Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 991.2 C2 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 02:03 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Have you driven one yet? Because that is what its all about. And while the 911 is leagues beyond BMW it does have the engine behind the rear axle and not over the front axle so it will feel a lot different. You might want to experience that some time before delivery! Some guys have not done that and been surprised and thought the car had bad tires, or bad aero, or whatever, when really it is just a different feeling not having the mass in front.

Other than that congrats, you got a great car for the trips you have planned!
Old 01-09-2018, 02:35 PM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

Not really. I have not drive any 911 before but as soon as I will find the right car (used or new) I will arrange for sure a test drive. It's not easy to find test drive 911 in my country.

Based on the experience I got from the M2 I feel that 911 will be even better. Honestly speaking I failed to get engaged with M2 that I why I am looking to move to a legendary car.
In case I failed to be in love also with 911 I might give up sport cars although I have a feeling that as soon as I will become a 911 owner this relationship will last for many years.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:52 AM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Updates from the hunting....

1. Still wait Porsche AG to give next week their final decision for a brand new 991.2 GTS Coupe allocation slot. Most probably the feedback will be possitive therefore I am trying to agree on a 12-15% discount from MSRP with my dealer and go for a basic option configuration as the GTS only with standard options covers my needs. I have read extensively that basic configuration 911s are the best ones who keep their value as options never paid in the second market. Taking into account the GTS model seems with a discount more than 10% from MSRP looks ideal for first 911 ownership.

2. Already located two Porsche approved cars in Germany 4 months old the first one and 2 months old the second one. Both are demo cars with good options loaded (GTS Package, good interior etc). The price to be delivered to me seems the be 25% lower than MSRP with around 6.000 miles on trip. As cars are Porsche approved they come with 18 months warranty.

I am trying to decide which is the best option for me based on the fact that Porsche depreciates around 17% the first year and another 11-12% second year. During 3rd year value remains almost stable (light depressiation) depends on miles and car condition.

Finally as the new order needs at least 6 months to be delivered I am considering to wait in order 992 to be announced. I am expecting after 992 announcement 991.2 to drop at least 10% extra although I am not sure if GTS model will drop also. For sure Carrera and Carrera S will drop but not clear view about GTS.
Thepoint here is that 911 is a dream car and even if I can save 5-10% extra but postpone the ownership and driving pleasure dreams become nightmares...

To be continued...
Old 01-14-2018, 09:17 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by nilaz

1. Still wait Porsche AG to give next week their final decision for a brand new 991.2 GTS Coupe allocation slot. Most probably the feedback will be possitive therefore I am trying to agree on a 12-15% discount from MSRP with my dealer and go for a basic option configuration as the GTS only with standard options covers my needs. I have read extensively that basic configuration 911s are the best ones who keep their value as options never paid in the second market. Taking into account the GTS model seems with a discount more than 10% from MSRP looks ideal for first 911 ownership.

2. Already located two Porsche approved cars in Germany 4 months old the first one and 2 months old the second one. Both are demo cars with good options loaded (GTS Package, good interior etc). The price to be delivered to me seems the be 25% lower than MSRP with around 6.000 miles on trip. As cars are Porsche approved they come with 18 months warranty.

I am trying to decide which is the best option for me based on the fact that Porsche depreciates around 17% the first year and another 11-12% second year. During 3rd year value remains almost stable (light depressiation) depends on miles and car condition.

Finally as the new order needs at least 6 months to be delivered I am considering to wait in order 992 to be announced. I am expecting after 992 announcement 991.2 to drop at least 10% extra although I am not sure if GTS model will drop also. For sure Carrera and Carrera S will drop but not clear view about GTS.
Thepoint here is that 911 is a dream car and even if I can save 5-10% extra but postpone the ownership and driving pleasure dreams become nightmares...

To be continued...
Buy one of the used ones for sure. You'll pay less, take less depreciation, get a better optioned car, and you won't have to wait.

​​​The only reason to get a new car is to get exactly the options you want, but in your case you want to save money more than you want options, so the choice seems clear.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:47 PM
Maitre_Absolut
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by macanakey
I think the leather dash is worth the upcharge. It really looks much nicer to me than the standard, plastic dash. Plus, at that price point, I'd be disappointed to see a plastic dash.
On a stock GTS isn't the front portion of the dash leather? My Macan GTS came like that (w red deviated stitching) and it wasn't shown on the configurator.

