Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How does this compare to your PPF install?
Looks like mine
9.52%
Below grade
82.54%
I don't use protection
7.94%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Is this a good protective film wrap/job?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 08:58 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
It' an either or proposition. Either you put up with the precut not wrapping under the edges OR you allow someone to come dangerously close to your paint with an exacto knife. There was a horror story about a guy getting his brand new gt3 cut up due to the second option gone wrong. The precut just keeps paint from getting chipped so it does its job. Water based Paint from Porsche today is like 3 miils thick so without it your are hosed.
The paint on my 911 is seriously the softest I’ve experienced yet.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:35 PM
Joenyc
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kuma1416
That's a perfectly acceptable job for a pre-cut unwrapped PPF. Wrapped PPF, where you cannot see the edges is more expensive and considerably more difficult to apply. Some installers will offer both, others will just do one or the other but may not mention the other option. Unwrapped PPF is more noticeable on white than any other color. I can clearly see the line across the hood on my silver 4S but I'm fine with it. (better a line then road rash)
i disagree it is not an acceptable job even for a precut. The installer knows to wrap the edges or up to the edge . But it is more work. It’s in the details. My wrap you can’t even notice it. In fact my guy mentioned the one precut was not available for my model yet and used an old one but modified it to cover the edges.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:39 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 331 Likes on 190 Posts

Frenzyy... after all the feedback, curious what your plan is.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:09 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 653 Posts

Very poor Pattern. I just had my 2018 GTS full wrap. No boarders like that. I paid a lot more. The guys did say that they had the pattern adjusted. The Original pattern sounded similar to what you got. So they extended the pattern so it could be rolled basically everywhere. I was unsure I I got a good job, until seeing yours. My car doesn't have any margins anywhere.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:47 AM
Frenzyy
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Al.Fresco
Frenzyy... after all the feedback, curious what your plan is.
definitely need to get this fixed. Working with the installer now, can't imagine what this will look like in a few years when I take off the wrap and the edges have a different color to the wrapped portion. I'll report back when I it sorted out.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:16 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 734 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by DerekS
Never use a shop that uses a kit or pre-cut pieces in any way.

Use a shop that does custom wraps under the seams and cuts.
i respectfully disagree...we do both custom and semi-custom, and the work speaks for itself. When it comes to a hood, fenders, side 1/4s, the way we do our semi-custom, it looks 98% as good as good as custom.

when it comes to bumpers, yes there will be seams, but the cuts are computer done and symmetrical.

the most important aspect of the installation, whether it’s custom, semi-custom, or pre-cut, is the installer...because if he/she is unskilled, you DEFINITELY don’t want a custom installation.

with custom installation, you are relying 100% on skill of installer and his/her blade
Old 02-14-2018, 10:25 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 734 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by Frenzyy

definitely need to get this fixed. Working with the installer now, can't imagine what this will look like in a few years when I take off the wrap and the edges have a different color to the wrapped portion. I'll report back when I it sorted out.
the installer did a good job for a precut with no extended edges. Only problem I have with it is the corners of the film, they should be rounded.

As for pricing, $1800 usd, at least in CA, gets you wrapped edges by most shops depending on coverage. We typically charge a bot more because we’re psychotic about wrapped edges, so on 991.2, we actually removed headlights and we wrap the lights also.

It’s important to research this stuff and I’d also recommend sending photos of the level of work you’d like done, based on seeing threads like this and others here on rennlist, then show those photos to your installer. This will set the expectation and both of you will be aligned with the final result.

if the installer did not explain difference of wrapped and unwrapped edges, and give you your options, then he/she should do better on initial consultation. I’m not sure if you told him your expectations, so I cannot make any assumptions.

but now that you know, the two of you should work something out. As many have mentioned, over time, those edges on a white car will show signs of dirt, and you’ll be replacing the pieces.

here’s a typical semi-custom level of work at our shop

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1038...nano-tint.html

Old 02-14-2018, 10:44 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 750 Posts

Here’s the good thing about PPF, even a mediocre install protects the car.
If you can get it fixed by the original installer go for it. If not live with it for a while and then find a top notch installer to do it again. Ask for edges to be wrapped.
I have Suntek now, had Xpel several times before. Both great films with similar properties.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:25 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 691 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A

The paint on my 911 is seriously the softest I’ve experienced yet.
^ this.

I am still on the fence about getting PPF on my car when it arrives. Didn't have it on my first 991S. My second 991S had it on the front all the way back to (and including) the side mirrors, from the previous owner. The edges weren't wrapped around the fenders, etc., but they were a LOT closer to the edges of the body panel than in the OP's photo. You couldn't tell it had PPF until you were up close to the car.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:23 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I was on the fence about getting PPF for my brand new GTS as well. However, right around my 47th trip to the garage to stare at it the first night in there, I thought "who the hell do I think I'm kidding?" There was no way on God's green earth I was going let that beautiful Carmine Red front get chewed up.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:27 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway
I was on the fence about getting PPF for my brand new GTS as well. However, right around my 47th trip to the garage to stare at it the first night in there, I thought "who the hell do I think I'm kidding?" There was no way on God's green earth I was going let that beautiful Carmine Red front get chewed up.
So you didn't sleep in or next to it the first night? Do you even care about cars?
Old 02-14-2018, 02:29 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 723 Likes on 333 Posts

Looking at it I'd say that the margins are too wide and not applied congruent with adjacent panels. Also some of the corners do not appear to be cut from a plotter but rather by the installers xacto knife. I would disagree about the edges catching dirt however. Just keep the car clean, polished and waxed and you'd be fine. Isn't that the level of condition we all want our cars to be maintained? Otherwise, why even get PPF?
Old 02-14-2018, 02:36 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

This.

Old 02-14-2018, 04:35 PM
Captain racing
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My gt3 is in right now getting suntek ppf over the entire car. I'll post pics to compare. Should be done in a week or so.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:40 PM
ShaunP
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 92 Posts

it looks like a pretty standard pre-cut template install to me.

Quick Reply: Is this a good protective film wrap/job?