Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Love my N/A flat six. Hate the MF steering wheel that comes with it....

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 03:43 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by porscherex
I'm part of the minority because I really like the look of the .1 MF steering wheel and find it very functional. The MF wheel when finished in carbon fiber or wood to match the car's trim is very attractive. I had the SD wheel on a 997.2 and didn't like all the chrome. I am trying to remove all the chrome from the interior as possible.
Do you remember the SD wheel feeling like it had a thicker rim than your MF wheel?

Originally Posted by 911-TOUR
Dallas Custom Steering Wheel recovering was ~$480 if I recall correctly. This was back in 2011ish timeframe.
Wow, very doable. Unfortunately I don't live in Dallas so don't know how I could do it conveniently. But I'm sure there must be an upholsterer who specializes in this near me.

Originally Posted by Bemo
Mine is carbon fiber and I dig it.
Can't in all honesty say the same about the .2 especially that darn pimple looking button. Ready to burst for several seconds when pressed. I know, terrible analogy...

K-A just likes to whine, we both know we'd settle for the flowery patterns in a second, so long those come with a roaring NA engine
Lol. I mean.... if this is my biggest nitpick with the car, I must say, blissful flowery patterns are indeed the image of my ownership experience thus far.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:15 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Do you remember the SD wheel feeling like it had a thicker rim than your MF wheel?

Comparing my SD to a friend's MF - the SD also has better/real leather in addition to being a little thicker.

KA - lets talk privately about your self esteem. It doesn't matter how thick the rim is or how big it is(the newer ones are smaller) but it is all in how it is used that produces the organic feel.... to driving.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:02 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Wow, very doable. Unfortunately I don't live in Dallas so don't know how I could do it conveniently. But I'm sure there must be an upholsterer who specializes in this near me.
I just removed the wheel and shipped it to them. Was done in about 10 days.

sean
Old 01-18-2018, 04:30 PM
Rambler_13
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Hear you on the .1 MF wheel, which I never care for. Oddly, however, I like the simple version (pic below) that came in some GT3s better than the chromey "Sport" steering wheel (which looks a bit "Mustang" to me).

This is the one I have in my Turbo which I've really grown to like for its subtlety and simplicity. The spokes also have a nice sturdy, quality feel to them which is hard to tell from the pics which make them look plastic-y. However, the same wheel with the silver colored spokes I do not like nearly as much. The all black better hides some of the droopy "sadness' of the spoke design.

I quickly got tired of the sport design wheel on my 2 previous 991.1s and really hated the clear plastic inserts.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:29 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Comparing my SD to a friend's MF - the SD also has better/real leather in addition to being a little thicker.

KA - lets talk privately about your self esteem. It doesn't matter how thick the rim is or how big it is(the newer ones are smaller) but it is all in how it is used that produces the organic feel.... to driving.

The leather is better/different on the SD too?!

Yeah, I’m gonna need some counseling.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:31 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A

The leather is better/different on the SD too?!

Yeah, I’m gonna need some counseling.
There are sooooo many options here depending on how the car was specced.... The SD is a soft, nice Napa Leather. Some of the MF stearing wheels for the #1 cars are a cheap grained leather and some are fake leather like the standard interior.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:07 PM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rambler_13
...and really hated the clear plastic inserts.
^^THIS

Î was looking for an SD optioned car and got a MF instead. Grew to like it and not going to change for the .1 SD, If I did, it would be for the .2 MF, but leaning towards not...
Old 01-19-2018, 09:22 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by 911seeker
^^THIS

Î was looking for an SD optioned car and got a MF instead. Grew to like it and not going to change for the .1 SD, If I did, it would be for the .2 MF, but leaning towards not...
Honestly, if I get the wheel wrapped in a thicker leather, I think actually it'll turn out to be one of the better wheels. All black (big benefit) and without those shiny plastic "fake chrome" pieces, a nicer MF button feel and even plastics than the newer wheels (as I had in my Macan), etc. Or maybe I can get alcantara on the rim, which would be unique. It's the grip that's a downer. But I have big hands.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:18 PM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Honestly, if I get the wheel wrapped in a thicker leather, I think actually it'll turn out to be one of the better wheels. All black (big benefit) and without those shiny plastic "fake chrome" pieces, a nicer MF button feel and even plastics than the newer wheels (as I had in my Macan), etc. Or maybe I can get alcantara on the rim, which would be unique. It's the grip that's a downer. But I have big hands.
Which wheel has shiny "fake chrome" pieces on it? Isn't the SD wheel solid polished aluminum?
Old 01-19-2018, 11:07 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by CarreraFahrer
Which wheel has shiny "fake chrome" pieces on it? Isn't the SD wheel solid polished aluminum?
Is it real aluminum? Always thought it was plastic (maybe it's the plastic "screen inserts" that threw me). The new 991 steering wheel (the one I had on my Macan) is a silver plastic meant to look like aluminum.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:19 AM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