1. Still wait Porsche AG to give next week their final decision for a brand new 991.2 GTS Coupe allocation slot. Most probably the feedback will be possitive therefore I am trying to agree on a 12-15% discount from MSRP with my dealer and go for a basic option configuration as the GTS only with standard options covers my needs.

To be continued...
15% off a brand new allocation with basic option ? Where are you located? Im assuming you have evidence that shows its possible? The % discount increases with options so thats equivalent to maybe 20% a nice build.

In Canada 140k base+ 40k options = about 4% off on an allocation...
Old 01-14-2018, 07:30 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Taxes based on CO2 emmisions and PDK is lower than 190mg CO2 which is the limit to pay extra taxes for high emmisions.
Any car higher than 190 CO2 needs to pay penalty. That is why I rejected to proceed with Turbo as the cost is much higher due to taxation.

Regarding RWS I have study a lot and honestly speaking I am not sure I will push the car to the limit therefore I need it. Currently my M2 which is also without RWS gives me superior handling and I am expecting the GTS to be much better. I will consider RWS in the last minute based on dealer final price of the car. Actually RWS is not so expensive.
Big mistake...get the rear wheel steering...it’s not only better in high speed turns but also just normal driving and in parking lots too.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:00 AM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

I received the call I was expecting from my dealer.

I have an allocation for June production for a GTS Coupe or alternatively a Carrera T....

My decision is to get his chance and proceed with a build for a long relationship car.

I know that by the time that delivery will take place most probably 992 will be already announced but no matter which car we buy eventually a new model will be available.

For both car options I am thinking to keep the configuration as low as possible in order to control the cost.

GT Silver Metallic, RAS, PDK and roof transport system.

I was thinking to configure bucket seats but I preferred RAS and keep the normal 4 way seats.
I do not plan to visit frequently track events.

I would appreciate if more experienced 911 owners give me an advice if I need to jump on the Carrera T or the GTS.

I know are two different cars but I can pay the Carrera T without big savings although for the GTS I have to save serious money.

Which is the model that is ideal to keep it for more than 10 years?
Old 01-26-2018, 11:26 AM
SBARacing
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

@nilaz, you'll here a lot of diff opinions on your topic, but at the end of the day, each individual may have a diff thought and option.
I went through the exact same dilemma (first time Porsche) original coming for the 2 wheels world and looking for a versatile 4 wheel that I can enjoy for years to come. I'm an ENG so logic and valid data is at least 90% of my decision making.
Read a lot, watched a lot and listen to many friends and race / ride colleagues and there was a ton of data.
Test drove within the 718 and the 991 every single car I was considering on the road and on the track.
And finally decided to go with the 991.2 GTS. Again, this was my pick but I'm sure people here will both confirm but also dispute that decision.
Once I made my decision, I started looking for a new allocation, as finding MT with the options I wanted was not available nation wide.
When going to my local dealer, I was told that the allocation I'm looking for may be late summer early spring of 18 and I went back home kind of bummed. Since giving up is not part of my DNA, I decided to make a list of all Porsche dealers within 500M from our home.
Called ever single one of them until I found an allocation with a Feb build (stated shopping in Dec). Getting significant discount wasn't much of and option, but heck, I got the car I wanted with a 90 day deliver so I can live with that.

My .02 for you, drive them and feel them. I felt a significant diff (even though some say it's minimal) on both performance and feel on both the track and road. Don't give up and step out a little from you local dealers if you can't find what you are looking for.
I know of a few Feb builds (2017 allocations) that are still left out there, so don't take their answers without confirming them around.

Good luck, and which ever one you end up getting, you be very happy with.

PS. Enjoy the shopping, it's a lot of fun
Old 01-26-2018, 12:20 PM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Thanks for your feedback. Unfortunately I do not have the option to drive a 991.2.
In the country I currently live is a small country with no test drive possibility.

My heart wants the GTS. I consider at my 40ties that I know exactly what I want.

If I get the GTS I will never challenge myself why I did not get a GT3. I need a Turbo car with low emissions as in the next decade I have to relocate to EU due to my work.

NA cars with high CO2 emissions are not future friendly in Europe. That is why I have concluded in the GTS model which is I consider the upper best in class car for my requirements.

The challenge I have between the GTS and the Carrera T is the price difference. GTS is 20K more expensive and I cannot say that Carrera T will not meet my driving requirements.

I currently drive an M2 which is best fun to drive car although I consider 911 in another league. I believe even Carrera T will be serious upgrade for a long term relationship.

