Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2024, 11:24 AM
boxdriver
Racer

Received 264 Likes on 97 Posts

Okay, @stasha got me thinking with the switch idea. Anyone who wants to use their backup camera at any time can easily hook it up to a switch. That would save the time from switching using an app as @bmxtreme posted. This would help those who want the camera to stay on longer when they are parking also. Every time that I park in my garage, I have to make sure I am in far enough that the garage door wont close on it since I have to leave as much room in front of my car as possible, so I only pull in just enough to close the door. Currently, I put the car back into reverse just so the camera comes back on and I can make sure I am clear.

Here is how to hook that up so the camera comes on with the switch because it thinks the car was put into reverse. I'm not sure if you would need the diode, but I put it in to be safe. I have not tried this yet, but there is no reason that I can see why it wouldn't work.

Last edited by boxdriver; 09-05-2024 at 11:25 AM.
Old 09-05-2024, 12:28 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 65 Posts

Don't think it matters keeping the camera powered all the time. Most OEM car cameras are powered all time anyway. The app can just be a shortcut on your launcher, so it just acts like a switch anyway if one have use for it. I have a shortcut for my front camera. For the added switch, guess the only inconvenience is the need to turn the switch off.

Last edited by bmxtreme; 09-05-2024 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-05-2024, 01:41 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

Originally Posted by boxdriver
Okay, @stasha got me thinking with the switch idea. Anyone who wants to use their backup camera at any time can easily hook it up to a switch. That would save the time from switching using an app as @bmxtreme posted. This would help those who want the camera to stay on longer when they are parking also. Every time that I park in my garage, I have to make sure I am in far enough that the garage door wont close on it since I have to leave as much room in front of my car as possible, so I only pull in just enough to close the door. Currently, I put the car back into reverse just so the camera comes back on and I can make sure I am clear.

Here is how to hook that up so the camera comes on with the switch because it thinks the car was put into reverse. I'm not sure if you would need the diode, but I put it in to be safe. I have not tried this yet, but there is no reason that I can see why it wouldn't work.

I am guessing without the diode, your reverse lamp will light up, which isn't bad i suppose?
Old 09-05-2024, 05:06 PM
MKRacer39
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MKRacer39
Thanks for the response. Yes I have non Bose which I think is the SPP audio. I've just ordered a CHSTEK unit so will install it and update this thread with my findings.
So I installed my 7862 today and using the guide all went well.

I have a non Bose 991 with the ASK amp and previously had to remove my Ersin unit as the static hiss was unbearable. Whilst there may be a little hiss with this unit, it's not a great deal and can be mostly removed in in the settings (noise reduction shuts off the ASK amp when there's no output). Overall sound quality is great, better than the ISUDAR unit I had in my PCM unit.

I also installed an Ersin DAB box I had which works fine.

This unit really is step up compared the Ersin and well worth the upgrade.
The following users liked this post:
ZedZed (09-05-2024)
Old 09-05-2024, 06:43 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 143 Posts

Congrats to you and welcome to the 7862 club!

My setup is the same as yours and I also think the audio is a big step forward albeit with a small amount of audible hiss with the engine off.

Enjoy!
Old 09-05-2024, 06:50 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 258 Likes on 211 Posts

I have been running my camera power hooked up to power at all times that the car is on for almost 4 years and I have not had any issues with it. I don't see a need for a switch. Seems like that would be a hassle to turn it on every time I wanted to backup. If I was worried about the camera being powered on when the car is on, I would just hook the power up to the brown wire and see if it had a delay.
Same here. I have had a camera permanently powered for close to 5 years in my Jaguar, and there have been zero problems with it. I too see no need for the added complication of a switch. And if you're going to add a switch which you have to operate to make the camera work, then there's no need to bother with automated camera turn-on when selecting reverse gear - might just as well manually switch. I think that defeats the point. Just hook the wire up permanently and fuggedaboutit.

Caveat - I always use a good quality camera that costs $40-50. A cheap camera may well burn out if it's permanently powered. But here's two of us who have permanently powered cameras for years, with no issues.

EDIT - when I say 'permanently powered' I mean when the ignition is on. When the ignition is off, the camera is off as well.
Old 09-06-2024, 11:25 AM
Mardets
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently installed the 7862 on my 981 with Bose. I was able to get sound from the rear speakers.

I upgraded from the Erisin and kept the MOST box from the Erisin installation. I didn't install the Erisin myself but I had an independent Porche technician do it for me. The only difference I noticed in the wiring is that he tapped the MOST box to the big wires from the car side of the harness instead of the HU side. I hope that helps.

