Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2024, 04:02 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts

Hi Bud, The cameral works fine with the Erisin unit and displays the guidelines etc. I think someone somewhere might have been trying it without conecting the power..

The current problem is with the "fix" that we're testing to address the bright lights problem, and that is causing the image from the camera to load very slowly.

If we can get these CAN related issues solved we will have fixed both the bright lights, have all CAN functions fully working and in other recent posts we have largely fixed/worked around the audio hiss, at least for non-Bose card
Old 03-05-2024, 04:04 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by panagath
The only feature I would like it to have would be to be able to read the speed of the car and adjust the volume. the GT4 can be quite loud in the cabin when at speed, and then you stop at the traffic lights and be like an idiot listening to loud music... But that issue was there with the CDR unit too.
What launcher are you using Panagath?

I use the Agama launcher and it does have a speed sensitive audio feature - I have not tried it, but FWIW this (or other) launchers might be able to help you
Old 03-05-2024, 05:42 AM
panagath
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dbhajek
I noticed someone mentioned that the rear factory camera doesn't turn on automatically when the car is put into reverse. Was this problem ever fixed?

I have one of the original Isudar boards. For me, if you're okay with opening up the radio, it's the better option despite the glitches. If they can resolve the bright light problem and the rear camera issue, I'd be interested. I'm keeping an eye on this discussion and hoping for improvements.

V/R,
Bud
The ISUDAR unit unfortunately does not work for the CDR31, only for PCM3.1. The similar options for CDR31 were not worth the hassle. I have friends that have the isudar unit, it is not free of glitches either. Quite a few issues with them too.
Old 03-05-2024, 05:43 AM
panagath
Intermediate

Originally Posted by andy2111
What launcher are you using Panagath?

I use the Agama launcher and it does have a speed sensitive audio feature - I have not tried it, but FWIW this (or other) launchers might be able to help you
No idea. Where do I find this?
Old 03-05-2024, 05:45 AM
panagath
Intermediate

Erisin are getting funny now... They replied with this:

hello,

we didn't ask you to cut CAN-L cable, did you install radio by yourself or in local workshop? is there any chance for you to ask help from professional staff to fix? if the problem solved, we will partial refund as compensation, is that acceptable for you?

Nancy
while in their first message they specifically said this:

​​​​​​​If the problem disappeared after disconnecting the car stereo, please find the CAN-L cable in your car plug, and cut it off to solve

I don't think there is anything else a "professional staff" would do differently. I will keep pushing.
Old 03-05-2024, 08:22 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

No idea. Where do I find this?
You can download Agama launcher form the Google Play store, assuming you can connect your head unit to wifi, or hotspot from your phone?

Here's a nighttime pic of how I set mine up - it's really simple and very configurable.

If you have an Android phone then download the trial version to your phone and have a play with it and then you can decide if its something you like or not. The speed dependent audio feature is found in the settings.

Old 03-05-2024, 08:25 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

I don't think there is anything else a "professional staff" would do differently. I will keep pushing.
Agreed, I don't think a refund is an acceptable solution here, we need a software fix

I just started on my tech support journey and have been told they are speaking to a technician and will get back to me soon...
Old 03-05-2024, 08:25 AM
panagath
Intermediate

You can download Agama launcher form the Google Play store, assuming you can connect your head unit to wifi, or hotspot from your phone?

Here's a nighttime pic of how I set mine up - it's really simple and very configurable.

If you have an Android phone then download the trial version to your phone and have a play with it and then you can decide if its something you like or not. The speed dependent audio feature is found in the settings.
Ah nice, this definitely looks better than Erisin's stock UI. I will give it a go. Thanks!
Old 03-05-2024, 08:33 AM
panagath
Intermediate

Agreed, I don't think a refund is an acceptable solution here, we need a software fix

I just started on my tech support journey and have been told they are speaking to a technician and will get back to me soon...
Yeah. The more people start talking about this issue the more possible it is they will try to fix it. Following is my response to them. I told them if they are not planning to fix this any time soon I will put a youtube review so potential customers know the issues before the buy. Hopefully this will trigger them a bit.
Spoiler

The following 4 users liked this post by panagath:
andy2111 (03-05-2024), Chuck245 (03-05-2024), malahhaor (03-07-2024), ZedZed (03-05-2024)
Old 03-05-2024, 08:52 AM
ZedZed
Pro

Received 190 Likes on 156 Posts

Erisin are getting funny now...

Thanks for persevering. I've been on this "he said, she said" merry-go-round* before with Chinese support. I was getting a different answer from every person who replied, often with one contradicting the other. The 'bright lights' issue isn't a problem here, only seeming to affect the high beam light (which I kinda fixed with a 'dim' sticker), but I'd like to see a proper solution.

* This is what us Brits quaintly call a carousel
Old 03-05-2024, 03:22 PM
Chuck245
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts
Wink

Considering that you were contacting them to tell them that their "fix" actually breaks more stuff, I'm surprised that they didn't (in order of probability):

1) Ignore you
2) Ask "Who are you? Why are you harassing me?"
3) Ask " What is "Erisin"?"

Seriously, you are doing the right thing by keeping pushing. But my guts feeling is that this may take some effort and time...At this point, I suspect that the Customer Support people are throwing everything they can think about against the wall and wait to see what sticks. And if they can get rid of you with a $20 refund, still far cheaper than to develop and roll-out a fix. If you persevere and the issue starts to get more advertising, more chances to get their attention
Edited: Good timing, I just received my $25 check from Porsche for settling the class action for the PCM issues. Would have preferred a free upgrade to the latest/greatest Porsche HU but... Erisin is not the only one having problems with their HU's

Last edited by Chuck245; 03-05-2024 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-05-2024, 03:25 PM
Chuck245
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by ZedZed
Thanks for persevering. I've been on this "he said, she said" merry-go-round* before with Chinese support. I was getting a different answer from every person who replied, often with one contradicting the other. The 'bright lights' issue isn't a problem here, only seeming to affect the high beam light (which I kinda fixed with a 'dim' sticker), but I'd like to see a proper solution.

* This is what us Brits quaintly call a carousel
Same here, I'm very happy with my HU as it is but interested on seeing if there is indeed a real "Customer Support" behind this brand.
Old 03-06-2024, 06:10 AM
panagath
Intermediate

More updates today. They replied with this:

hello,

here is new software:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Lz?usp=sharing

you also will find the instructions about how to update radio in above link, please follow it to do a test.

Nancy
I have downloaded the files but they show they are for a Mercedes Benz. Not a Porsche. I replied back to them about this to see what they will say.
But if anyone who has the issue atm is willing to try then go for it
Old 03-06-2024, 06:55 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

You are ahead of me, this is the nonsense I just got back:

Quick Reply

At least I can now tell them thay are already trying a software fix for another customer..
Old 03-06-2024, 06:58 AM
panagath
Intermediate

You are ahead of me, this is the nonsense I just got back:

Quick Reply

At least I can now tell them thay are already trying a software fix for another customer..
Haha, you got a worst answer than me ... See what you can get after you explain that it is not an issue with codes in the car.

BTW, I was testing my diagnostic tool the other day to see how it works on the Porsche and it didn't give me any errors. So here is an answer for them

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit for 991.1