then likely you "could" afford 144K. The difference is not enough to matter - especially if you are financing and making payments!
Old 02-16-2018, 01:17 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by K-A
Seriously?

Let me just say HELL to the NO.

A super expensive T over a 4S much closer to its base MSRP and with higher performance? $8K is a very small margin between those two cars.
In all reality - anything over a base carerra with no options is tough to justify rationally. The base cars perform VERY well. This forum is the only place where people are even aware of the differences in spec - or care. No laymen (person never owned a Porsche) would be able to drive 2 back to back and objectively say one was a better experience and cite the options that accounted for the superior experience. Remember that when you agonize over certain options. We all do this and it is an emotional justification - not rational or objective in anyway.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:03 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
In all reality - anything over a base carerra with no options is tough to justify rationally. The base cars perform VERY well. This forum is the only place where people are even aware of the differences in spec - or care. No laymen (person never owned a Porsche) would be able to drive 2 back to back and objectively say one was a better experience and cite the options that accounted for the superior experience. Remember that when you agonize over certain options. We all do this and it is an emotional justification - not rational or objective in anyway.
Exactly this. Really, no one cares... seriously.

Anyway, for what's it's worth I would go low spec'd T any day every day. But as you've already seen, you're going to get opinions up the wazoo. Good luck.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:53 PM
David in Talent
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would stick with your original 4S order or perhaps get a GTS
Old 02-16-2018, 08:23 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
So what you're saying that AP is full of it, Jay Leno, Jerry Seinfeld, Adam Carolla, Bruce Canepa, etc. don't know what's up. There is more beyond this forum. Then there are private collectors whose collections I doubt you could even imagine.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:24 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
To each their own, but I don't really get a T with a sunroof.
Exactly. I will add to your sunroof comment..... pdk, Bose, 14-ways....

Old 02-17-2018, 03:41 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,220 Likes on 449 Posts

I think the appeal of the T and the GTS are the nice, mostly sporty bits, that come as standard. This means that you can get away with minimal options and thereby protect the residuals. My T build has only about 4% of the base price of the car in added options. (And those options do not include sunroof or PDK or Bose or 18-way seats)
Old 02-17-2018, 06:55 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Ervin Wu
So what you're saying that AP is full of it, Jay Leno, Jerry Seinfeld, Adam Carolla, Bruce Canepa, etc. don't know what's up. There is more beyond this forum. Then there are private collectors whose collections I doubt you could even imagine.
I qualified my post by citing layman and on the street. Doubtful any of these celebrities would objectively have more fun in one over the other.... but again.... these are as far a cry away as it gets from lay car people....

Here's another hint. Private collectors aren't buying Base, T, S or GTS's. The crowd you cited is buying 911R's, GT2's and 918's.... and singer.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:58 PM
Jordan Pryce
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Keep in mind that the GTS is not a special edition. It's produced as demand allows. On the Carrera T, we just don't know. Will it become a standard in the line? It might be. Desirability for future collectability is tied to production quantities as well as other factors.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:44 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Jordan Pryce
Keep in mind that the GTS is not a special edition. It's produced as demand allows. On the Carrera T, we just don't know. Will it become a standard in the line? It might be. Desirability for future collectability is tied to production quantities as well as other factors.
Even if it was... buy gold and silver if investing is your thing.

Any appreciation would be outweighed by the loss of happiness from not driving it. Looking for ROI? Compare mileage to theorapy and stress of not driving it and trying to keep it on concours condition.

So... who cares if these modern, "regular" do anything or not from a collection standpoint. For the same money - get a manual Ferarri or 100 others cars that are more likely to do something.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:48 PM
Jordan Pryce
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Agreed. Enjoy them!

Quick Reply: Should I cancel my 4S order and get a T?