My concern is that if I get the Carrera T after 2 years I might look the 992 GTS.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:37 PM
SBARacing
Rennlist Member

I apologize for automatically assuming you are in the US. My bad...
When we bough our home we had an option to choose a list cheaper option and save some but settle a little.
My good friend asked me, "would you ever look back and tinker with the thought of I wish I would have stretched and got what I was dreaming and wanting".
If the answer is YES and you can stretch the extra $, do it, that you'll never regret, the other way around and you'll always have an itch of, I should have or what if...

There is a thread of a GTS owner that wanted a GT3 but couldn't find an allocation. He got a GTS and once a GT3 allocation came about, he got it and is trading his GTS.
He had the exact same itch, we will always want what we originally were wishing and dreaming of.

Go with you your hurt but put the logic in to it from the sounds of it, it looks like GTS is your wish and T is a little of a compromise.

Good luck.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:22 PM
marinb
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 43 Posts

May I ask you if you have to keep the roof racks always or you can remove them and install based on your request?

I have spend in the last 5 years almost 30% of the GTS value on Road bikes and bike equipment.
This video does a good job showing how to install/remove the roof rack. Looks easy.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:56 PM
SKY57
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SBARacing
I apologize for automatically assuming you are in the US. My bad...
When we bough our home we had an option to choose a list cheaper option and save some but settle a little.
My good friend asked me, "would you ever look back and tinker with the thought of I wish I would have stretched and got what I was dreaming and wanting".
If the answer is YES and you can stretch the extra $, do it, that you'll never regret, the other way around and you'll always have an itch of, I should have or what if...

There is a thread of a GTS owner that wanted a GT3 but couldn't find an allocation. He got a GTS and once a GT3 allocation came about, he got it and is trading his GTS.
He had the exact same itch, we will always want what we originally were wishing and dreaming of.

Go with you your hurt but put the logic in to it from the sounds of it, it looks like GTS is your wish and T is a little of a compromise.

Good luck.
True.
You can either:
- Get the GTS and forget about Carrera T.
Or
- Get the Carrera T and thinking about the GTS all the time.
Look at this way:
How much it cost to get a GTS over a T? $20K
How much it would cost you if later you decide to trade-in the T for a GTS? $20K + depreciation.

Get what you want!
Old 01-26-2018, 06:09 PM
SBARacing
Rennlist Member

Very well said @SKY57
"You can either:
- Get the GTS and forget about Carrera T.
Or
- Get the Carrera T and thinking about the GTS all the time."
Old 01-27-2018, 09:33 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 759 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by arter
Takes less than 10 minutes to take off or add the roof racks to your car once setup the first time.
( and most of that time is finding out where you left them after taking them off).
Yikes !! No stuff goes on my roof.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:54 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 759 Likes on 330 Posts

Thanks for your feedback. Unfortunately I do not have the option to drive a 991.2.
In the country I currently live is a small country with no test drive possibility.

My heart wants the GTS. I consider at my 40ties that I know exactly what I want.

If I get the GTS I will never challenge myself why I did not get a GT3. I need a Turbo car with low emissions as in the next decade I have to relocate to EU due to my work.

NA cars with high CO2 emissions are not future friendly in Europe. That is why I have concluded in the GTS model which is I consider the upper best in class car for my requirements.

The challenge I have between the GTS and the Carrera T is the price difference. GTS is 20K more expensive and I cannot say that Carrera T will not meet my driving requirements.

I currently drive an M2 which is best fun to drive car although I consider 911 in another league. I believe even Carrera T will be serious upgrade for a long term relationship.

My concern is that if I get the Carrera T after 2 years I might look the 992 GTS.
Don't let a bunch of strangers decide this for you . Both cars are great but they are different . I have found that with the GTS choosing PDK mates well with the larger turbos . Some call this type of perfect boring and will say the Turbo S is very boring . Others will say its best and most comfortable 911 for daily use on the street . The T is more simplistic in philosophy and is also fun. Many choose a manual and Porsche even advertises it as a manual . Both the manual and PDK are outstanding in either car .
My personal view is the GTS is the better car but the T is the better value .. As for new Vs used .. again everyone will differ . The unknown driving history and former owner sneeze on the steering wheel gives a discount . New is new and used is used. With the interior .. it is where one spends the most time . It is also where passengers comment on the niceties. However pretty interiors never fetch a dime in resale . I've had pretty and i have had bare interiors .

Get either car and you wont be disappointed . The only thing I cringe at are those roof racks .

Quick Reply: 2018 991.2 C2 GTS