Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommendations for a License Plate Frame for a 2013 991 C4S

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 11:50 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,371 Likes on 1,536 Posts

OP, you have a fiberglass bumper? Not unless you put an aftermarket racing one on my friend. It's actually injection molded polyurethane plastic...but having said that there is only ONE correct license plate frame for a Porsche and it looks like this: (I can't remember where I had this frame made - it was a long time ago, but I took the copy off an old Porsche poster):

Old 02-09-2018, 11:55 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 332 Likes on 190 Posts

^^^ Love it.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:52 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,351 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by FF Garage
I make a very nice CNC Machined Aluminum plate frame that comes anodized in silver or black. www.ffgarage.com I offer a Rennlist discount of 10% off. Code is "RENNLIST"

I have sold many of them to this community with good feedback.
Just ordered your frame for my TTS. Looks like a quality product. Thanks for posting.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:09 PM
dsh
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I got this one. Painted cast brass with four holes, slimline and no text.

Amazon Amazon

The one posted by FF Garage looks nice, but some black screws or caps would complete the look.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:49 PM
PLom
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dsh
I got this one. Painted cast brass with four holes, slimline and no text.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IU1128K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The one posted by FF Garage looks nice, but some black screws or caps would complete the look.
I bought the one from FF Garage, very pleased with it. A high quality product (made in the US). Tom from FF Garage told me he is sourcing black screws and should have them in a couple of weeks.

Cheers, -Peter
Old 02-23-2018, 03:58 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,351 Likes on 761 Posts

Ordered mine today from FF also. Tom if you get the black screws let us know, I'll go for those too.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:34 PM
Highyo
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

if this hasn't been recommended yet

a little pricey but hey, thats the brand

Amazon Amazon
Old 02-23-2018, 04:59 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 708 Likes on 323 Posts

I have always run frameless...
Old 02-23-2018, 06:14 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Ordered mine today from FF also. Tom if you get the black screws let us know, I'll go for those too.
I have the FF Garage frame in black too. It's kind of surprising how difficult it is to find a small clean frame at all, let alone with a quality material. It's not a lot of material for the money, but it is neat and elegant.

The problem with some frames like the Porsche one in the prior post (at least in Texas), is that it gives the police another reason to stop you if they wish. You aren't supposed to cover any wording on the plate, and "Lone Star State" is lurking down there.

By the way, Lowe's carries a black-coated stainless screw. It isn't a security screw but I wasn't concern about that.

It's fairly small and doesn't make very big holes in the attachment positions, just in case they later strip out too much and you need to get bigger ones. Lowe's also has a small neoprene washer that fits exactly into the recess spot. Just don't overtighten or you'll squish the washers and strip the screws too much. You do have to stop turning just as you see the initial signs of compression on the neoprene. The neoprene washers are 5/32" and the screws I used are pan head Phillips stainless #8 x ¾ with a black head.

Last edited by StormRune; 02-23-2018 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:30 PM
FF Garage
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StormRune
I have the FF Garage frame in black too. It's kind of surprising how difficult it is to find a small clean frame at all, let alone with a quality material. It's not a lot of material for the money, but it is neat and elegant.

The problem with some frames like the Porsche one in the prior post (at least in Texas), is that it gives the police another reason to stop you if they wish. You aren't supposed to cover any wording on the plate, and "Lone Star State" is lurking down there.

By the way, Lowe's carries a black-coated stainless screw. It isn't a security screw but I wasn't concern about that.

It's fairly small and doesn't make very big holes in the attachment positions, just in case they later strip out too much and you need to get bigger ones. Lowe's also has a small neoprene washer that fits exactly into the recess spot. Just don't overtighten or you'll squish the washers and strip the screws too much. You do have to stop turning just as you see the initial signs of compression on the neoprene. The neoprene washers are 5/32" and the screws I used are Pan Phillips stainless #8 x ¾ with a black head.

WOW, Looks great on your car! I am getting closer on the screws. Just making sure we have the correct diameter on the screw heads so they will fit in the recessed area on our plate frames.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:13 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,227 Likes on 742 Posts

Just use black plasti dip on this
Old 02-23-2018, 11:41 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

I like the classic one

Amazon Amazon
Old 02-23-2018, 11:50 PM
computertom
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by FF Garage
WOW, Looks great on your car! I am getting closer on the screws. Just making sure we have the correct diameter on the screw heads so they will fit in the recessed area on our plate frames.
I just ordered a pair of these. Looking closer, it looks like there's gap in his pic on the right? Are license plates not a standard size? Wondering if they'll be any gap with my Mass plates...

Anyway, looking forward to them Tom.

-Tom
Old 02-24-2018, 12:17 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by computertom
I just ordered a pair of these. Looking closer, it looks like there's gap in his pic on the right? Are license plates not a standard size? Wondering if they'll be any gap with my Mass plates...

Anyway, looking forward to them Tom.

-Tom
No, there's actually no gap there, but the Texas plate itself isn't flat and you are seeing the 3D embossed shape of the plate that runs about a half inch in from the outer edge. The true outer edges of the plate docked in perfectly with a recess cut into the back of the frame.

Here's the edge of the old dirty plate I removed from the prior car showing the embossed edge (I don't use the front so I switched to the new clean one).

Quick Reply: Recommendations for a License Plate Frame for a 2013 991 C4S