Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear License Plate Mount

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 10:16 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Ah, thanks for the update! If the plate is bowed and constantly pulling against the tape, that could sure explain it. The tape holds really well, but you can pull it off with effort, so the bow of the plate may very well be the culprit. With a little effort, seems like you should be able to flatten the plate out to avoid that issue, no? If not, maybe consider some washers/spacers between the mount and the back of the plate so that the plate isn't constantly trying to pull the mount off the car. Or I could print an extra thick set for your bottom mounts if really needed. With the top screws tight, how far away from the bottom mounts is the plate bowing?
Old 03-17-2019, 10:23 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Ah, thanks for the update! If the plate is bowed and constantly pulling against the tape, that could sure explain it. The tape holds really well, but you can pull it off with effort, so the bow of the plate may very well be the culprit. With a little effort, seems like you should be able to flatten the plate out to avoid that issue, no? If not, maybe consider some washers/spacers between the mount and the back of the plate so that the plate isn't constantly trying to pull the mount off the car. Or I could print an extra thick set for your bottom mounts if really needed. With the top screws tight, how far away from the bottom mounts is the plate bowing?
I actually worked on the plate a little tonight since I thought it was a good time as I was cleaning the car. It did not bow that much but it could be the reason. I was able to straighten is somewhat but it is hard to do without bending the plate; however, I think it may be ok now, especially if I were to add washers. Thicker bottom mounts would also work but since you are sending new 3M tape let me try that along with a washer or two. As I said, I had the same problem with MD plates so I suspect that other states may be the same.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:15 AM
shootermcgavin
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

how much are these?
Old 03-27-2019, 09:57 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shootermcgavin
how much are these?
PM Tom or post in that thread, and he offers them in several colors for those that want them. Why? Who cares!
Old 03-27-2019, 02:29 PM
Kelsey
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Rear License Plate Mounts

Hi All, Just wanted to let you know that I ordered set for my GT4 and they fit perfectly. Great working with Tom and Thanks for developing these.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:03 PM
991.1GTS
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 29 Posts

PM sent - and keeping the thread alive
Old 05-01-2019, 02:12 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts

Glad you revived the thread because I meant to report back about the issue I had w/the bottom two mounts coming loose (can read more about it earlier in the thread).

I think my issue was due to a combination of (a) too cold temps during the install, (b) the license plate being somewhat concave - the top and bottom farther away than the center, and (c) improper surface preparation.

I had purchased two sets of the mounts, so on a pretty warm day, a couple weeks back, I:
  • Removed the bottom two from the first set.
  • Used Griot's paint prep to clean the paint around the bottom mount positions.
  • Used plenty of isopropyl alcohol to further clean the paint surface.
  • Attached two of my second set of mounts (at the bottom) and held them with firm pressure for a couple minutes each.
  • Manually bent (slightly) the license to flatten it a bit - although the plate is so pliable that I think this was the least contributing factor to the original problem.
Two weeks and many miles later and it's working perfectly.

Thanks, @Tom M'Guinn for the additional prep tips and the great product. Would it be possible for me to replace the 3M tape on the two mounts I removed? If so, and if you have the tape pre-cut and ready to stick to the mounts, could I order just that tape? That would leave me with a complete set of 4 in case I become undisciplined and order another 911.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:54 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Amalgamated Tom
Thanks! Those are great tips. I actually updated the instructions a while back with those same points. Mine are going strong for well over a year, so do think it's all in the prep. The warped plate thing didn't occur to me, but could see how that could add to the challenge, so added that too. As for the tape, you shouldn't have any issues if you peel off the old tape and put new tape on. I'd just clean the mounts with alcohol first (no brake-clean or acetone). I'm happy to send you some tape, but last time I tried, it ended up costing more and taking way longer than just ordering a roll from Amazon. Here's a link to what I use, but if you'd prefer I send you some, feel free to PM me.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-3614-15/dp...y&sr=8-1-fkmr0
I will order from Amazon. I just worry a little about cutting it to size properly. I failed arts and crafts in 7th grade.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:21 AM
V999
Rennlist Member

