Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rev-Match in .2 w/Sport Chrono: Defeatable in "I" mode?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 12:21 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,266 Likes on 590 Posts
Default Rev-Match in .2 w/Sport Chrono: Defeatable in "I" mode?

There has been some talk about this with regards to the Carrera T, but it really applies to all Carreras with Sport Chrono.

I'd love to skip the "is it good or bad?" and philosophical debates, and find out from folks who have one of the cars if there is a way to set up the Individual Mode to skip the rev-matching while enjoying other sporting elements. From the attached chart in my 991.2 Carrera's owners manual, it appears that various functions fall into seven "buckets," making it possible to set Individual mode up to enable certain features and defeat rev-matching.

If I'm reading the manual correctly—and the manual is correct—it seems like the user choices are as follows (my "ideal" settings in red):

Bucket 1: Set to Normal, Sport, or Sport Plus
Response (throttle?)
RPM limiter
Idle speed increase
Throttle blip on downshifts
Optimized engine sound in cabin
Backfire (not applicable to cars without PSE?)
Launch Control (not applicable to 7MT cars)
PTM

Bucket 2: Still switchable on its own?
Auto start/stop

Bucket 3: Normal, Sport, or Sport Plus (would have to experiment)
Dynamic engine mounts
PTV Plus (in Carrera S/GTS/T)

Bucket 4: Sports Chassis only
PASM
PDCC (for cars with PDCC)
Rear axle steering (for cars with RAS)
PSM

Bucket 5: Normal, Sport, or Sport Plus
Lighting systems
Adaptive cruise control (for cars with ACC)

Bucket 6: Still switchable on its own?
Sport Exhaust

Bucket 7: Still switchable on its own?
Rear spoiler

Would be great if someone with a 991.2 Carrera/S/GTS with Sport Chrono and a manual gearbox can confirm if there is a way to set up a more sporting Individual mode—one without auto rev-matching. Unfortunately, some other items look to be thrown in the same bucket as rev-matching, but I could live without them.

Last edited by stout; 02-05-2018 at 12:48 AM.
Old 02-05-2018, 01:21 AM
johnstoy
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

You cannot turn off rev-matching (throttle blip) in any sporty mode except by turning off PSM. I agree: it would be nice to be able to select rev-matching and backfire as specific configurations in "Individual" mode.
They are thrown in with the first selection you make for individual mode. 'Normal" does not have rev-matching.
Old 02-05-2018, 01:24 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by johnstoy
You cannot turn off rev-matching (throttle blip) in any sporty mode except by turning off PSM. I agree: it would be nice to be able to select rev-matching and backfire as specific configurations in "Individual" mode.
They are thrown in with the first selection you make for individual mode. 'Normal" does not have rev-matching.
^ Yes, that's my point. From the owner's manual, it looks like it IS possible to select no rev-matching in the "I" mode by selecting Normal for the following:

Bucket 1
Response
RPM limiter
Idle speed increase
Backfire
Launch Control
PTM

Can anyone see if that is possible, while selecting Sport or Sport Plus in "I" mode for:

Bucket 3
Dynamic engine mounts
PTV Plus
Old 02-05-2018, 01:24 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

johnstoy is correct. This will be fixed in the 992.
Old 02-05-2018, 02:40 AM
johnstoy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stout
^ Yes, that's my point. From the owner's manual, it looks like it IS possible to select no rev-matching in the "I" mode by selecting Normal for the following:

Bucket 1
Response
RPM limiter
Idle speed increase
Backfire
Launch Control
PTM

Can anyone see if that is possible, while selecting Sport or Sport Plus in "I" mode for:

Bucket 3
Dynamic engine mounts
PTV Plus
I can take some pictures tomorrow of the actual screen if you like, but the manual implies more options (or buckets as you labeled them) than you get.
Your first selection of either normal, sport, or sport plus sets every thing on the list that has the “preselection...” wording.
There’s really only five selections:
the first one for Normal, Sport or Sport Plus,
then Sport Chassis yes or no
then Sport Exhaust yes or no
then Spoiler up all the time or normal.
and Auto stop/start yes or no

Throttle blip is in the first selection.

Last edited by johnstoy; 02-05-2018 at 12:12 PM. Reason: spelling...
Old 02-05-2018, 02:56 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Thank you for the above. I was wondering after looking at the chart and page 303, which gets at how to set up the Individual mode.

Sport Chrono is a real bug bear for me, as it includes one thing I really like (dynamic engine mounts) and something I really don't like (rev matching). Turning PSM off on the street to avoid the auto-blipper seems idiotic to me. I wonder if there's a way to disable it with a PIWIS.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:44 PM
racemor
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 45 Posts

Here are some pictures of the screen and Individual setting options (my car is a .2 non-S Carrera with manual and PSE). With my selections, the backfire is off (although volume is higher than in Normal mode), idle is the same as in Normal mode and there is no rev match. If I want the chassis stiffer I use the center console PASM button.

My question would be, is selecting the "Sport Chassis" option the same as hitting the PASM button on the center console? And what exactly gets activated when those choices are made? The stiffer suspension is pretty obvious, but I don't know if the engine mounts have changed.

Old 02-05-2018, 05:28 PM
johnstoy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by racemor
... My question would be, is selecting the "Sport Chassis" option the same as hitting the PASM button on the center console? ...
Yes - its the same setting.

