Sponsored by:

Opinions on Black vs Jet Black

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 10:46 PM
ducstar
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Opinions on Black vs Jet Black

Anyone here have strong opinions on Black or Jet Black paint?

Caring for for both will be a challenge. Is one more durable over the other?

thoughts?

thanks.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:05 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

I have never been a fan of any metallic black (just me). Neither is more durable over the other. Non-metallic colors are always easier to touch up and easier to match if a body panel needs to be repainted.

Just my .02, good luck with whatever you go with.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:26 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

One is free. That’s what I ordered.

Easier to touch up a non-metallic Black, but metallic black hides swirls a bit better.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:14 AM
OC 991
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ducstar
Anyone here have strong opinions on Black or Jet Black paint?

Caring for for both will be a challenge. Is one more durable over the other?

thoughts?

thanks.

Black is not a colour... It's job!!!!!

That said most of the cars are I've owned are black.
So as someone whom has had decades of experience with self-imposed suffering....
GET METALLIC BLACK!!!!

Seriously, I've had all kinds of Porsche black, as much as the non metallic black looks good when it's clean... it stays clean for like 30 minutes!
Also Porsche clear coat is very, very soft so it shows swirl marks like crazy.
Not to mention metallic black does give an extra dimension.
Right now I've got both Porsche Basalt and Jet black in my garage.
The Jet Black is actually a very nice color, it has more of a blue-ish tinted sparkle in it, really nice and "deep" (basalt is gold-ish).
Do yourself a favor...g et the Jet Black!!!
Old 01-16-2018, 01:33 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 603 Likes on 247 Posts

I currently own one of each . (Macan GTS is Jet Black and 911 Turbo is Black ) . The metallic is easier to keep clean and doesnt show the swirls as easily . However , when clean the regular black is beautiful . If you park the car outside it's a no brainer . If you live in a dry or dusty area also jet black.
In the past I did not like the former "Basalt Black" . It looked gray and always looked dirty to me . The current metallic is beautiful though .
Old 01-16-2018, 01:42 AM
usccharles
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 82 Posts

i went with metallic black after considering jet black for a long time. the consensus seems that metallic hides swirls alot better than jet black and hence easier to manage. and considering i park my car in an apartment garage with limited access to full car wash facilities (i use express wash spray and microfiber towels most days to wash and a full car wash maybe once a month), i went with metallic black and am very happy with my choice.

with that said i've also heard that side by side jet black looks much better over metallic. so its really up to your own personal preference and your access to easy car cleaning.

one thing to note, i also did full PPF to my car. it give me more peace of mind in terms of cleaning, but my car looks almost dark blue many times rather than completely black, i think due to the PPF. not complaining though
Old 01-16-2018, 02:00 AM
OC 991
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by usccharles
i went with metallic black after considering jet black for a long time. the consensus seems that metallic hides swirls alot better than jet black and hence easier to manage. and considering i park my car in an apartment garage with limited access to full car wash facilities (i use express wash spray and microfiber towels most days to wash and a full car wash maybe once a month), i went with metallic black and am very happy with my choice.

with that said i've also heard that side by side jet black looks much better over metallic. so its really up to your own personal preference and your access to easy car cleaning.

one thing to note, i also did full PPF to my car. it give me more peace of mind in terms of cleaning, but my car looks almost dark blue many times rather than completely black, i think due to the PPF. not complaining though
I concur with everything you said.
Just a heads up though, the current metallic black is actually Jet Black, the non metallic is just "Black".
Cheers!

Last edited by OC 991; 01-17-2018 at 02:23 AM. Reason: meant to say metallic in stead of black...
Old 01-16-2018, 09:42 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

I've had one of each (well, Basalt Black, not Jet Black, but close!)

Black looked the best when it was 100 percent clean.
Metallic black looked better than black, when both were 90 percent clean or worse

Both are great colors and look fantastic. I had more complements on my Basalt Black than on Black, though...people noticed the metal flakes and went out of their way to comment on how much they loved the color.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:08 AM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,190 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by yrralis1
I currently own one of each . (Macan GTS is Jet Black and 911 Turbo is Black ) . The metallic is easier to keep clean and doesnt show the swirls as easily . However , when clean the regular black is beautiful . If you park the car outside it's a no brainer . If you live in a dry or dusty area also jet black.
In the past I did not like the former "Basalt Black" . It looked gray and always looked dirty to me . The current metallic is beautiful though .
Agreed on regular black looking the best when clean.

Avoiding swirl marks can become a deep seeded obsession so be careful if you go down that route...
Old 01-16-2018, 11:53 AM
spiderv6
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by tse
Agreed on regular black looking the best when clean.

Avoiding swirl marks can become a deep seeded obsession so be careful if you go down that route...
Agree with that. A few hours on Youtube and you can really understand what behaviors contribute to swirls and how you can adapt to minimize them. It's not that hard, just hold back on some of your obsessive routines (dust removal with a dry cloth in my case which causes little scratches, which brings out some other product which causes swirls......la la la!).

Black is a fabulous color. It takes different behavior to keep it pristine, rather than more work which many will claim.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:59 AM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 178 Posts

Once you go non-metallic you may never go back. If you value a crisp, deep, glossy, mirror-like finish, non-metallic might be the way to go.
Attached Images   
The following 2 users liked this post by bluehorseshoe:
Metalblond (03-06-2020), TomTarzian (01-11-2023)
Old 01-16-2018, 01:08 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Originally Posted by spiderv6
Agree with that. A few hours on Youtube and you can really understand what behaviors contribute to swirls and how you can adapt to minimize them. It's not that hard, just hold back on some of your obsessive routines (dust removal with a dry cloth in my case which causes little scratches, which brings out some other product which causes swirls......la la la!).

Black is a fabulous color. It takes different behavior to keep it pristine, rather than more work which many will claim.
And don't get me going on the art of removing bird crap...
Old 01-16-2018, 01:09 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
Once you go non-metallic you may never go back. If you value a crisp, deep, glossy, mirror-like finish, non-metallic might be the way to go.
Now that's what I'm talkin' about...
Old 01-16-2018, 01:12 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts

Its hilarious how many of us complain about keeping black clean yet keep buying them.......... my 911 is GR but truck is Mythos Black....like my last few cars. Really not sure that either metallic or black is easier. Metallic looks amazing in the sun when black shows its swirls. Both gorgeous when clean.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:26 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 178 Posts

With amazing coatings on the market, Black is certainly easier to maintain. I go weeks between washes and marvel at how shiny the car remains. Even through rain.

Also, I no longer touch my car to wash. Rinse, foam, rinse and blow dry. This is everything in maintaining nice paint. Never perfect but nice.

Quick Reply: Opinions on Black vs Jet Black