Sponsored by:

My tire change (mis)adventure!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 12:52 AM
eisenb11
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry My tire change (mis)adventure!

Having all kinds of fun at my dealership as of late.

Last Tues, on my way to work, I drove over a sharp metal nail-sized object that punctured my right rear tire about a block from the office. The low pressure warning went off as I parked in the garage at work (8 stories up). I could clearly hear the air coming out of the tire so I knew I was hosed.

Called Porsche roadside assistance and they were totally awesome! They had to send two companies over to get me out. The first guy arrived within 20 minutes, drove up to my car and pumped up my tire so I would have enough air to drive down and out of the garage. The second company was waiting downstairs for me with a flat bed truck (it was too big to get in the garage). Really impressed with the fast turn around time and how awesome Porsche was at getting everything arranged. Thanks Roadside Assistance!

Dropped my car off at the dealership and let them do their thing. Came later that day to pick up my car and that's where the fun starts. The left side of my steering wheel is all scraped up! Badly! Tell the dealer and they acknowledge that they caused the damage. I was impressed with the inquisition that they held to figure out how it happened - they spoke to everyone who touched or could have touched the car looking for contraband clothing (rings, belts). The mystery was solved - car wash guy had a bunch of keys on his belt loop and would scrape the wheel getting in and out of the car.

Now this is where my gripe is. They said they'd try to repair the steering wheel and we'd talk about replacing it if I'm not happy with the result. Well, I'm not happy with the result. The scratches were really deep and their leather guy had to sand the steering wheel down to repair it. Considering the condition, he did an amazing job and I'm impressed... but... it's not perfect. I asked them to replace it and they want me to bring it in again to give the repair guy another chance.

We'll see where this goes. I'm bringing it back in, but, honestly, I don't even want the repair guy to do another attempt. No matter what they do, the wheel's been sanded and there's no going back from there.

Wasting too much time that I should be spending at work. What are you thoughts: a) go through all the steps which involves letting the repair guy have another go at it or b) tell them to stop wasting my time and replace the thing already?
Old 02-06-2018, 02:10 AM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi,,,
Sounds like standing operating procedure.....wear you down and see if you roll over so that they can avoid more expenses. I say, play their game and get your new wheel. You do not want to give them a reason to back down from the offer. People on the 7th floor...in reference to the FBI....need to know they did everything possible before giving you the wheel.
Abe
Old 02-06-2018, 07:01 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,232 Likes on 745 Posts

Tell 'em to stop dicking around and get a new wheel.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:24 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 114 Posts

Assuming you have pics of each stage?
Old 02-06-2018, 07:28 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 240 Posts

Everyone has to gauge how they respond in these situations. From my perspective, they would not have been allowed to attempt a repair. When my car goes to the dealer (which is only for warranty and recall items), the outside is video'd by them and also by me. I also video the interior, they don't . I pay special attention to the front lip, and and never - ever - ever let them wash my car.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:35 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,414 Likes on 2,517 Posts

New steering wheel.

Another reason to never let the dealership wash your car.

I always thought the janitor in grade school was so cool with the ginormous key ring.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:38 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

A little OT but this reminds me of the cardinal rule of bringing a Vette to the dealer for anything. Have them document the condition under the rocker panels, and have them the first thing you check for cracks when picking up the vehicle.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:53 PM
jsimon777
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I had a similar issue with an unnamed dealer a few years back. I had JUST had my go through a full paint correction with Moe at Glistening Perfection who is amazing as you all know. My car needed to be serviced and I did everything under the sun to make sure it didn't get washed. I told the service advisor, I put 2 signs in the car, on the steering wheel and on the radio that said "DO NOT WASH." Well they washed it and made of mess of my perfect paint (Black Car). They wanted to have their "detail guy" fix it who didn't know anything about anything compared to what Moe had done.

Needless to say they finally agreed to pay Moe to redo my car again but this was after months of phone calls and finally a letter from a lawyer.

When I sold my car and went to get my new GTS...there was NO way I would even consider getting it from them. Pennywise and pound foolish.

Just stay on them. Seems like a lot of good will could have been made if they just did it right the first time.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:46 PM
eisenb11
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dropped my car off this morning. Looks like I have to work my way through the steps. They're going to have another leather guy give it a go and we'll go on from there. I think it's a waste of time because it's not going to unsand what's been sanded, but whatever. I agree with jsimson, that it would have been a lot of goodwill if they took the preferred path the first, or even second, time - third makes it a bit of an annoyance.

I usually don't let the dealer wash my car, but this dealer generally does a pretty decent job which is why I had been allowing it - although the thought didn't occur to me that a wash was in order this time because I was just changing a tire. Have to say that they did a really really good job washing my car when I picked it up after the first "repair". Almost to the level that I'm used to (they had a few small water spots in odd places - probably not using deionized water -- and did an ok job on the wheels)

Leather guy did a no-show today so to-be-continued tomorrow.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:18 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,110 Likes on 668 Posts

I admire your patience. I say: be polite, be direct, and be insistent about what you want--and you may have to set a date for resolution.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:37 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

They said they'd try to repair the steering wheel and we'd talk about replacing it if I'm not happy with the result.
You're obviously not happy with the result. Have them replace it.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:19 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,385 Likes on 1,539 Posts

I'm in the leather business, and sanding leather is no big deal, honestly. Every piece of the leather in the car was 100% sanded at the tannery before Porsche ever got the loose hides to make your interior (and steering wheel). You have corrected, or finished leather on the steering wheel. So a good leather tech can make it look like new same way a good dent guy can work out a door ding. Let them take another crack at it, why not? I do it all the time in my business. If the tech is a hack, then you get a hack job....but if someone who knows what they are doing works on it you can't even tell it was re-coated.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:58 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Tell 'em to stop dicking around and get a new wheel.
Agreed.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:03 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,323 Likes on 615 Posts

My only concern would be to minimize the time the car is out of your care. "Shop wear" is a very real thing, even in the best shops (and few new car dealers' service departments rate as "best shops," as they are moving metal as quickly as they can—and rightly, because that's what most of their customers prefer).

The carelessness of their detailer is just one more reason why I've stopped allowing dealers to wash my cars…
Old 02-07-2018, 03:16 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I never allow the dealer to wash my car. I remind the service rep many times to write it on my work order, and also put a hang tag on the mirror.

I'm trying to avoid the Dealer-Installed Swirl Option at all costs. It also just avoids another few folk in and out of the car, driving it around, and we see here possibly marring the vehicle.

Quick Reply: My tire change (mis)adventure!