Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rev-Match in .2 w/Sport Chrono: Defeatable in "I" mode?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 02:00 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Such a lost opportunity, as it would be cool to be able to stiffen the engine mounts in "I" mode and then toggle the PASM dampers between settings on the center console. But...this also presents an opportunity for a software update. By that, I mean: 1) Porsche has publicly acknowledged that they got this wrong in the 991.2 and will correct it in the next 911; and 2) I was thinking that asking for a fix would be fruitless as there would be no existing button or pathway to accomplish what we are after: independent control of the rev-match. If Porsche is able to update the software to have the "Sports Chassis" box on the screen alter the engine mounts only, problem solved.

A group of 991.1 GT3 owners here on Rennlist approached Porsche with a reasonable request to improve their situation as a group of customers and ended up in a direct dialog with factory personnel via PCNA. The monetary stakes for Porsche were high in that case, but they came to a very good conclusion. The monetary stakes here are much smaller (though not insignificant, as the rollout of an update isn't cheap). Perhaps those costs could be minimized by being piggybacked onto the next update (of course, that would mean waiting). I can ask some contacts I have, but this might be an effort better led from a grassroots level including 911 Carrera, Carrera S, Carrera GTS, and Carrera T customers. The key would be following the standard of professionalism shown by the Rennlist 991.1 GT3 group.

pete
When I read this, I have to laugh at the state of automotive journalists.

Every single review of the newer BMW M products says "too many buttons" and "too many combinations" for settings. And yet, I have never once heard that complaint from an owner on the forums.

Every brand that doesn't offer a true individualization of settings, i.e. Porsche, always has owners wishing that settings were decoupled from each other.

BMW's way is the best. Hands down. Especially with the M1 and M2 shortcuts.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:45 PM
Mark993TT
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

There is one area BMW screwed up, ASD.
Old 02-10-2018, 06:41 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark993TT
There is one area BMW screwed up, ASD.
And transmission / throttle mapping
and suspension
and steering
and base seats
and run flats.

Definitely not perfect. But they got that one right.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:57 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf

And transmission / throttle mapping
and suspension
and steering
and base seats
and run flats.

Definitely not perfect. But they got that one right.
So, you’re saying there’s a chance?
Old 02-12-2018, 02:07 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,266 Likes on 590 Posts

When I read this, I have to laugh at the state of automotive journalists.

Every single review of the newer BMW M products says "too many buttons" and "too many combinations" for settings. And yet, I have never once heard that complaint from an owner on the forums.

Every brand that doesn't offer a true individualization of settings, i.e. Porsche, always has owners wishing that settings were decoupled from each other.

BMW's way is the best. Hands down. Especially with the M1 and M2 shortcuts.
Haha, you wouldn't have read such a review by me. My criticism of BMW is "too few buttons." That, and overly/stupidly intrusive driver assist systems.

When iDrive came out, I ended up in a debate with a BMW engineer about iDrive at the E60 M5 launch—noting that you shouldn't have to twist a dial, bump to the right three times, bump forward, and press the dial to achieve what you can by touching a button...especially on a system slower than Windows 2000. He said, "Ah, but you journalists only ever spend a day in the car, or a week. Our customers come to know these systems and love them. And the interior, it's so much nicer looking." To which I said, "So tell me, then, why airplanes don't use iDrive?"

I don't love Porsche's current obsession with the wide/high center console and so many buttons, but I vastly prefer its approach to one-touch functionality at speed.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:08 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ilko
Can't you just turn rev matching off with PIWIS?
Apparently not, brother. But looking into it, as it would be a great solution...

Originally Posted by BlackBeauty
You can defeat rev-matching in Sport and Sport+ mode by quickly and/or aggressively executing your heel-toe throttle blip, in essence you manually override the software, since the throttle was blip you executed is higher than what the software would have picked, and you can leave PTM on.
Yes, indeed, and probably the best "solution" for now. Of course, it doesn't really defeat the system because you're compromising your input to keep a computer from intervening vs getting the blip just right for mechanical reasons. A driver's car should serve the driver, not the other way around.