It's easy really. I'll see if I can make a video on how I do it. The tape is the correct width right off the roll, so you really just need to cut off two strips about the right length and stick them on. Everything else is just cosmetics and marketing glitz. I round off the corners to conform to the mounts with a pair of scissors, using the mount to guide the scissors. The little piece across the top is a bit trickier, but same basic thing.
I’ll figure it out. No need for a video. I just can’t pass up an opportunity for self-deprecation is all. It helps me balance out my massive, and massively undeserved, arrogance.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:33 PM
991.1GTS
Racer

Big shout out to Tom - ordered my kit just a couple of days ago, and I asked for white. Received today - excellent service and great communication. Thanks Tom!
Old 05-03-2019, 10:23 PM
991.1GTS
Racer

Wow, that was fast. Glad you got them so soon. Would love to see pictures of the white ones on a white car.
i will get it done and post a pic tomorrow.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:10 PM
Texan Engineer
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by V999
Glad you revived the thread because I meant to report back about the issue I had w/the bottom two mounts coming loose (can read more about it earlier in the thread).

I think my issue was due to a combination of (a) too cold temps during the install, (b) the license plate being somewhat concave - the top and bottom farther away than the center, and (c) improper surface preparation.

I had purchased two sets of the mounts, so on a pretty warm day, a couple weeks back, I:
  • Removed the bottom two from the first set.
  • Used Griot's paint prep to clean the paint around the bottom mount positions.
  • Used plenty of isopropyl alcohol to further clean the paint surface.
  • Attached two of my second set of mounts (at the bottom) and held them with firm pressure for a couple minutes each.
  • Manually bent (slightly) the license to flatten it a bit - although the plate is so pliable that I think this was the least contributing factor to the original problem.
Two weeks and many miles later and it's working perfectly.

Thanks, @Tom M'Guinn for the additional prep tips and the great product. Would it be possible for me to replace the 3M tape on the two mounts I removed? If so, and if you have the tape pre-cut and ready to stick to the mounts, could I order just that tape? That would leave me with a complete set of 4 in case I become undisciplined and order another 911.
Sorry guys, I'm going to revive this thread again since I might have more input for anyone who in the future wants to order/install (assuming Tom is still making them):

A product I recently discovered is 3M Adhesion Promoter 4298. I am in the process of replacing a damaged front bumper skirt on my DD Mazda, and the instructions specifically call that you prep the taped surface with the 3M Promoter. Its a special adhesive primer designed for smooth/hard-to-bond surfaces such as plastic. Mind you, my side skirt is being bonded to the rough pebbly plastic (not painted) so YMMV - some Googling shows that others have used in on painted surfaces. Just make sure to only prep the hidden areas.

Initial prep is the same as mentioned above (clean, tack rag if desired, IPA, etc.) - just apply immediately before you stick the tape on.

For what it's worth, it appears that the factory used the same primer on my car. The original foam tape (2 years old at this point) is absolutely destroyed coming off, it's nearly impossible to clean it nicely. Consider it permanent if you bond it on with this stuff.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:19 PM
0luke1
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by promocop
A solution looking for a problem
a problem looking for effective pharmaceuticals
Old 12-06-2019, 11:21 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Funny, after we washed my wife's SUV last week she mentioned that she wished Tom made them for her vehicle since the water behind her plate kept running down for a long time afterwards. These really are a great little mod that works great so I hope others can get them if they want them.

By the way, as I stated in the past, make sure your plate is as flat as possible before installing it so as not to put unnecessary stress on the mounting blocks.
The following users liked this post:
991.1GTS (12-21-2019)
Old 12-07-2019, 09:10 AM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 243 Posts

OP, that plate frame, hardware, and distance from the bumper looks terrible. Drill into the plastic object intended to be drilled into and call it a day. Kill the plate frame too.

Quick Reply: Rear License Plate Mount