Sponsored by:

Leftover 2017 pricing thoughts ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 05:30 AM
slcutler922
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my first post on Rennlist.

I’ve been looking to buy a new C4S, my first 911. My local dealer (PHL metro area) was giving me an 8.5% discount on a 2018 C4S in GT Silver with manual transmission, 18 way seats, SPASM, standard interior ($134,810 MSRP) and a 7% discount on a similar 2018 C4S in GT Silver with PDK, 14 way seats, regular PASM and standard interior ($136,020 MSRP). For several reasons, I prefered the car that was $136,020 but the dealer wouldn’t do an 8.5% discountb on it. So I walked away.

Found a new leftover 2017 C4S with 10 miles on it at a dealer outside of Boston (it’s a $150 flight from PHL to BOS). Car is $143,915 MSRPGR Silver, PDK, full leather and a closer match to the car I’d build. It would build for $145,910 if it were a 2018. Got if for $127,500 (11.4% discount off 2017 MSRP). I think it’s a decent deal. Essentially, I got a car that, if it were a 2018, would be $9,690 more than the one at my local dealer and only paid about $1000 for the delta. Sure one is 2018 and the other is 2017. But that felt like a fair trade off.

Full car description is here:

Base - 911 Carrera 4S
022 - Instrument Dials In Black
030 - PASM Sport Suspension (20 Mm Lower)
250 - Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
439 - 20" 911 Turbo Wheels
446 - Wheel Center Caps With Colored Porsche Crest
457 - Lane Change Assist (LCA)
489 - Heated Multifunction Steering Wheel
497 - Rear Model Designation Painted
581 - Luggage Net In Passenger Footwell
583 - Smoking Package
653 - Electric Slide/Tilt Sunroof In Glass
658 - Power Steering Plus
9VL - Bose? Surround Sound System
AZ - Leather Interior In Black
CWJ - PORSCHE Logo And Model Designation Painted
P06 - Power Sport Seats (14-way) With Memory Package
P3E - Premium Package Plus I.c.w. Power Sport Seats (14-way)
P3P - Sport Package
U2 - GT Silver Metallic
XAJ - Side Skirts Painted
XCS - SportDesign Exterior Mirrors (Lower Trim) Painted In High Gloss Black
XEY - LED Headlights In Black Incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS+)
XXP - Tinted Taillights
Old 03-06-2018, 07:35 AM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 129 Posts

Yes very fair deal. Congrats on the new car!
Old 03-06-2018, 09:44 AM
slcutler922
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gellie
Yes very fair deal. Congrats on the new car!
Thank you. Very excited!
Old 03-07-2018, 07:11 PM
FiveRiversGTS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes I think 20% is possible but the build may be odd or less desirable.

As a reference in January of 2015, I saw a leftover 2014 C4S with MSRP of 122K offered for 102K about 17% w/o negotiations. But it was some odd brown color with a beige interior iirc. I am sure it could have been purchased for 100K or less.

For a build you like probably 15% would be more reasonable. Definitely watch out for warranty punch date. You can call PCNA to see when it was punched. I think if it's punched it will be in their system. If it's punched I would use that to your advantage to negotiate a CPO which I believe may be possible. In addition try to add the 2yr maintenance included. Good Luck.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:44 AM
OGRonnie9
1st Gear

Hoping to get some help with this situation as well. Did not want to start a new thread, so I will jump in here.

I am in the market for a base 991.2 and could use some advice on how to move forward. I have been looking at leftover 2017 options and I’m having a hard time deciding if I should go with a leftover or go the CPO route. I know CPO would be cheaper, but I’m not confident in my “ability” to keep the car for more than three years, so I worry about depreciation and trade-in value. Also, I think I buying one of the leftovers would give me peace of mind that, for the most part, the car is “new” and has not been abused by the previous owner. Just trying to be extra careful since this will be my first Porsche.

I did look in to leasing and was quoted between $1500-$1685 for a light 2018 Carrera build. The only options I am set on are PDK, Sports Chrono, Sunroof (not a requirement), Bose, folding exterior mirrors, auto-dimming mirrors, and maybe Sports exhaust. This will be a daily driver for me.

Based on information in this conversation and other similar threads, it sounds like i should be aiming for 20%+ off of MSRP. I don’t have faith that my local dealers will play ball so I am mentally prepared to shop out of state. I live in Washington State and there are several 2017 Carreras that have been on the dealers' lots for quite some time. These cars are specced much higher than my desired build, but the options are tasteful and I would be happy with them. I also found the perfect build at Beverly Hills Porsche, but obviously, that would require that I drive it back from Cali or have the car shipped (I am not opposed to either option).