Originally Posted by 911-TOUR
Pete - I'd be happy to participate in this. It should be a very simple software change to the allowed modes in car's control graph. The bigger change might be to the GUI in the dash (depending on how it's implemented). But in any case, once implemented and tested back in Germany, this sort of thing can be easily updated in the field with PIWIS so the rollout cost should be minimal.

FWIW - I sent Porsche a long bug report on the configurator. They were very professional and appreciative of the feedback.
Right on, and may PM you. It might be a while, though, as it'll need to be a right time and place and person with which to raise the question. As for an update's roll-out, it can be costly. I was surprised by the number when I heard it, even for a simple update. There can be red tape, testing, logistics, etc. involved.
​​​
Old 02-12-2018, 05:38 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

As for an update's roll-out, it can be costly. I was surprised by the number when I heard it, even for a simple update. There can be red tape, testing, logistics, etc. involved.
​​​
I used to do worldwide software rollouts for an oilfield service company - so I hear you on the red-tape, testing, logistics, etc. The overhead for a rollout can be pretty high - the implementation cost is usually pretty low - but that's only after all the sunk costs of deciding to do it and scheduling.

Makes one wonder why all manufacturers don't go OTA the way Tesla is doing it. I'm not a big fan of Tesla in general, but their onboard software platform is undeniably the best in the industry.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:31 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

I was just reading a different thread on the topic (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1103...st-to-2nd.html) and saw this one - anything ever come from this discussion?
Old 10-12-2018, 12:08 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I was just reading a different thread on the topic (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1103...st-to-2nd.html) and saw this one - anything ever come from this discussion?
TBD, still, but getting closer. Interesting comments from Tom @ TPC Racing that suggest the function is connected to a single pin on a connector and/or may be possible to code out on the PIWIS. My car goes in for a couple of things next week, and I am going to ask the tech to look into it.

In an ideal world, rev-match could be defeated with the control stalk under "Vehicle > Settings > Rev Match", separating it from the various drive modes while keeping all of the other functionality in each. Absent that, the PIWIS solution would be okay. Absent that, I'd love to know which pin to sabotage...though I'm pretty sure there's no way I could bring myself to break a connector on purpose!
Old 10-12-2018, 03:06 AM
shing911500e
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts

TBD, still, but getting closer. Interesting comments from Tom @ TPC Racing that suggest the function is connected to a single pin on a connector and/or may be possible to code out on the PIWIS. My car goes in for a couple of things next week, and I am going to ask the tech to look into it.

In an ideal world, rev-match could be defeated with the control stalk under "Vehicle > Settings > Rev Match", separating it from the various drive modes while keeping all of the other functionality in each. Absent that, the PIWIS solution would be okay. Absent that, I'd love to know which pin to sabotage...though I'm pretty sure there's no way I could bring myself to break a connector on purpose!
@stout please let us know what your dealer visit yields. At this point I would be willing to put my name on a petition to PCNA saying I'd PAY for the software update. It does seem like a remap one of the 3rd party software tuners could manage, but that is far less optimal in my mind
Old 10-12-2018, 01:50 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Turning off rev match will probably remove the option of no lift upshift, if that matters to you. Works real well my CGTS

Peter
Old 10-12-2018, 04:55 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Rev matching in any car should not be tied to any setting other than a "rev match on / off" button or setting. Period. It's so stupid that manufactuers "bundle" these settings together into "Sport", "Sport Plus", etc. I think there was a column in one of the recent Evo or Car issues on the ridiculous nature of these buttons, but I don't think I have read it yet. It's silly.

Nissan did it right in the Z, and Corvette does it right (albeit very strangely using the shift paddles!) in the C7.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:58 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

I hated the rev-matching in the Corvette C7 (manual tranny) but I guess I am used to doing it myself, in the car and the bike.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:39 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Rev matching in any car should not be tied to any setting other than a "rev match on / off" button or setting. Period. It's so stupid that manufactuers "bundle" these settings together into "Sport", "Sport Plus", etc.
Preach!
Old 10-13-2018, 09:33 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

What worries me is that the rev match may be a deliberate engineering decision needed to preserve the longevity of the PDK-derived 7mt..

Pure speculation, but otherwise why in the world would Porsche be so apparently clueless?

Quick Reply: Rev-Match in .2 w/Sport Chrono: Defeatable in "I" mode?