Originally Posted by racemor
My question would be, .... And what exactly gets activated when those choices are made? The stiffer suspension is pretty obvious, but I don't know if the engine mounts have changed.
Check the table in the manual - Stout enclosed a photo above: since you didn't select Sport or Sport Plus boxes in your photo you are in "Normal" mode with the associated settings in the first column. For example the engine mounts are also in "Normal" mode with your settings.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:22 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Yes - its the same setting. Check the table in the manual - Stout enclosed a photo above: since you didn't select Sport or Sport Plus boxes in your photo you are in "Normal" mode with the associated settings in the first column. For example the engine mounts are also in "Normal" mode with your settings.
Such a lost opportunity, as it would be cool to be able to stiffen the engine mounts in "I" mode and then toggle the PASM dampers between settings on the center console. But...this also presents an opportunity for a software update. By that, I mean: 1) Porsche has publicly acknowledged that they got this wrong in the 991.2 and will correct it in the next 911; and 2) I was thinking that asking for a fix would be fruitless as there would be no existing button or pathway to accomplish what we are after: independent control of the rev-match. If Porsche is able to update the software to have the "Sports Chassis" box on the screen alter the engine mounts only, problem solved.

A group of 991.1 GT3 owners here on Rennlist approached Porsche with a reasonable request to improve their situation as a group of customers and ended up in a direct dialog with factory personnel via PCNA. The monetary stakes for Porsche were high in that case, but they came to a very good conclusion. The monetary stakes here are much smaller (though not insignificant, as the rollout of an update isn't cheap). Perhaps those costs could be minimized by being piggybacked onto the next update (of course, that would mean waiting). I can ask some contacts I have, but this might be an effort better led from a grassroots level including 911 Carrera, Carrera S, Carrera GTS, and Carrera T customers. The key would be following the standard of professionalism shown by the Rennlist 991.1 GT3 group.

pete

Last edited by stout; 02-05-2018 at 06:50 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:46 PM
racemor
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 45 Posts

YCheck the table in the manual - Stout enclosed a photo above: since you didn't select Sport or Sport Plus boxes in your photo you are in "Normal" mode with the associated settings in the first column. For example the engine mounts are also in "Normal" mode with your settings.
Sorry, missed it when reading the first time. Thanks.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:29 PM
johnstoy
Rennlist Member

Such a lost opportunity, as it would be cool to be able to stiffen the engine mounts in "I" mode and then toggle the PASM dampers between settings on the center console. But...this also presents an opportunity for a software update. By that, I mean: 1) Porsche has publicly acknowledged that they got this wrong in the 991.2 and will correct it in the next 911; and 2) I was thinking that asking for a fix would be fruitless as there would be no existing button or pathway to accomplish what we are after: independent control of the rev-match. If Porsche is able to update the software to have the "Sports Chassis" box on the screen alter the engine mounts only, problem solved.

A group of 991.1 GT3 owners here on Rennlist approached Porsche with a reasonable request to improve their situation as a group of customers and ended up in a direct dialog with factory personnel via PCNA. The monetary stakes for Porsche were high in that case, but they came to a very good conclusion. The monetary stakes here are much smaller (though not insignificant, as the rollout of an update isn't cheap). Perhaps those costs could be minimized by being piggybacked onto the next update (of course, that would mean waiting). I can ask some contacts I have, but this might be an effort better led from a grassroots level including 911 Carrera, Carrera S, Carrera GTS, and Carrera T customers. The key would be following the standard of professionalism shown by the Rennlist 991.1 GT3 group.

pete
I agree that the current design of the Individual mode is a lost opportunity.

I would be quite interested in a more professional dialogue with the appropriate people in PCNA if there is any chance of influencing a software update that makes the "Individual" setting on the SC dial actually let us pick and choose between more settings than currently designed. I can guess that there may be some combinations that don't play well together that may be disabled, but allowing selectable things like rev-match, throttle response, backfire and a few others would truly let you make Individual mode individual. No additional buttons would be required on the console.

Last edited by johnstoy; 02-05-2018 at 08:21 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:40 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 188 Posts

Can't you just turn rev matching off with PIWIS?
Old 02-09-2018, 08:15 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

You can defeat rev-matching in Sport and Sport+ mode by quickly and/or aggressively executing your heel-toe throttle blip, in essence you manually override the software, since the throttle was blip you executed is higher than what the software would have picked, and you can leave PTM on.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:21 PM
francisluu
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBeauty
You can defeat rev-matching in Sport and Sport+ mode by quickly and/or aggressively executing your heel-toe throttle blip, in essence you manually override the software, since the throttle was blip you executed is higher than what the software would have picked, and you can leave PTM on.
This is what I do when in Sport or Sport+ mode. I just blip myself and it still works pretty well.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:55 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

pete
Pete - I'd be happy to participate in this. It should be a very simple software change to the allowed modes in car's control graph. The bigger change might be to the GUI in the dash (depending on how it's implemented). But in any case, once implemented and tested back in Germany, this sort of thing can be easily updated in the field with PIWIS so the rollout cost should be minimal.

FWIW - I sent Porsche a long bug report on the configurator. They were very professional and appreciative of the feedback.

Quick Reply: Rev-Match in .2 w/Sport Chrono: Defeatable in "I" mode?