Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Love my N/A flat six. Hate the MF steering wheel that comes with it....

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 12:47 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,274 Likes on 596 Posts

Hear you on the .1 MF wheel, which I never care for. Oddly, however, I like the simple version (pic below) that came in some GT3s better than the chromey "Sport" steering wheel (which looks a bit "Mustang" to me).

Old 01-17-2018, 08:18 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

I love the MF steering in my GTS.
The interchangeable buttons work great, along with the transmission lever.
Push up, pull back.

Yeah I'm in the minority...
Old 01-17-2018, 08:50 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
want to thicken it up? buy a steering wheel cover

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01CFZ5P..._t4_B01GLMEK60
Originally Posted by R_Rated
Lol. I figured these were coming.

Originally Posted by phow
The .1 MF wheel came with my car as well. The SD wheel was the one I originally wanted but the rest of the car's spec was perfect and I knew this could easily be changed so I didn't worry about it too much.

I don't like to write something off before giving it a chance so I gave the .1 MF wheel a 30-60 day go before switching it out... I couldn't get used to the shift buttons (probable because my other cars have paddles) and I didn't use the radio or MF buttons. The .1 MF wheel looks incredibly cheap compared to the .1 SD wheel and I prefer the no button look.

So I went with a .1 SD wheel from Suncoast wrapped in alcantara. The .1 SD alcantara definitely feels thicker compared to the leather on the .1 MF. Suncoast sent me everything I needed and the only inconvenience was finding time to have it installed at the local dealer (which took maybe 1-2 hours).

Switching to the .1 SD wheel is the single best change I have made to my 911.
Man, that is tempting. What was total cost?? Paddles and the switch stalk work perfectly?

Originally Posted by STG
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9352...1-c2s-pdk.html

Some good discussion here. There are companies that will take a wheel and reupholster it with a thicker diameter too.
Nice. Your description of how the .1 wheels plastics, buttons and fit/finish feel more high quality than the new wheel proves I’m not crazy. The one thing I like about this wheel more than my Macan’s is that it feels a bit more refined. The new wheel swap would probably be more than I want to pay, with the airbag and all, but looks great.

Originally Posted by 911-TOUR
^^^ This. I've used http://www.dallassteeringwheel.com in the past on other cars (BMW/Acura) and have been *very* satisfied with their work. Better quality than OEM IMO.
Awesome! Looking for this as well. Any idea on cost for a Porsche wheel?

Originally Posted by stout
Hear you on the .1 MF wheel, which I never care for. Oddly, however, I like the simple version (pic below) that came in some GT3s better than the chromey "Sport" steering wheel (which looks a bit "Mustang" to me).

Yeah, I definitely like that it’s all black. That’s basically the one thing I like about it, haha. I wasn’t fond of all the silver and chrome on my “old.. new” Macan one.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:12 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
I love the MF steering in my GTS.
The interchangeable buttons work great, along with the transmission lever.
Push up, pull back.

Yeah I'm in the minority...
I'm part of the minority because I really like the look of the .1 MF steering wheel and find it very functional. The MF wheel when finished in carbon fiber or wood to match the car's trim is very attractive. I had the SD wheel on a 997.2 and didn't like all the chrome. I am trying to remove all the chrome from the interior as possible.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:42 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

That did not come in any 991.1 GT3's....
Old 01-17-2018, 10:03 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

Dallas Custom Steering Wheel recovering was ~$480 if I recall correctly. This was back in 2011ish timeframe.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:59 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by R_Rated
That did not come in any 991.1 GT3's....
Correct. I think they came in some 987/997s, but now I am wondering if those were non-GT3s. In any event, I can't believe I am going to say this—because I hardly LOVE it—but it's probably my favorite Porsche airbag wheel for the 987/997/981/991 until the current wheel.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:18 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Sorry to disagree with you here Pete, but the wheel above is the saddest of them all. When I started to look for 911.1s, I'd run from the cars with the basic wheel, just strikes me as sad. Coincidently, I've got the MF wheel with walnut in our Cayenne Diesel. Kind of like "lipstick on a pig", but tolerable. I love the new style wheels in the .2 and the Cayennes.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:44 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
Sorry to disagree with you here Pete, but the wheel above is the saddest of them all. When I started to look for 911.1s, I'd run from the cars with the basic wheel, just strikes me as sad. Coincidently, I've got the MF wheel with walnut in our Cayenne Diesel. Kind of like "lipstick on a pig", but tolerable. I love the new style wheels in the .2 and the Cayennes.
No problem, PJ. Horses for courses. Let me be clear: I didn't like this wheel the first time I saw it. But I liked the one that replaced it even less. Too "Mustangy" to these eyes. A good idea...executed poorly imho.

The current wheel in the .2 is MILES ahead of any of these. But I guess I'd reluctantly give this wheel above and the 986/996 three-spoke wheel a tie for second place. The early 987/991 wheels didn't do it for me, and none of the 964/993/986 four-spoke airbags worked for me. When one stops and thinks about it, the airbag wheels in Porsches have had few bright spots...
Old 01-18-2018, 12:19 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by porscherex
I'm part of the minority because I really like the look of the .1 MF steering wheel and find it very functional. The MF wheel when finished in carbon fiber or wood to match the car's trim is very attractive. I had the SD wheel on a 997.2 and didn't like all the chrome. I am trying to remove all the chrome from the interior as possible.
Mine is carbon fiber and I dig it.
Can't in all honesty say the same about the .2 especially that darn pimple looking button. Ready to burst for several seconds when pressed. I know, terrible analogy...

K-A just likes to whine, we both know we'd settle for the flowery patterns in a second, so long those come with a roaring NA engine
Old 01-18-2018, 12:37 AM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by oolor13
Sport design steering wheel was on my list of "must haves" when shopping for my car.
Same here. I'm a fan of polished aluminum.

There's one in every crowd.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:40 AM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

No problem, PJ. Horses for courses. Let me be clear: I didn't like this wheel the first time I saw it. But I liked the one that replaced it even less. Too "Mustangy" to these eyes. A good idea...executed poorly imho.
Again?
Old 01-18-2018, 01:02 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarreraFahrer
Again?
Sorry!
Old 01-18-2018, 01:12 AM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

If you own a real Ruf all is forgiven.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:39 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarreraFahrer
If you own a real Ruf all is forgiven.
Put 2,500 glorious miles on that one...but I'm afraid it belongs to the one man it should belong to: Alois Ruf.

That's because it's CTR001—the Yellow Bird.

Quick Reply: Love my N/A flat six. Hate the MF steering wheel that comes with it....