So, I would like help with the following:
Knowing that the leftover 2017 cars are already 1-2 years old, and the 2019 MY cars are about to be announced, I am concerned that I will start out way behind the depreciation curve as soon as I drive off the lot. I checked the trade in value for one of the cars I am interested in and, based on KBB, a dealer would likely offer between $78k-$83k for that particular build with low miles. One of my local dealers has three options that have been discounted from $115k, $116k, and $117k MSRP to $107k, $108k, and $109k respectively. If I am not able to get at least 20% off, would either of these options be a bad buy? Any thoughts on why these cars are not selling? Is Carmine red not a popular color? I'm not in love with it, but I would not walk away from these cars because of this particular color.

Lastly, I am curious if it is possible to lease a leftover 2017 car? I am asking because I have received conflicting info on this.

Thanks in advance for any guidance provided.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:49 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by djrizon
I just recently purchased a base 991.2 '17 that was on the dealer lot for a little over 9 months. I got around 15-16%, so there are deals to be had. However, you will have to look around and find dealers willing to move inventory. It was also across the country!

I had been searching for a while and was going back and forth between 991's since my biggest NEED was manual transmission, talk bout finding that unicorn.

However, on my search i've seen quite a few cabs. Drill down on your essential needs and search, search, search.

Cargurus is your friend
Agate 7MT on 19s. What a cool find, and for 15-16% off sticker after sitting for 9 months? Congrats, and what is the rest of the spec on that car? And...how are you liking it?
Old 06-01-2018, 12:21 PM
cpbmd
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 102 Posts

Below is a 2017 C2S not titled. Asking $112,990
I was looking for a 2016 or 2015 to save some money. I would consider 2017 if there is good value in the car. It has 500 miles. Not titled. Warranty punched, don't know when.
What do you think about this car? I want MT. I will mainly use the car fro touring. No track or any kind of racing.
Thanks
CB

Prod Month:
01/2016
VIN:
WP0AB2A9XHS122131
Price:
$129,995.00
Exterior:
Graphite Blue Metallic
Interior:
Leather Interior in Black
Warranty Start:
February 29, 2016
Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC) incl. PASM Sport Suspension (20 mm Lower)
20" RS Spyder Design Wheels
Front axle lift system
Manual Transmission
Luggage net in passenger footwell
Smoking package
Electric slide/tilt sunroof
Launch vehicle
9VL
Bose
A7
Graphite Blue Metallic
AZ
Leather interior in Black
P06
Power Sport Seats (14-way) with Memory Package
P3P
Sport Package
QH1
Voice Control
XSC
Porsche Crest on headrests
Old 06-01-2018, 12:28 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by cpbmd
I was looking for a 2016 or 2015 to save some money. I would consider 2017 if there is good value in the car. It has 500 miles. Not titled. Warranty punched, don't know when.
What do you think about this car? I want MT. I will mainly use the car fro touring. No track or any kind of racing.
Thanks
CB

Prod Month:
01/2016
VIN:
WP0AB2A9XHS122131
Price:
$129,995.00
Exterior:
Graphite Blue Metallic
Interior:
Leather Interior in Black
Warranty Start:
February 29, 2016
Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC) incl. PASM Sport Suspension (20 mm Lower)
20" RS Spyder Design Wheels
Front axle lift system
Manual Transmission
Luggage net in passenger footwell
Smoking package
Electric slide/tilt sunroof
Launch vehicle
9VL
Bose
A7
Graphite Blue Metallic
AZ
Leather interior in Black
P06
Power Sport Seats (14-way) with Memory Package
P3P
Sport Package
QH1
Voice Control
XSC
Porsche Crest on headrests
Build date 1/16, Punched 2/16. That has been sitting on the lot for 2+ years??

$129k MSRP.

It needs to have CPO and double the discount they are offering you. A deal to be done probably.....
Old 06-01-2018, 12:38 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

Thanks
CB
Actually, in the text you included it says when the warranty started: February 29, 2016.

All of what you are looking at here is similar to what I encountered. I bought a similarly-stickered 2017 S in January with 975 miles but with a warranty start in 8/17 at a price similar to their asking price (after negotiation and with a better value for my trade than others were offering). I'd think with two years of warranty gone they would either CPO for free or reduce the price quite a bit more. The pending temporary factory shutdown and the possible tariffs on German cars may be helping keep car prices more elevated.

