Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How does this compare to your PPF install?
Looks like mine
9.52%
Below grade
82.54%
I don't use protection
7.94%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Is this a good protective film wrap/job?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 06:33 AM
Frenzyy
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Is this a good protective film wrap/job?

Hello everyone, just got my new 991 partially wrapped (bumper, complete front hood, lights, a-pillar) with Suntek, and walked away not sure if the quality of the work done is normal or just over expectation on behalf. I would have though PPF these days would be seamless (cannot see seams unless you look under hood, etc) but they say the software used with the 991.2 template don't require removing bumpers to go under as the templates don't require except for full wrap in a different color or matte.

How does this compare with others that have done a wrap?

Around the gas door

by the headlamp and corner lights

A pillar / front fender

gas door without flash

A pillar / front fender without flash

headlamp without flash

Last edited by Frenzyy; 02-13-2018 at 05:36 AM.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:45 AM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 187 Posts

They used a template to cut the pieces to fit without wrapping the ends. I had this on a Z06 and decided film was not for me. The edges will collect dirt over time and look bad, especially on a White car. Its a shame they did not explain this to you so you could make a educated decision. If I ever went with ppf again I would have the edges wrapped for sure.

Last edited by ENCT; 02-12-2018 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:34 AM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Tough to answer the poll, because "below grade" would be applicable only if they implied you would have no visible seams, and you paid for that level of detail.

Mine was taken care of by my dealer who used "Automotive Elegance" . Their brochure lists 3 levels of coverage:
Standard Wrap (half the hood etc)
Standard Plus (full hood etc)
Full Front Plus (full hood etc and:"Where ever possible emblems, grilles, corner markers, headlights and fixtures are removed to ensure as few seams as possible. Your entire front end will be virtually invisible."

Mine is so well done I was wondering if they forgot to do the car at first.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:08 AM
kuma1416
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 47 Posts

That's a perfectly acceptable job for a pre-cut unwrapped PPF. Wrapped PPF, where you cannot see the edges is more expensive and considerably more difficult to apply. Some installers will offer both, others will just do one or the other but may not mention the other option. Unwrapped PPF is more noticeable on white than any other color. I can clearly see the line across the hood on my silver 4S but I'm fine with it. (better a line then road rash)
Old 02-12-2018, 09:54 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Awful - the plotter didn't even cut the edges straight.... The installer clearly doesn't give a crap about their work.

Edit: we need to know how much you paid. if the job was $500 then you got what you paid for. If the job was $5K, then you got ripped off by gypsies.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:22 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Not very good. Mine is wrap around where it can be and right up to the edges everywhere else.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:25 AM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I don't know the circumstances of what you paid for, but I can tell you that not all pre-cut patterns yield that result. I just had my '18 GTS full front end (no A pillars) done at the dealership using pre-cut patterns, and it looks nothing like those pictures. Even with the patterns they were able to roll almost all the edges over enough to make them invisible. You can run your finger down the edge between the fenders and hood, and it is perfectly smooth like there was no film there. The only visible seam, if you look closely, is along the top edge of the bumper, which I would guess is pretty normal given the complexity of the bumper for a pre-cut pattern. The only seams that I have I would equate to what I see in those pics are the bottom of the fenders at the rocker panels. That seam is perfectly straight but around a 1/16" from the edge. I just put that in the no harm, no foul category, as you can't see it unless you stoop down looking for it. The mirror backs (folding mirrors) were a little funky, but the forward areas were covered, and it really is hard to see the open edges. Car is carmine red.

I will admit I was kind of shocked how well the edges were handled, and did not expect all the most obvious edges to be rolled liked they were.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:50 AM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 332 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway
I don't know the circumstances of what you paid for, but I can tell you that not all pre-cut patterns yield that result. I just had my '18 GTS full front end (no A pillars) done at the dealership using pre-cut patterns, and it looks nothing like those pictures. Even with the patterns they were able to roll almost all the edges over enough to make them invisible. You can run your finger down the edge between the fenders and hood, and it is perfectly smooth like there was no film there. The only visible seam, if you look closely, is along the top edge of the bumper, which I would guess is pretty normal given the complexity of the bumper for a pre-cut pattern. The only seams that I have I would equate to what I see in those pics are the bottom of the fenders at the rocker panels. That seam is perfectly straight but around a 1/16" from the edge. I just put that in the no harm, no foul category, as you can't see it unless you stoop down looking for it. The mirror backs (folding mirrors) were a little funky, but the forward areas were covered, and it really is hard to see the open edges. Car is carmine red.

I will admit I was kind of shocked how well the edges were handled, and did not expect all the most obvious edges to be rolled liked they were.
I agree....even for a precut job, this pattern was made with one thing in mind, ease/speed of install.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:58 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,198 Likes on 721 Posts

Depends on what you paid for and the understanding you had with installer. If you asked for and paid the the edges to be tucked in, it's a terrible job. Keep in mind that not all edges can be tucked in either.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:01 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Depends on what you paid for and the understanding you had with installer. If you asked for and paid the the edges to be tucked in, it's a terrible job. Keep in mind that not all edges can be tucked in either.
Even so - the edges are still not even straight and are very inconsistent. It's like some kids going door to door on a sat asking if people want their car wrapped for 20 bucks - this is the quality I'd expect from such a transaction as this.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:06 PM
Lawsofpower
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If we knew the price of the job, that’ll put it in perspective.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:15 PM
Frenzyy
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the feedback so far guys. To put it in perspective, I paid $2200 in Canadian dollars plus tax or $1800 USD

Last edited by Frenzyy; 02-12-2018 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Tax
Old 02-12-2018, 12:30 PM
Lawsofpower
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m not sure who determines pre-cut v. “Made-to-measure”, if you will. That’s about what it cost though. I’d say for a a job under $1000, it’s good. But it may not be so good for. Job over $1000. Depends on you.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:36 PM
dkmesa
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Frenzyy
Thanks for the feedback so far guys. To put it in perspective, I paid $2200 in Canadian dollars plus tax or $1800 USD
Not sure how the ppf market there compares to here in Atlanta, but I'd be upset if that's the end result for that cost. The quotes I've received for $1400 include wrapped edges at front and side of hood and I would hope have cleaner edges and smaller gaps. Doesn't look terrible to me, though. If I were in your situation I would express my disappointment in the quality of the work and try to get a partial refund. Doesn't look bad enough to redo IMO.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:41 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by dkmesa
Not sure how the ppf market there compares to here in Atlanta, but I'd be upset if that's the end result for that cost. The quotes I've received for $1400 include wrapped edges at front and side of hood and I would hope have cleaner edges and smaller gaps. Doesn't look terrible to me, though. If I were in your situation I would express my disappointment in the quality of the work and try to get a partial refund. Doesn't look bad enough to redo IMO.
Partial refund?

The fast that the plotter didn't even cut straight warrants a full refund. Sorry to say but as soon as you see a quality job to compare to in person, it will make you sick to your stomach to not have this corrected by someone else and a refund.

Quick Reply: Is this a good protective film wrap/job?