Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 05:13 PM
Kenith
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would like to see Nick's install instructions. Would anyone be willing to share so I can see what's involved in detail? TIA!
Old 05-23-2019, 03:20 AM
Mikker
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

A huge shout out for ACG Automotive in San Diego. Girard took especially good care of my 991.1S when installing this fabulous CarPlay kit from NM Automotive in the U.K. (Thank you Nick - you are GREAT).
Now, my 2015 Cab has a full CarPlay interface with Waze, Podcast, text messaging, etc. it even comes with a Backup camera. It’s like having a brand new car. THANK YOU - Nick & Girard!!
Old 05-24-2019, 12:52 PM
suterusu
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyt
I had the same concerns but another member confirmed 25mmx2.5 risers solve the problem. Amazon has tons of them.
Do you have a link to the risers? Amazon search wasn't helpful.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:06 PM
Mojo.K
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by suterusu
Search "standoff screws". I bought this kit:
Amazon Amazon

It doesn't have a 25mm raiser if thats the size you want. Depending on which satellite radio you have (some are thinner than others), you will need a different riser length.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:09 PM
suterusu
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mojo.K
Search "standoff screws". I bought this kit:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It doesn't have a 25mm raiser if thats the size you want. Depending on which satellite radio you have (some are thinner than others), you will need a different riser length.

Wow, I had a huge brain fart......I built computers as one of my first jobs 20 years ago...I probably have these in a parts bin in my basement.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:10 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by suterusu
Try this link.

https://www.amazon.com/Electronics-Salon-Male-Female-Stainless-Assortment-Raspberry-Pi/dp/B072N84VM3/ref=pd_sbs_60_2/130-5124109-5045512?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B072N84VM3&pd_rd_r=15c58ef2-7e46-11e9-b428-7d17b7108ea6&pd_rd_w=Kbd96&pd_rd_wg=XGdlR&pf_rd_p=588939de-d3f8-42f1-a3d8-d556eae5797d&pf_rd_r=76RVN7WFZS560F69VW49&psc=1&refRID=76RVN7WFZS560F69VW49 https://www.amazon.com/Electronics-Salon-Male-Female-Stainless-Assortment-Raspberry-Pi/dp/B072N84VM3/ref=pd_sbs_60_2/130-5124109-5045512?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B072N84VM3&pd_rd_r=15c58ef2-7e46-11e9-b428-7d17b7108ea6&pd_rd_w=Kbd96&pd_rd_wg=XGdlR&pf_rd_p=588939de-d3f8-42f1-a3d8-d556eae5797d&pf_rd_r=76RVN7WFZS560F69VW49&psc=1&refRID=76RVN7WFZS560F69VW49
Old 05-24-2019, 02:12 PM
kennyt
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You beat me to it.
Old 05-25-2019, 12:13 AM
cetin
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wireless CarPlay installed, works perfectly

I've got mine installed on a 2013 911. I don't need the SiriusXM so didn't even bother with risers, works great whether iPhone is concerned through USB or wifi. Ordered from China, local audio shop installed it. Let me know if you need the details.
Old 05-27-2019, 02:08 PM
pfan79
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All! First post on Rennlist. Did the CarPlay retrofit install on my 2016 Boxster, here are my notes and a few follow up questions! Would appreciate folks weighing in.

- Kit: is the Joyeauto PCM3.1 with Wireless CarPlay, about 400$ USD shipped express to California on Aliexpress. Kit came nicely packaged and all components seem very high quality. Wiring harnesses nicely wrapped in fabric tape etc - looks automotive grade to my untrained eye.
- Car: Installation into a 2016 Boxster: Pulled trim pieces on each side of the shifter console. Requires a lot of force, feels like you're going to break the car, but they do come out, straight horizontally towards the doors on each side. After that, four screws to remove the PCM unit.
- First test: Connected everything together using included wiring chart - it is fairly fool proof EXCEPT one important item not noted on instructions - their main wiring harness pass-through does NOT include the two fibre optic cables, so the connector for them must be removed from the factory wiring block and moved over to the pass-through block they provide, such that the fibre cables are still going straight into the back of the radio. Didn't do this at first and the car both had no audio and would not change audio source.
- Satellite Radio problem: As mentioned by some, after removing the satellite radio board to make room for theirs, FM and AM radio no longer have sound. I've ordered the longer stand-offs - Question: I imagine I will have to put a "hard" bend in the ribbon cables in order to fit their board with longer stand-offs. Is that a no-no? It feels like it will really tight with both boards... Or is there a way to get FM/AM sound back with the satellite radio removed? That would probably be my preferred choice...
- Backup Camera problem: My factory backup camera no longer turns on when shifting into reverse with their kit installed. Their kit has an option for their own camera (for cars that didn't come with one) but even after making sure the DIP switch is set for "Factory original" backup camera, it doesn't work. I've emailed them asking for help on this point.
- Final Re-assembly: I still need to get the longer stand-offs and fix the backup camera before final re-assembly, but in the meantime I am left wondering where to put their box and the big bundle of cables that go to it. Any advice? There seems to be room below the PCM unit, which is basically behind the climate unit, but am unsure of how to get access to that space. Looks like I may have to pull the whole shifter console trim assembly? I'd actually be fine with leaving it in the glove box (where I have it temporarily now) but I can't seem to route the cables in a way where the glove box will close without pinching the wires. As it is now it was easy to get the cables to the glove box, but they pinch when closing.

Last edited by pfan79; 05-27-2019 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:29 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by pfan79
Hi All! First post on Rennlist. Did the CarPlay retrofit install on my 2016 Boxster, here are my notes and a few follow up questions! Would appreciate folks weighing in.

