Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 07:05 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit for 991.1

I saw the attached product when googling online. However I can't find any reference to it in the US. I'm wondering whether anyone has tried it? I would love to add CarPlay to my 2014 Turbo S. It would certainly be cheaper than paying $40k more to upgrade to a 2017.

https://www.nmautomotive.co.uk/carplay-androidauto

Last edited by stealthpilot; 03-06-2018 at 02:57 AM.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:58 PM
dbk123
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I would certainly like to learn about this too.

Anybody?
Old 01-31-2018, 01:05 PM
2013CarreraS
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just found that company today and am most interested in adding it as well.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:30 PM
pfan
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Sounds interesting, however their web page indicates compatibility only through iPhone 7/7plus.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:39 PM
2013CarreraS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pfan
Sounds interesting, however their web page indicates compatibility only through iPhone 7/7plus.
My guess is they made the posting before the 8 and X were announced, since it's the OS and not the phone specifically that would be compatible.
The following users liked this post:
Eric Sarjeant (03-10-2021)
Old 01-31-2018, 01:53 PM
Mr. Big
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

It's curious to me that you can use the Waze GPS app as it's not supported in CarPlay. Is this a mirroring device for the iPhone? Can all of the functions be activated using the car's PCM screen or do you have to navigate the menus by touching the iPhone screen?.

Last edited by Mr. Big; 01-31-2018 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:36 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mr. Big
It's curious to me that you can use the Waze GPS app as it's not supported in CarPlay. Is this a mirroring device for the iPhone? Can all of the functions be activated using the car's PCM screen or do you have to navigate the menus by touching the iPhone screen?.
I think it is the real CarPlay. I found this video but don't know if it is the same product.

Old 01-31-2018, 03:02 PM
2013CarreraS
Intermediate

That's the NaviPlus referenced in your initial post (I tracked that video down from NaviPlus's thread in another forum). I found NaviPlus today in a random search and I want to see if this is a real product or a one-off type thing that someone was able to make work.

I'm extremely interested in this if it's an actual product.
JupiterJohn (01-20-2024)
Old 01-31-2018, 03:05 PM
phx991
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Waze app does not work because Apple does not permit third-party navigation apps in CarPlay. You can, however, stream audio from the Waze app to CarPlay using a workaround that you can find via a Google search. But you will not see Waze maps on your car's display.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:45 PM
Mr. Big
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^ Okay, that makes sense... their website is a bit misleading.
FLfreedom (09-03-2023)
Old 01-31-2018, 04:20 PM
gforcealt
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^ Okay, that makes sense... their website is a bit misleading.
There are a few different systems out there, and many include an interface to the PCM and a separate brain that is capable of more than just CarPlay. For example, many seem to have screen mirroring. I wonder if the reference to Waze is because this system has screen mirroring.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:10 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

I went through the install instructions (attached) with my local car audio shop. They seem to think that this product will not impact the Satellite radio function. I.e. it will add CarPlay but not take away any other functionality. I hope this is correct. If someone here is more expert on this stuff, it would be interesting to have you review the instructions to validate what they are saying.

Their only concern was that it would impact my warranty on the PCM because the instructions require opening the PCM. Not sure how I feel about that.

BTW there is a different vendor whose product seems to require SAT radio removal on this thread.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1029...pcm-3-1-a.html

I am assuming that the other thread is showing a different product, but to be honest I am not that technical so have no idea.

Last edited by stealthpilot; 02-09-2018 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:22 PM
gforcealt
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
I am assuming that the other thread is showing a different product, but to be honest I am not that technical so have no idea.
Having never seen the inside of the PCM, other than in pictures, I'll make an educated guess that your stereo guy is right. I don't see anything in the manual that looks like them removing the SAT module. Also, this system is activated by long pressing the phone button. The one that requires removal of the SAT module seems to be activated via the input selector, i.e., via the same way you'd switch to the SAT.

You could ask the vendor directly, though.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:22 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gforcealt
Having never seen the inside of the PCM, other than in pictures, I'll make an educated guess that your stereo guy is right. I don't see anything in the manual that looks like them removing the SAT module. Also, this system is activated by long pressing the phone button. The one that requires removal of the SAT module seems to be activated via the input selector, i.e., via the same way you'd switch to the SAT.

You could ask the vendor directly, though.
I did ask the vendor. Here was the back and forth:

Thank you for your explanation

No, you won't need to remove original parts such as DAB antenna,

Thank you

Kind Regards.

Naviplus
Sales Administration
Car Navi Pty Ltd (Melbourne)
Unit 16, 102 Henkel Street, Brunswick VIC 3056
p: 03 9995 6580 e: sales@naviplus.com.au w: www.naviplus.com.au
Alter email : admin@naviplus.com.au

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 10:12 AM, Xxxxxxxx <xxxxxxxx@gmail.com> wrote:
In the United States there is a thing called Satellite Radio which has a separate tuner which is bolted onto the back of the PCM unit. In Europe there is a thing called a DAB tuner which uses the same interface. I am wondering if this Satellite Radio module needs to be removed for the installation of the CarPlay module.
Also I found another vendor - different to Naviplus which seems to have a better kit which addresses the sat radio issue and has a better microphone that can be hidden (which is very important)

https://www.nmautomotive.co.uk/carplay-androidauto

Last edited by stealthpilot; 03-06-2018 at 03:00 AM.
Old 02-03-2018, 05:26 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
I did ask the vendor. Here was the back and forth:
That cracked me up. In a previous post you implied that an Australian wouldn’t know what Satellite Radio was. I thought you were joking. You’re actually serious, and explained it to him - “a thing called Satellite radio”. So these guys design a system to put Apple Car Play in a 911, then you ‘Mericansplaine’ satellite radio to them ?

Aside from that - I hope you get it working
RobertM525 (09-10-2023)

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit for 991.1