One question for those who have successfully flashed the firmware updates or the boot animation: does the HU automatically detect the flashing files when you plug in the USB while in Android or do you have to go into the system factory and manually flash the files? I tried various Isec files from the OneDrive folder and nothing happened when I plugged in the USB drive.
RwdConnor (09-06-2024)
Old 09-06-2024, 12:31 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 143 Posts

When you put the USB drive in it will auto detect it.

If you've not done so already:
  • Check the USB stick is formatted correctly and with the files in the right folders and with folder and filenames correct and in the correct (lower) case, per the guide
  • Make sure you use the USB port that connects to our original OEM USB socket (in the glovebox etc)
Old 09-06-2024, 01:27 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

Originally Posted by Mardets
I recently installed the 7862 on my 981 with Bose. I was able to get sound from the rear speakers.

I upgraded from the Erisin and kept the MOST box from the Erisin installation. I didn't install the Erisin myself but I had an independent Porche technician do it for me. The only difference I noticed in the wiring is that he tapped the MOST box to the big wires from the car side of the harness instead of the HU side. I hope that helps.

One question for those who have successfully flashed the firmware updates or the boot animation: does the HU automatically detect the flashing files when you plug in the USB while in Android or do you have to go into the system factory and manually flash the files? I tried various Isec files from the OneDrive folder and nothing happened when I plugged in the USB drive.
Don't flash with the CHSTEK firmware in the folder. That's just there in case things are busted and you need to restore it back to a CHSTEK version (i think what matter is to know the manufacturerId and the uiid from the fyt.prop file). I just realized it contains a severely outdated version of the AllAppUpdate.bin (4/23), and maybe an older kernel (12/23 or 7/23). Looks like most folks have a newer version (4/24) when the unit came.

BTW, do you have picture of what your MOST box looks like and what wires are connected to the car harness?
RwdConnor (09-06-2024)
Old 09-06-2024, 01:42 PM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 47 Posts

Im intrigued about wiring the most box to the actual harness. A photo would be super helpful.. if its that easy to get more sound from the rear ill do it when i install my 7862

Just to note @Mardets, We all get sound from the rear, but its very muffled with little control in sending more power to them. Could you maybe try throwing the fader/balance all the way to the back and report your findings. If you still have low sound output then it might not be worth it for others to change the configuration as its still a 2 channel adapter
Old 09-06-2024, 02:05 PM
stasha
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Rear cam switch ideas

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
If you do, rig the switch into the center console
The best would be to have the cam turn on when in Rev gear, plus have a manual ON switch when you need to see behind you (hundreds of reasons, from practical to criminal).
Where's a smart guy who can advise on the wiring??
Old 09-06-2024, 02:24 PM
boxdriver
Racer

Originally Posted by stasha
The best would be to have the cam turn on when in Rev gear, plus have a manual ON switch when you need to see behind you (hundreds of reasons, from practical to criminal).
Where's a smart guy who can advise on the wiring??
That is exactly what I have drawn out in post #4006.
Old 09-06-2024, 04:09 PM
Mardets
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure how to test the rear speakers because I have a Boxster so the Carbin space is pretty limited to test the fader. But it sounds pretty loud and clear. We're talking about the speakers behind the seats on the 981 right?

I need to remove the HU to replace the scratched-up AC unit next week. I'll try to take a photo of the wiring then.

Found the solution to the lsec6315update not flashing. So my CHSTEK was shipped with the actual Android 12 firmware instead of Android 10 SDK 29. lsec6315update is only specific to Android 10 SDK 29.

I found the lsec file for Android 12 called lsec6315updateA12 in this thread here: https://xdaforums.com/t/uis7862a-and...rking.4639148/. I was able to flash the boot animation for my HU with it.

I hope this helps anyone who is being shipped the new CHSTEK units with Android 12.

Last edited by Mardets; 09-06-2024 at 04:11 PM.
RwdConnor (09-06-2024)
Old 09-06-2024, 04:37 PM
stasha
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Rear cam switch

That is exactly what I have drawn out in post #4006.
Ahhh, yes -- Sorry for the oversight (I haphazardly have been following this.
Thanks for the diagram!
Old 09-06-2024, 04:44 PM
boxdriver
Racer

I decided to hook up the switch for the reverse camera. I did it just like my drawing in post #4006 except I didn't put the diode in. I was afraid that it might back feed the power somewhere that I didn't want it, but it seems to work fine without it. Since I have a manual transmission, and my brown wire is connected to my reverse lights, it will power the backup lights when the switch is on, but it shouldn't do that on the PDK cars. The backup camera now works by putting the car in reverse or by turning on the switch. I made a video showing how it works.

The following 4 users liked this post by boxdriver:
andy2111 (09-07-2024), bmxtreme (09-06-2024), Porsche_nuts (09-06-2024), ZedZed (09-06-2024)

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1