Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 06:42 PM
duffin
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sidvicious7
Did you reach out to the vendor if they have one that matches the OEM light? Maybe they can recommend a solution?
No solution. They even put this issues into the small print on their website.

I recommend a lip mounted camera like Crux or https://rydeenmobile.com/product/lip2-camera/ done professionally. Save cost by laying the wiring and they can cut the hole and do the soldering if needed.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:50 AM
Kevin858
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Installed the JoyeAuto unit this week and have some good news and bad news.

Good news: the product works as advertised!

Bad news: I’m now having problems with my PCM rebooting itself every 4:30 minutes.

Here’s what I’ve tried so far to fix the problem with no avail:
  • return fully back to stock
  • reinstall the JoyeAuto product
  • removed the hard drive from the PCM
  • removed XM radio and disc drive

Unfortunately, the PCM may have been damaged during the install. My hope was that I might’ve somehow corrupted the HD, but removing it did not resolve the issue.

JoyeAuto tried to help with troubleshooting, but I think this goes a bit beyond their expertise. I’m still in contact with them, but I'm not sure there’s more they can do.

My next steps (since warranty is out of the question)
  • clone the original hard drive to a new hard drive
  • check diagnostics data with Durametric
  • restore to stock and ask dealer to reload software
  • look to buy a replacement unit used or contact Becker Autosound for repair

If anyone has any other ideas I haven’t thought of, please chime in! Thx.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:16 AM
elleff
4th Gear

@Kevin858 I wish I had a helpful suggestion for you but I don’t unfortunately. Just want to say thanks for sharing your experience; I’m keen to hear how you go, and hope you solve the issue. Giving me pause for installing my own kit now!
Old 07-17-2019, 10:03 AM
nb1234
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Android related question:

I've been trying to confirm that these units (especially the joyeauto, but even the nm automotive) have a functioning Android mirroring functionality. And by this I mean that you can use the PCM's touchscreen to control the Android functions. I've seen videos that seem to show it the other way around where controlling from the phone appears on the car's screen, but that is not so useful to me if that's the only way it works.

Anybody with direct experience using Android?

Last edited by nb1234; 07-17-2019 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:01 AM
elleff
4th Gear

I successfully installed a Joyeauto module yesterday, a few notes that I hope others may find useful:
  • On first test my phone would not ask if I wanted to authorise a CarPlay connection and CarPlay would not start. I eventually figured out I had to go into the Joyeauto settings to enable CarPlay for my phone... don’t think this is documented anywhere!
  • It wasn’t easy, but I managed to get the module in behind the climate controls without removing them.
  • My battery went flat during the process of the install, guess I took too long. The PCM was unresponsive once I charged up the battery... I ended up having to pull the PCM fuse to force a reboot. All good after that.
  • Audio quality was terrible using the AUX out, sounded like an underwater karaoke bar. I had to enable Bluetooth in the Joyeauto settings and now it’s good
  • The resolution is slightly too tall, icons should be square but are a little bit taller than they should be. It’s so subtle I can live with it, but have contacted Joyeauto to ask if there is a fix

Last edited by elleff; 07-21-2019 at 07:36 AM.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:44 AM
Benjamin L
Track Day

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Joyeauto 2014 911 C4S w/ Bose Install

First of all thank you all for your comments, they were very helpful. I installed the wireless Joyeauto system over the weekend to my 2014 911 C4S with Bose and I thought I'd throw out my experience. Not knowing which standoffs I needed, I ordered a kit with several different sizes. I ended up needing M2.5 and about 32-33 mm height, which I achived by cobbling together several pieces and using nuts as spacers. It's not perfect, but it should work just fine. Using these standoffs enabled me to keep Satilite radio. I also was able to fit the external module into the space directly above the climate controles, but I must have accedentally flipped one of the dips while cramming it in as I lost all feed when switching into reverse. I had to take it out and reposition them, but now everything works well. It may be worthwhile to use masking tape to secure them. In terms of required skill, this is pretty low. If you can use a screw driver, you can do it. All the panels required to be removed just pop out with some gentel force. If you're leery, just go slow. As for guides for how to remove different parts/panels, I found Plenum's service manual incredibly helpful, so shout out to him. You can find the blog post (he has a lot of great posts on other projects as well) here: https://plenums.blogspot.com/2016/01...reference.html or the direct download link here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nd...KXs2E3chlOvHmC. As others have said, the system is quite remarkable and really upgrades the look. I highly recommend it.
The following users liked this post:
mkmccrary (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 02:21 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,229 Likes on 743 Posts

. . .
Old 07-22-2019, 04:26 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,303 Likes on 887 Posts

Plenum is a national treasure, all right.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:29 PM
nsau
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

If a group buy happens from NM Automotive, count me in as well!
Old 07-23-2019, 07:21 PM
bdschet
AutoX

Does anyone with the Joyeauto kit know if the system can be upgraded to iOS 13 when it comes out this fall? And how does one do the update?
Old 07-23-2019, 09:00 PM
Andiparker
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It works perfectly with iOS 13. I've been using mine with the developer betas for a while now.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:40 PM
camaroz1985
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bdschet
Does anyone with the Joyeauto kit know if the system can be upgraded to iOS 13 when it comes out this fall? And how does one do the update?
The update is on your phone, nothing needs to be done to the car units. This is how all CarPlay units work, as they are just getting the info from the phone itself.
The following users liked this post:
subaru335i (08-24-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 12:44 PM
Kenith
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Installed the Joye kit last night. All went well for the PCB install, including using 40mm M3 standoffs. I am having issues with the installation of the rear camera as the instructions are not very good.

First, I believe the "trigger wire" should send 12v from the reverse switch to the smart box where the diagram shows ". Can anyone confirm this?

Second, the car previously had the maxspeed back up camera where the OEM camera was coded in. I've set the dip switch (8) to on and off with no input to the camera. Any thoughts on why? I haven't tried the CD button to check the settings yet though.

Old 07-26-2019, 06:53 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenith
Installed the Joye kit last night. All went well for the PCB install, including using 40mm M3 standoffs. I am having issues with the installation of the rear camera as the instructions are not very good.

First, I believe the "trigger wire" should send 12v from the reverse switch to the smart box where the diagram shows ". Can anyone confirm this?

Second, the car previously had the maxspeed back up camera where the OEM camera was coded in. I've set the dip switch (8) to on and off with no input to the camera. Any thoughts on why? I haven't tried the CD button to check the settings yet though.

Did you release the emergency brake? The red 12 VDC wire is required to power up the camera, including the yellow RCA connector/s. In the PCM settings select (CarPlay Camera & Camera Video Type CVBS, if available). If you are using an aftermarket camera the #8 dip switch needs to be in the off position. Good luck.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:52 PM
Kenith
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sidvicious7
Did you release the emergency brake? The red 12 VDC wire is required to power up the camera, including the yellow RCA connector/s. In the PCM settings select (CarPlay Camera & Camera Video Type CVBS, if available). If you are using an aftermarket camera the #8 dip switch needs to be in the off position. Good luck.
The ebrake was off, no luck. the camera is currently powered on via the reverse lights from the trunk. The red wire "rear-camera 12v" does not send 12v to the camera, I believe this is to trigger the smart box that the vehicle is in reverse, otherwise how would the smart box know? I've tried dip switch 8 in both on and off, without luck.

I will try the PCM settings to see if that helps.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1