Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 Battery Replacement DIY

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2021, 03:23 PM
Vinh Nguyen
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 96 Posts

I had mine done at advanced auto. Was $210 after they refunded me $25 to recycle the battery that was already in it.

AGM and the largest size H8.

Free install

Old 05-11-2021, 03:27 PM
Vinh Nguyen
Rennlist Member

Hard at work! They were eager to do it since it was their first time working on a 911.
The following users liked this post:
BGLeduc (05-11-2021)
Old 05-11-2021, 04:31 PM
bb964
Rennlist Member

Received 325 Likes on 200 Posts

were his shoes clean??
scr1244 (05-23-2021)
Old 05-11-2021, 04:32 PM
Vinh Nguyen
Rennlist Member

haha
Old 05-11-2021, 05:09 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 460 Posts

id lock him in there and see if that safety release works..
Old 05-21-2021, 10:48 AM
Carrera991
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 60 Posts

I ordered online a battery at Battery+Bulb, they gave me a call yesterday to let me know the battery is ready for pick-up and it's about 7 months old. Told them I want a new one so they said it'll get there next week.
They also install the batteries so I think I'll let them just put it in.

Old 05-23-2021, 01:18 AM
Fr3nch
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Does anyone here have experience with an old oem battery smelling?

ive been getting a horrible intermittent smell in the cabin when coming to a stop. It’s definitely coming in through the fresh air hvac intake right next to the battery. I thought it was gear oil, but I’ve checked everything with no results. Now I’m thinking I may be confusing the sulfur smell of gear oil with sulfur from a bad battery. The smell occurring at stops would be in-line with the alternator kicking in on braking/engine braking and causing some charge related smell. Anyone else have this?

My battery is still original (late 2013) and the stickers on top are bulged a bit. (Edit: bulged is the wrong word to use with a battery. I’m assuming the stickers on top are covering something up and have gas trapped under them. Battery case isn’t bulged)

Regardless, I’m going to replace the original battery with the Duracell as a trouble shooting step. Should I have the dealer check out the charging system as well? Any chance it’s over-charging the battery?

Last edited by Fr3nch; 05-23-2021 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-23-2021, 08:13 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Originally Posted by Fr3nch

ive been getting a horrible intermittent smell in the cabin when coming to a stop. It’s definitely coming in through the fresh air hvac intake right next to the battery. I thought it was gear oil, but I’ve checked everything with no results. Now I’m thinking I may be confusing the sulfur smell of gear oil with sulfur from a bad battery. The smell occurring at stops would be in-line with the alternator kicking in on braking/engine braking and causing some charge related smell. Anyone else have this?

My battery is still original (late 2013) and the stickers on top are bulged a bit.

Regardless, I’m going to replace the original battery with the Duracell as a trouble shooting step. Should I have the dealer check out the charging system as well? Any chance it’s over-charging the battery?
None of this sounds good. In fact, it all sounds dangerous. Please be careful, and wear eye protection and rubber gloves. The sooner you do the battery replacement, the better. Have a box or 2 of baking soda ready at your disposal. Report back.
Old 05-23-2021, 08:23 AM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 312 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
None of this sounds good. In fact, it all sounds dangerous. Please be careful, and wear eye protection and rubber gloves. The sooner you do the battery replacement, the better. Have a box or 2 of baking soda ready at your disposal. Report back.
What he said. A bulging battery could explode on you. Be very careful! The battery is long past the time it should’ve been replaced, so it doesn’t owe you anything.
Old 05-23-2021, 09:22 AM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 715 Likes on 479 Posts

My battery is still original (late 2013) and the stickers on top are bulged a bit.

Holy crap!? "Bulging" is a really really bad thing...there's definitely something going on. At a minimum you should start with a new battery...and go from there. Since the filter is right there as well, I'd probably get a new one...and might as well get a new cabin filter as well since they are easy to replace and relatively cheap...

+1 on what lex said about taking precautions...
Old 05-23-2021, 09:27 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

So I went through this entire thread and there still seem to be 2 schools of thought on battery registration. Has this been settled definitively, either way?

I'm leaning towards "yes" on registration and will inquire with a local Indy, as my BMWs have a similar IBS (intelligent battery system) that requires registration for the precise reason listed in this thread (the car has to be told that the battery is new so that it doesn't overcharge it).
GSBruce (05-01-2022)
Old 05-23-2021, 09:46 AM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 312 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
So I went through this entire thread and there still seem to be 2 schools of thought on battery registration. Has this been settled definitively, either way?

I'm leaning towards "yes" on registration and will inquire with a local Indy, as my BMWs have a similar IBS (intelligent battery system) that requires registration for the precise reason listed in this thread (the car has to be told that the battery is new so that it doesn't overcharge it).
No. It’s not been settled in the thread. You’ll have to decide for yourself. I was guided by the fact that Porsche documentation says to register the battery with the car’s system. So I did it. Didn’t cost me anything to do it as I had an iCarSoft V2 that was able to register the battery. Takes 5 minutes.
Old 05-23-2021, 11:27 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 684 Likes on 477 Posts

So much for all those people on forums that claim batteries are "sealed" which of course none of them are. They are either vented (in a regular battery) or a VRLA (Valve Regulated Lead Acid) battery.

Battery acid when it gases has a very distinctive smell, just like engine coolant has a very distinctive smell.

You either have an old battery that is defective or the vehicle is overcharging the battery. What does your MFD say on the dash?

Last edited by IXLR8; 05-23-2021 at 01:25 PM.
Porsche0911 (05-23-2021)
Old 05-23-2021, 01:13 PM
Fr3nch
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
So much for all those people on forums that claim batteries are "sealed" which of course none of them are. They are either vented (in a regular battery) or a VRLA (Valve Regulated Lead Acid) battery.

Battery acid when it gasses has a very distinctive smell, just like engine coolant has a very distinctive smell.

You either have an old battery that is defective or the vehicle is overcharging the battery. What does your MFD say on the dash?
I just changed mine to display battery voltage. I’ll have to observe for a bit and report back.
The following 2 users liked this post by Fr3nch:
IXLR8 (05-23-2021), Porsche0911 (05-23-2021)
Old 05-23-2021, 01:24 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 684 Likes on 477 Posts

I just changed mine to display battery voltage. I’ll have to observe for a bit and report back.
My MFD and all one needs to know now: Oil Pressure, Oil Temperture, Coolant Temperature and Voltage.

I take it you have a factory AGM battery.
This is what you should be reading based on the ambient temperature. My 991 at 6C (43F) was showing 14.9V. Spot on!

Quick Reply: 991.1 Battery Replacement DIY