Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 06:06 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Mojo.K
Do you have an iPhone 11? Works fine on older phones with 13.1
I have the Xs Max. I failed to include this, sorry.
Old 09-27-2019, 06:20 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 84 Posts

I just reached out to Nick from NMautomotive in the UK. I was informed so far things look favorable with his insurers and he should have an answer in a few weeks if his products will be available to US/Canada. Nick also informed me his product/CarPlay is now wireless capable and functions with iOS13. I did not inquire about iPhone 11 functionality.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:06 PM
RYE
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RYE
Uni Chip Smart Auto with iPhone 11 Pro Max isn't working for me either. I get a homescreen but then it stops working after a few seconds.

I suspect it is related to how much power the iPhone 11s draw with the updated fast charging hardware.

I suppose another reason to upgrade to wireless CarPlay!
Just tried again with my Pro Max, this time fully charged at 100%. CarPlay worked without any issues - all apps launch, no disconnects, music and nav all work. I am pretty sure it's related to the quick charge power draw in the iPhone 11.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:09 PM
alainpp
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sidvicious7
I just reached out to Nick from NMautomotive in the UK. I was informed so far things look favorable with his insurers and he should have an answer in a few weeks if his products will be available to US/Canada. Nick also informed me his product/CarPlay is now wireless capable and functions with iOS13. I did not inquire about iPhone 11 functionality.
I was also in touch with him and confirmed the wifi version. Unfortunately, those os us with the wired version must change the box and the cables that connect to the PCM (but not the inside board). We basically must change everything. I was hoping to get the wifi via a software update. Maybe adding an USB wifi adapter to the female USB cable coming out of the box.
Old 09-28-2019, 05:52 PM
DanishAmerican
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the same problem with my iPhone 11 Pro. It causes the music to jitter and cut in and out, and the interface is very laggy. With my old iPhone X, everything works and is super snappy.

Emailed with Nick earlier today, and he said that "when we did a lot on the Android Auto tests we found that 0.5m additional cable length could be the difference between it working perfectly and not working at all. We know that the newer iPhones are more sensitive to cable lengths/voltage drops... I’d suggest going for removing the extension completely and testing with your iPhone direct to the CarPlay harness. It should be fine then. (Your video is exactly what happens when the cable length is too long, we can reproduce it here by deliberately adding USB cable extensions)".

In other words, the cable is too long.
Old 09-28-2019, 06:27 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 538 Likes on 315 Posts

Yep, can confirm AA is very sensitive to the cable length and the quality of the cable, too. Apple might have ended up in a similar situation now.

I'll test my wife's iPhone next week to see how it does, but my Pixel 3 has been flawless since they pushed out Android 10 last month.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:09 AM
Jonathan1982
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PCM 3.1

This video talks you through it, really helpful:
Old 10-01-2019, 02:14 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,212 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by Sidvicious7
Nick also informed me his product/CarPlay is now wireless capable and functions with iOS13.
Now we're talking. As soon as that is available I am buying.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:46 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Man, I would love to know the real reason why NM Automotive won't ship to the US. I'd buy this thing in an instant if I felt I were getting the whole story.
The "insurance" thing makes no sense. Nobody cares about "insurance," and they know it. The brochure makes it very clear that it's your neck on the line if your screwdriver slips, or if it turns out that NM didn't do the math right.

So what's the deal?
Old 10-01-2019, 06:00 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,212 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Man, I would love to know the real reason why NM Automotive won't ship to the US. I'd buy this thing in an instant if I felt I were getting the whole story.
The "insurance" thing makes no sense. Nobody cares about "insurance," and they know it. The brochure makes it very clear that it's your neck on the line if your screwdriver slips, or if it turns out that NM didn't do the math right.

So what's the deal?
lol yea that’s total BS. Apple is probably looking to sue them and maybe can’t until they ship to US?
Old 10-01-2019, 06:25 PM
RYE
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 24 Posts

So what's the deal?
I think it has to do with general liability...

NM Automotive resells the UniChip Smartauto solution and adds standoffs to install without replacing SAT-XM. You can buy directly or also JoyeAuto has a wireless CarPlay solution. Buying direct will save you a lot of money even if you add in the misc. items you may need. This forum has answered almost all questions and has provided additional support. You have plenty of options.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:03 PM
Mojo.K
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

So what's the deal?
Buy direct and save your self $300. The NM Automotive key has a Parrot microphone ($25) instead of the generic one included with the kit, plus standoffs ($5), and instructions/support ($priceless), however all were answered/detailed here as @RYE indicated.

I also would not recommend getting the Unichip solution, the Joyce auto one looks better (I have a Unichip box for full disclosure).
Old 10-02-2019, 03:53 PM
wizard263789
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Or perhaps it is just an insurance related issue and nothing more exciting? Perhaps being sensible with product and public liability isn't such a bad idea regardless of whether your screwdriver slips, believe it or not UK insurers are very wary of goods supply to the US and Canada due to the potential of high litigation costs ......

So what's the deal?
Old 10-02-2019, 05:41 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

LOL, I can just see suing someone in the UK over a defective CarPlay board that I installed myself. I'll use Interpol for process service, then haul them up before The Hague.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:25 PM
DanishAmerican
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default iPhone 11 Pro working again

Originally Posted by DanishAmerican
I have the same problem with my iPhone 11 Pro. It causes the music to jitter and cut in and out, and the interface is very laggy. With my old iPhone X, everything works and is super snappy.

Emailed with Nick earlier today, and he said that "when we did a lot on the Android Auto tests we found that 0.5m additional cable length could be the difference between it working perfectly and not working at all. We know that the newer iPhones are more sensitive to cable lengths/voltage drops... I’d suggest going for removing the extension completely and testing with your iPhone direct to the CarPlay harness. It should be fine then. (Your video is exactly what happens when the cable length is too long, we can reproduce it here by deliberately adding USB cable extensions)".

In other words, the cable is too long.
Good news! My iPhone 11 Pro now works perfectly again with CarPlay.

As Nick from https://www.nmautomotive.co.uk/ advised, my glitch problems were due to a USB extension cable. As soon as it was removed, CarPlay has been flawless (driving 4 hours today with multiple stops/restarts).

Also, a huge thank you and shout out to https://www.perzanautoradio.com/ who kindly and swiftly helped remove the extension cable. If you are in the North East in the US, I cannot recommend them enough.

Last edited by DanishAmerican; 10-12-2019 at 09:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1