But here's the bottom line. Whatever people tell you here you should be able to get as a discount doesn't matter if no one will sell you a car at that price. Find the best candidate cars you can (2 or 3 if possible)... ideally ones that you would really be happy with (don't settle on color if you don't like it).... and then whatever the best price you can get when comparing the dealer offers is the one to take. Telling each dealer about the other cars and where they are is fine. Even if you don't have a second candidate, find at least one that is a close enough match that it is plausible that you are really considering it and make that the competition. The dealer that sold me my last car was actually looking up the competing car online and call me back telling me the pros and cons of that car versus his while also coming down a little more on price spread between my trade and the new car.

Edit: Oh yeah. That car looks pretty nicely optioned to me. I would get them to throw in a fresh oil change and maybe even two year service before it is driven away though.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:18 PM
cpbmd
Burning Brakes

Thanks very much guys. I really appreciate the opinions. That is a great plan to cause competition between dealers. I guess it boils down to how much they want to sell the car.
BTW does this car have Sports Chrono? I don't see it listed in the options. I has the clock on the dash though.

Thanks again. This is a great forum.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:21 PM
cpbmd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by spiderv6
Build date 1/16, Punched 2/16. That has been sitting on the lot for 2+ years??

$129k MSRP.

It needs to have CPO and double the discount they are offering you. A deal to be done probably.....
Why would such a nice car be on the lot for 2 years? Makes no sense to me.
Does the CPO run after the manufacturer warranty or does it run contemporaneously?

Thanks
CB
Old 06-01-2018, 02:33 PM
cpbmd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by StormRune
Actually, in the text you included it says when the warranty started: February 29, 2016.

All of what you are looking at here is similar to what I encountered. I bought a similarly-stickered 2017 S in January with 975 miles but with a warranty start in 8/17 at a price similar to their asking price (after negotiation and with a better value for my trade than others were offering). I'd think with two years of warranty gone they would either CPO for free or reduce the price quite a bit more. The pending temporary factory shutdown and the possible tariffs on German cars may be helping keep car prices more elevated.

But here's the bottom line. Whatever people tell you here you should be able to get as a discount doesn't matter if no one will sell you a car at that price. Find the best candidate cars you can (2 or 3 if possible)... ideally ones that you would really be happy with (don't settle on color if you don't like it).... and then whatever the best price you can get when comparing the dealer offers is the one to take. Telling each dealer about the other cars and where they are is fine. Even if you don't have a second candidate, find at least one that is a close enough match that it is plausible that you are really considering it and make that the competition. The dealer that sold me my last car was actually looking up the competing car online and call me back telling me the pros and cons of that car versus his while also coming down a little more on price spread between my trade and the new car.

Edit: Oh yeah. That car looks pretty nicely optioned to me. I would get them to throw in a fresh oil change and maybe even two year service before it is driven away though.
The car is only discounted 13% right now. That seems like a low discount for a car sitting around for 2 years. 20% discount would price the car at $103,999
Definitely I would ask them to go through the car before purchase. The rotors look really rusted too.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:26 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Thanks very much guys. I really appreciate the opinions. That is a great plan to cause competition between dealers. I guess it boils down to how much they want to sell the car.
BTW does this car have Sports Chrono? I don't see it listed in the options. I has the clock on the dash though.
Thanks again. This is a great forum.
Yes. the car has the P3P Sport Package. This includes PSE (Sport Exhaust), RAS (Rear-Axle Steering), Sport Design Mirrors, Sport Steering Wheel (smaller), and the Sport Chrono functions.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:32 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Also FYI, I don't know if it is the case with this car, but some dealerships have been buying remaining inventory from other smaller and sometimes more remote dealerships that have a harder time selling quantities of cars. My car was one of these. Since they likely had to leave the original dealer with some profit they have a bit less wiggle room in their pricing.

But yeah, I agree with the others that with there should be more room in their pricing on this one regardless since it is two years into its warranty and almost two years into its production date. I still wonder how much the factory shutdown, inventory/allocation shortages, and impending tariffs are going to make it harder and harder to find the same deals that might have been found with leftover cars like this in previous years.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:44 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
I still wonder how much the factory shutdown, inventory/allocation shortages, and impending tariffs are going to make it harder and harder to find the same deals that might have been found with leftover cars like this in previous years.
Good question, for a "fresh" car I think it's a valid consideration. For a car 2 years on the lot......I'm not sure it is so relevant (although of course the dealer will argue otherwise!)

Why has it sat for 2 years? Partly because it is manual (~10% of the buyers) and after that I don't know.....seems like a pretty good build to me. Color is nothing crazy. In the end if the car works for you it seems like an aggressive deal should be very possible.

Quick Reply: Leftover 2017 pricing thoughts ?