When I say solid I mean it's aluminum metal not plated plastic. It holds the cold like it's metal anyway. If it's not I'm selling my car! I do like the new wheel in the GT3.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:35 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,540 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
No problem, PJ. Horses for courses. Let me be clear: I didn't like this wheel the first time I saw it. But I liked the one that replaced it even less. Too "Mustangy" to these eyes. A good idea...executed poorly imho.

The current wheel in the .2 is MILES ahead of any of these. But I guess I'd reluctantly give this wheel above and the 986/996 three-spoke wheel a tie for second place. The early 987/991 wheels didn't do it for me, and none of the 964/993/986 four-spoke airbags worked for me. When one stops and thinks about it, the airbag wheels in Porsches have had few bright spots...
i have to agree with PJ. I have it on my Cayenne and when I was shopping for my 991, Sport Design wheel was a must have. Hate the base / MF wheel form. Those swoopy spokes kill it for me.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:58 PM
Babakazoo
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My New steering wheel - found a guy in Germany off Ebay | $600.00

Ebay guy

He will build anyway you want. My wheel is nappa leather & alcantara. My stock wheel was soo thin, this is thick, but not mushy. It took a month to build/get here. I just put it on and it has changed the entire feel of my CSC..... it feels tight and like a GTS just driven at the LA Porsche Experience. The steering wheel is built solid, beautiful. The stiching is red and done well.

#customsteeringwheel
#nappaleatheralcantarasteeringwheel
#911steeringwheel
#porschesteeringwheel
#leathersteeringwheel #leatherandalcantarasteeringwheel

Last edited by Babakazoo; 01-24-2018 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 05:22 PM
phow
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Man, that is tempting. What was total cost?? Paddles and the switch stalk work perfectly?
Sorry I missed this. Everything works perfectly. Would never know this wasn't the wheel installed at the factory.

Honestly, I don't remember exact pricing but looking at Suncoast's site, the wheel and all needed parts is 1549.00, I think dealer install and programming was around 600.00? Total was a was just a bit over 2k when said and done. I know going with the .1 SD is cheaper than doing a .2 swap since you don't need a new airbag.

I will say that I have definitely spent 2k on worse things lol... Best mod to my 991.1S to date.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:34 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Babakazoo
Ebay guy

He will build anyway you want. My wheel is nappa leather & alcantara. My stock wheel was soo thin, this is thick, but not mushy. It took a month to build/get here. I just put it on and it has changed the entire feel of my CSC..... it feels tight and like a GTS just driven at the LA Porsche Experience. The steering wheel is built solid, beautiful. The stiching is red and done well.

#customsteeringwheel
#nappaleatheralcantarasteeringwheel
#911steeringwheel
#porschesteeringwheel
#leathersteeringwheel #leatherandalcantarasteeringwheel

Love that! Is it an OEM wheel that he thickens the rim on? Or is the basis of said wheel some kind of aftermarket manufacture?

Originally Posted by phow
Sorry I missed this. Everything works perfectly. Would never know this wasn't the wheel installed at the factory.

Honestly, I don't remember exact pricing but looking at Suncoast's site, the wheel and all needed parts is 1549.00, I think dealer install and programming was around 600.00? Total was a was just a bit over 2k when said and done. I know going with the .1 SD is cheaper than doing a .2 swap since you don't need a new airbag.

I will say that I have definitely spent 2k on worse things lol... Best mod to my 991.1S to date.
Thanks man! I hear ya. For all the agonizing we do over these things, I have investments that will move that amount in minutes, giving far less a pleasurable experience. Argh. Decisions, decisions.

Quick Reply: Love my N/A flat six. Hate the MF steering wheel that comes with it....