Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Love my N/A flat six. Hate the MF steering wheel that comes with it....

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 09:49 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Love my N/A flat six. Hate the MF steering wheel that comes with it....

Let’s see how long I can ramble about my steering wheel....
This is very unfortunate, as my first foray into Porsche was the Macan when it just came out. So I had the new style Porsche wheel before most. As nice as it is, there was always “something” about it that didn’t click with me. The plastic silver spokes had horrible glare at sunset hours, it looked a bit too.... “of a mature age” with the silver and chrome ring around the Porsche emblem (the new sport steering wheel option with the matte black and steel spoke look on the other hand is perfection).

So when I got my 991.1, the MF steering wheel felt kind of fresh to me (funny how that happens), I even kind of prefer the radio-button pushes/feedback. I EVEN don’t mind the shifting buttons (don’t miss paddles too much)! I also like that it’s all black.

Yet all of a sudden, I’m feeling like the wheel is akin to a garbage plastic cup in a pristine garden. It feels so..... blech. The design of it I can get around, but the RIM feels so damn thin. Am I feeling correctly that said rim is thinner than the new standard steering wheel (which isn’t all that thick, but I remember feeling a bit more of it) rim? How about the .1 SportDesign wheel? Is the rim on that any thicker?

Anyone else feel bothered by this element in an otherwise magic machine? Or any way you can make me feel warm and fuzzy via redeeming qualities about it?

Finally, any recommendations for the cheapest option to correct it? Be it a quality thicker rim, etc. Steering wheels swap seems too much for such a thing to me, and ideally I wouldn’t want to even move the airbag. I guess a steering wheel being your worst favorite part of a car is a good thing.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:52 AM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 178 Posts

Porsches have thin steering wheels. I dislike this as well.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:54 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the MF steering wheel. I don't love the look(but I don't hate it either) but I do love the functionality.I am constantly changing the radio station so I use it non-stop. Also, the heated steering wheel was a must have.Would order it again.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:54 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

I think I know which wheel you're talking about and if I'm right, I can't stand those shift buttons. That alone would have me replacing the wheel. Unfortunately I think the wheel replacement is a pricey thing to do. It's easy enough - just see what Suncoast offers and pick the one you like. Have your dealer do the swap. For me, the best wheel is the GT Sport. Has the paddles and the smaller diameter.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:02 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
Porsches have thin steering wheels. I dislike this as well.
Indeed. I loved my BMW M wheel. Soft nappa and massive thick. Too bad the rest of the car was a bore, lol.

Originally Posted by Bacura
I have the MF steering wheel. I don't love the look(but I don't hate it either) but I do love the functionality.I am constantly changing the radio station so I use it non-stop. Also, the heated steering wheel was a must have.Would order it again.
True. FUNCTIONALLY, it’s probably the best wheel I’ve used. I even have gotten slight use out of the heated aspect. It’s just that rim.... grrrr.

Originally Posted by tstafford
I think I know which wheel you're talking about and if I'm right, I can't stand those shift buttons. That alone would have me replacing the wheel. Unfortunately I think the wheel replacement is a pricey thing to do. It's easy enough - just see what Suncoast offers and pick the one you like. Have your dealer do the swap. For me, the best wheel is the GT Sport. Has the paddles and the smaller diameter.
What’s funny is that I don’t even hate the buttons (and use them often). Maybe (likely) it’s the feedback of how loud and barking my car sounds when pressing them, but it has a more visceral feel than I expected. Of course, I’d prefer paddles anyday, given the choice. My top beefs with it are: Rim and then maybe design. But it’s mostly the grip. I also miss how my Macan (now standard new 911 as well) wheel is concave (good for enthusiastic driving).
Old 01-17-2018, 10:20 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

want to thicken it up? buy a steering wheel cover

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01CFZ5P..._t4_B01GLMEK60
Old 01-17-2018, 10:20 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I have the .1 Sport Design wheel. love the feel. The "aluminum" could be nicer and I wish the airbag was smaller - which does date it but it's almost a 10 year old design. Eventually, I'll replace all the silver bits with carbon fiber. The feel is great. I also prefer for this car that there are no buttons and it's just there to drive and shift. If this was my daily I'd likely have different sentiments. I do wish it had the heat function but don't drive it in the cold so don't care enough to do anything about it.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:23 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01CFZ5P..._t4_B01GLMEK60
at least have fun with it!
Amazon Amazon
The following users liked this post:
LawguyNA (12-02-2019)
Old 01-17-2018, 10:52 AM
oolor13
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Sport design steering wheel was on my list of "must haves" when shopping for my car.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:25 AM
phow
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

The .1 MF wheel came with my car as well. The SD wheel was the one I originally wanted but the rest of the car's spec was perfect and I knew this could easily be changed so I didn't worry about it too much.

I don't like to write something off before giving it a chance so I gave the .1 MF wheel a 30-60 day go before switching it out... I couldn't get used to the shift buttons (probable because my other cars have paddles) and I didn't use the radio or MF buttons. The .1 MF wheel looks incredibly cheap compared to the .1 SD wheel and I prefer the no button look.

So I went with a .1 SD wheel from Suncoast wrapped in alcantara. The .1 SD alcantara definitely feels thicker compared to the leather on the .1 MF. Suncoast sent me everything I needed and the only inconvenience was finding time to have it installed at the local dealer (which took maybe 1-2 hours).

Switching to the .1 SD wheel is the single best change I have made to my 911.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:31 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

New wheels are thicker and better. Sport Design is best of the older ones. MF is meh. Just do a swap.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:36 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9352...1-c2s-pdk.html

Some good discussion here. There are companies that will take a wheel and reupholster it with a thicker diameter too.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:42 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

^^^ This. I've used http://www.dallassteeringwheel.com in the past on other cars (BMW/Acura) and have been *very* satisfied with their work. Better quality than OEM IMO.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:19 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
You want thick? Try this, and you won't need steering wheel heating, either:
https://smile.amazon.com/Ogrmar-Stee...ng+wheel+cover

Old 01-17-2018, 12:20 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

It cost me $3600 for a custom Alcantara wrapped .2 wheel, new airbag and GPS adapter with installation. It's the best $ I've ever spent on a Porsche. That .1 MF wheel is the biggest POS ever designed by Porsche IMHO. It brings back bad memories of the tiptronic wheel in the 996 I owned. Give me a .2 rear bumper and tail lights and I'd be in heaven.

Quick Reply: Love my N/A flat six. Hate the MF steering wheel that comes with it....