Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M4 to 991.2 Base Carrera?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 03:54 PM
oceancarrera
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't see old BMW's or most German cars running high mileage or being restored. I used to try to find old low mileage Mercedes two door cars especially V12's but they cost to much to run when they have problems. Only Porsche's seem to be worth dropping/lifting a newer motor in.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:00 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by oceancarrera
You don't see old BMW's or most German cars running high mileage or being restored. I used to try to find old low mileage Mercedes two door cars especially V12's but they cost to much to run when they have problems. Only Porsche's seem to be worth dropping/lifting a newer motor in.
I'd love me an old Gullwing, E190 (cosworth), or an OLD S roadster with the headlights on top of each other. Those are being restored or anything pre war.

For BMW - E30's are finally there for the worth on restoring, clownshoes are getting pretty crazy and the Sharks and 2002ti are.

But - to your point, even Porsche 914's are starting to be valuable. I don't know if a 944 or boxster will ever reach restorable status though.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:01 PM
oceancarrera
Instructor

I have an Audi R8 that I love. It reminds me of a C4S. But I've had 911's in the past. It's in your blood. I got my brother in one that knows little about cars. I got him to get a Boxster years ago. Now that'all he wants is Porsches's.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:02 PM
R_Rated
Banned

I have an Audi R8 that I love. It reminds me of a C4S. But I've had 911's in the past. It's in your blood. I got my brother in one that knows little about cars. I got him to get a Boxster years ago. Now that'all he wants is Porsches's.
Which R8? I've often started to let my eyes wander toward manual V8's....
Old 01-19-2018, 04:03 PM
oceancarrera
Instructor

^^^ that's true, 944's will never grow in value but I bet you people restore them to have fun with more than other old M3's and all.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:04 PM
oceancarrera
Instructor

2012 V10 R8 silver with silver blades.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:06 PM
R_Rated
Banned

^^^ that's true, 944's will never grow in value but I bet you people restore them to have fun with more than other old M3's and all.
If by restore you mean put a cage, coil-overs and race numbers on them then yes. It's almost a disposable Porsche that's essentially race ready and in the top 10 of cars to learn to race in. I dare you to find something better for the price!
Old 01-19-2018, 04:11 PM
oceancarrera
Instructor

Old 01-19-2018, 04:13 PM
R_Rated
Banned

what a great stable. The thread has beaten the horse to death so.... how do you like the R8 compared to the 911?
Old 01-19-2018, 04:15 PM
oceancarrera
Instructor

944's are galvanized I believe. I had one back when. People get them as starters or low cost good handing cars
Old 01-19-2018, 04:21 PM
oceancarrera
Instructor

The Audi has a different type of entry/exit feeling (curves). The sound is the best! It red lines at 8700 rpms...not as cool as that Lexus but good enough. The tires on it suck. When I bought it I was like a 16 year old without a clue.... I'm putting on Pilot's in the Spring. The TM is NOT close to the PDK. I got the older semi-manual so you learn to make it quick with skill/fun
Old 01-19-2018, 05:26 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Great alternate viewpoint, well expressed (in the passage's entirety). I remember a tire test with an emergency lane change, which had you run down a lane quickly (50~mph) and at the last second one of three red lights would go green and you had to swerve into that lane without hitting any cones. You could do it in three cars. One was forgettable, a Lexus GS or something. The next was a Boxster, and it was composed and brilliant. It did everything right, and rewarded a rational approach. But the third car was a BMW Z3 M Roadster, and it was not only the best car for the exercise but by FAR the most fun—pivoting quickly and requiring you to grab it by the scruff of its neck.
I'm still upset I don't fit into the original Z3 M coupe with a helmet. Anyone who thinks Germans don't have a sense of humor needs to drive that car. To me those occasional "specials" that escape Munich when no one is looking combine a lot of what I love about some of the old Porsches (including tricky at the limit handling that's involving at even moderate speeds) with modern safety and convenience. But the M4's definately not one of those cars- far too sensible.
Originally Posted by stout
Years later, a 1M test car showed me hints of the same fun factor...though a test where we bought a "certain" 1M along with a bunch of 911s had no one wanting to drive the BMW. It felt like a school bus in that company!
It is a wollowy school bus in comparison. But keep in mind: A) Tires, obviously. B) Traction control on (BMW's traction control is terrible, and you're not really driving it when it's on). C) Most importantly, roads. Those were great Porsche roads. For the 1M you're looking for Ken Block video roads. Take it there and see which keys go running off first.

The holey grail in my mind are cars that can truly excel in both environments. Because that's bloody difficult.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:32 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

The Audi has a different type of entry/exit feeling (curves).
Not as nimble on turn-in as I'd expected, especially for a mid-engine car (at least the earlier version). In Porsche terms think more 928 vs Boxster. $.02
Old 01-19-2018, 06:15 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

^^^ My 650ix MSport does that too!! It's boomy on big bumps if I leave it in comfort mode. I thought there was something wrong with it!
Seems to me the BMW product line has dropped off with respect to enthusiasts. The change was evident to me when I dropped off my 535i (E60) for service and they loaned me the new F10. Uninspired and cheapened. I suspect this has happened across the product line. Pity- I've owned 3 5-series BMWs, loved them all, but nothing after the E60. Truthfully, Lexus would be better than any BMW, why not get boring and reliable?
Old 01-19-2018, 06:21 PM
LnC993
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 77 Posts

I don't know which one to get. They're all too good! The one thing I know is speed never gets old. Even a sloppy 70's muscle car with too much HP will still light up your senses. so I'm good no matter what I get. The 650ix is and was a car for daily driving with 4WD in the winter months here in the Northeast USA. But if I can get over driving a Porsche 911 in the snow, that would be the pinnacle experience I believe.
Maybe this old flowchart might help.

Quick Reply: M4 to 991.2 Base Carrera?