Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NOVA Drivers - How are you guys driving your 911s?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 02:25 AM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default NOVA Drivers - How are you guys driving your 911s?

Hey guys,

Lately, I have to drive to DC like everday, and I am seeing few 911s during lunch time, and I am wondering, how are these guys/gals not having flats, the roads are so bad these days. My entire drive is filled with insane number of potholes and one part of the road, there is a worn out metal post coming from the ground. All cars dodge that abomination by driving exactly in the middle of the lane so the metal obstruction doesn't touch the tires (Near the Smithsonian area)

That metal post has been on that road as long as I can remember. Porsche SUVs are fine for NOVA-DC roads, but 911s

I dunno why Porsche doesn't offer rims smaller than 19inch for GTS 4, and Turbo models. I need to be able to use tires with bigger sidewalls.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:43 AM
daberlin
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 12 Posts

Saw a nice clean 991 pull into Washington Navy Yard yesterday and thought to myself how difficult it must be to drive it in and around DC. Wouldn't cross the Potomac if I had it here.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:56 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Well, you drive like a 911 driver: eyes peeled, perpetually scanning, eternally vigilant, and seldom if ever in the middle of the lane. That last one alone will save you most of the time by keeping your tires out of the rutted, pot-holed and sometimes water-filled path worn down by all the rut-following drones. Not that I imagine this is what very many 911 drivers actually do. Most I think drive like Nick Murray, straight down the middle of the road making a bee-line for even the biggest deepest wheel-swallowing pot-holes visible far ahead. (Which I do not exaggerate- you can watch him do it on his YouTube channel!) Tires and wheels are tough, but not that tough!

I know my ability to see and avoid all kinds of things like this improved immensely after a couple seasons of autocross. I would go for that a million times over before even thinking about higher profile tires.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:08 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by daberlin
Saw a nice clean 991 pull into Washington Navy Yard yesterday and thought to myself how difficult it must be to drive it in and around DC. Wouldn't cross the Potomac if I had it here.
Was is it a white 991.2 with black wheels? I'm in NOVA right now accompanying my wife at one of her conferences and I was just passing the Navy Yard yesterday.

To the OP: I just remember to take my radar detector off before I cross this border and keep the car no more than 7mph above the speed limit. It sucks.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:38 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I drive very defensively and, unlike every other idiot driver around here, driving is my 100% concern while in the vehicle.

Quick Reply: NOVA Drivers - How are you guys driving your 911s?