- Kit: is the Joyeauto PCM3.1 with Wireless CarPlay, about 400$ USD shipped express to California on Aliexpress. Kit came nicely packaged and all components seem very high quality. Wiring harnesses nicely wrapped in fabric tape etc - looks automotive grade to my untrained eye.
- Car: Installation into a 2016 Boxster: Pulled trim pieces on each side of the shifter console. Requires a lot of force, feels like you're going to break the car, but they do come out, straight horizontally towards the doors on each side. After that, four screws to remove the PCM unit.
- First test: Connected everything together using included wiring chart - it is fairly fool proof EXCEPT one important item not noted on instructions - their main wiring harness pass-through does NOT include the two fibre optic cables, so the connector for them must be removed from the factory wiring block and moved over to the pass-through block they provide, such that the fibre cables are still going straight into the back of the radio. Didn't do this at first and the car both had no audio and would not change audio source.
- Satellite Radio problem: As mentioned by some, after removing the satellite radio board to make room for theirs, FM and AM radio no longer have sound. I've ordered the longer stand-offs - Question: I imagine I will have to put a "hard" bend in the ribbon cables in order to fit their board with longer stand-offs. Is that a no-no? It feels like it will really tight with both boards... Or is there a way to get FM/AM sound back with the satellite radio removed? That would probably be my preferred choice...
- Backup Camera problem: My factory backup camera no longer turns on when shifting into reverse with their kit installed. Their kit has an option for their own camera (for cars that didn't come with one) but even after making sure the DIP switch is set for "Factory original" backup camera, it doesn't work. I've emailed them asking for help on this point.
- Final Re-assembly: I still need to get the longer stand-offs and fix the backup camera before final re-assembly, but in the meantime I am left wondering where to put their box and the big bundle of cables that go to it. Any advice? There seems to be room below the PCM unit, which is basically behind the climate unit, but am unsure of how to get access to that space. Looks like I may have to pull the whole shifter console trim assembly? I'd actually be fine with leaving it in the glove box (where I have it temporarily now) but I can't seem to route the cables in a way where the glove box will close without pinching the wires. As it is now it was easy to get the cables to the glove box, but they pinch when closing.

The kit you ordered from Joyeauto I believe also utilizes the Unichip Integration box as NMautomotive.uk.

1.) Satellite Radio PC Board: You don’t have to remove the satellite PC board. By doing so you run the risk of losing your audio; which is what you stated.
Re-install the Satellite Radio PC Board and verify your connections are firm.
2.) The brass stand-offs you require are M3 x 23mm male to female at four pieces. Remove the four screws that hold the Satellite Radio PC Board secure.
Screw each stand-off where you removed the screws and “ONLY” hand tighten without too much force or you run the risk of cracking the PC board.

You can locate the stand-offs on eBay or Amazon.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/M3x23-6mm-Male-Female-Threaded-Brass-Hex-Tapped-Hexagonal-Spacer-Standoff-5pcs/391411372383? hash=item5b21ef915f:g:STYAAOSwhlZZ0qSf

3.) You don’t need to bend the ribbon connector/s at a sharp 90 degrees. The ribbon connectors will have sufficient room for installation with the correct
23mm male to female stand-offs. There is sufficient room with the Satellite Radio PC Board and the CarPlay motherboard and ribbon connectors.
4.) As for your backup camera not working..... Try this! Go in to the PCM setup mode by holding the [CD-Eject] button for approximately 7 seconds and release. Your screen should display the setup mode. Verify the setting defaults to [Factory Camera/PDC]. Scroll to the bottom of the screen to exit and it should save your setting. To select a specific setting, use the **** to the right to scroll up/down and press to select an option. MAKE SURE YOUR EMERGENCY BRAKE IS DISENGAGED, OTHERWISE YOUR BACKUP CAMERA WILL NOT FUNCTION!
5.) As for the Fiber-Optic cables... As far and i know the kits require you detach the fiber-optic connector from the main harness loom and reattach it to the new harness at the back side of the PCM.
6.) Placing the Integration box and routing the harness loom with the LVDS cable is not impossible, but a challenge. You need to take precautions here to ensure you do not bent or pinch cables. Refer to the attached pictures for reference. Take your time and be patient otherwise you run the risk of damaging your component/s and wiring harness.

CD-Eject Button

PCM Setup Mode

Exit

Integration Box_Under PCM Compartment

CarPlay Motherboard / Ribbon Connectors Satellite Radio Board Mounted below
Old 05-27-2019, 10:58 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 461 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikker
A huge shout out for ACG Automotive in San Diego. Girard took especially good care of my 991.1S when installing this fabulous CarPlay kit from NM Automotive in the U.K. (Thank you Nick - you are GREAT).
Now, my 2015 Cab has a full CarPlay interface with Waze, Podcast, text messaging, etc. it even comes with a Backup camera. It’s like having a brand new car. THANK YOU - Nick & Girard!!
Can you let me know what it cost to purchase and install the system? You can PM me if for some reason you don't want the info public.

Also, NM's web site says they won't ship to U.S. How did you obtain it?
Old 05-29-2019, 05:36 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I too would be very interested in acquiring a kit.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:02 AM
BOCKTAGON
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pdxjim
I too would be very interested in acquiring a kit.

Same! Is there an opportunity for another group buy
Old 06-01-2019, 11:09 AM
Kenith
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BOCKTAGON
Same! Is there an opportunity for another group buy
I would be in too, but unfortunately Nick is no longer shipping to the US.
Old 06-01-2019, 03:45 PM
neondaroo
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Kenith
I would be in too, but unfortunately Nick is no longer shipping to the US.
Same. I'd love to jump in a group buy if something were to happen again.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1