Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport & Sport+ have different boost

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2018 | 11:57 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Porsche is not delivering vehicles that don’t meet the published power specs in Normal mode. (Maybe this IS the next DieselGate, but I’m not betting on it.)

Boost as displayed on your MFD is not a direct measure of horsepower or torque. (Yes, the Service Adviser is not completely wrong.)

OF COURSE Sport, Sport+ and “Sport Response” modes are going to affect ‘displayed’ boost (along with a bunch of other drivetrain parameters.) Otherwise there could be no discernible difference between modes.

The question is if these ‘non-normal’ modes have some measurable non-trivial impact on peak torque or horse power.

If you want real data, then go get real data with an inertial dyno.

Glancing at you boost gauge is not data.

It’s like you looked out a window for 1/100th of a second, determined it was dark, and came to the conclusion that the sun had been destroyed.

It’s also not data unless you also record: engine and oil temperature, ambient temperature, humidity, barometric pressure, altitude above sea level, throttle position, and rpm (and probably several others that I’m forgetting about right now.)
Old 01-03-2018 | 12:12 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by subshooter
So what does the data mean? I think we all agree that increasing boost on the same displacement engine under the same conditions yields more HP right?
For steady state boost yes.

So when Porsche claims 370 hp, that must mean for the base car with no options correct? So how much HP is my car really making in each mode?
I would expect Sport+ or “Response” mode to produce more boost. (Capital-T Turbos have done this for years.)
Since hp is a peak measurement at a specific rpm, more boost across the rpm range will have no effect on the peak unless the increased boost is also present at the peak horsepower rpm. If boost drops to normal before this ‘peak rpm’ there’s no change in peak hp. (Capital-T Turbos have done this for years.)

Of course, there’s more horse power. Just not at the peak. So, it’s not ‘advertised.’

I’ve been wondering since the .2 intro with “Sport Response” mode why Porsche isn’t marketing “overboost” like they do in the Capital-T Turbos.
Old 01-03-2018 | 12:16 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by worf928
Glancing at you boost gauge is not data.

It’s like you looked out a window for 1/100th of a second, determined it was dark, and came to the conclusion that the sun had been destroyed.

It’s also not data unless you also record: engine and oil temperature, ambient temperature, humidity, barometric pressure, altitude above sea level, throttle position, and rpm (and probably several others that I’m forgetting about right now.)
I disagree with your comments here. It is data. The data is observable and repeatable between multiple users. Indicated boost is higher in sport + than sport/normal. This is a fact. I was staring at the boost gauge the entire time (not looking out a window) and confirmed what other users are also observing. While I agree that the impact on HP of the higher indicated boost is up for debate, we all know that increasing boost increases HP. I used the term "indicated boost" here because you are challenging if the boost gauge on the MFD is correct without providing any evidence to bring the displayed data into question.

I also agree that Porsche must be linking the 370 HP figure in the base engine in its base form of only normal/sport + mode. Therefore, there can only be two possible conclusions from my perspective:

1. The boost guage is not accurate or;

2. Cars with the SC package are making more HP than cars without this option.

I don't see any other conclusion.
Old 01-03-2018 | 12:19 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by worf928

Of course, there’s more horse power. Just not at the peak. So, it’s not ‘advertised.’
ok. That is a fair comment.
Old 01-03-2018 | 12:21 PM
Ed911.2
Instructor

I’m away from home so can’t access my car to try it but if you bring up torque on the instrument cluster multifunction display, does it change the shape of the curve when you move from one mode to another?
Old 01-03-2018 | 12:31 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ed911.2
I’m away from home so can’t access my car to try it but if you bring up torque on the instrument cluster multifunction display, does it change the shape of the curve when you move from one mode to another?
Ha ha...that is funny....subtle point that you are making here which is not lost on me but you are making the same argument as worf928. You agree that more boost provides more HP and Torque right?

And to worf928's comments above from my observation, I observed the peak boost at about the same rpm in each run (around 6000 rpm).

So either we are making more HP in sport + mode or the boost gauge is not accurate.
Old 01-03-2018 | 12:48 PM
simplex
Instructor

deleted.

Last edited by simplex; 01-03-2018 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-03-2018 | 12:54 PM
Ed911.2
Instructor

So either we are making more HP in sport + mode or the boost gauge is not accurate.
If I *had* to make a wager, I would lean towards the latter, although I admit I don’t have much in the way of reliable data. It could be that there is a third answer, that the power is the same but the boost is higher: see below...

You agree that more boost provides more HP and Torque right?
Yes and no. WOT steady state, one would have to agree, providing the AFR stays the same. But if you have anti-lag, which I believe operates in S/S+, you can have boost unrelated to the actual power being developed as by changing the ignition timing, not that much work is being done by the engine but there is still significant airflow to keep the turbos spinning.

Last edited by Ed911.2; 01-03-2018 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-03-2018 | 01:01 PM
simplex
Instructor

I have a theory. What if the HP is constant, the boost is correct, and what changes is the Variocam timing?
Old 01-03-2018 | 01:34 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Somewhere, probably working from home, Porsche Leipzig trainee Hans Schumann is working on Internet Marketing Module III: Forums, and calling out to his wife, Brun honey, more beer! The Rennderkind are at it again!
Old 01-03-2018 | 02:05 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Keep in mind the peak boost level is not going to be the same in all environments. Lately with overboost active my car (991.2 TT) has been peaking at 15 psi. In the hot parts of summer I saw 19 psi. What I mean here is the peak number doesn’t matter, the delta does. My assumption is the car is adjusting boost to always make rated power.

With a quick check on the freeway I verified my car makes more boost in S/S+ than in normal mode, sport and sport plus produce the same indicated boost level, and in a separate test the button matched S+. That matches my expectations and Porsche’s marketing literature about the car and the overboost feature.

For my car S+ is the only mode that activates the antilag so in idle cruising in S+ I will still have some boost pressure. S and S+ maintain boost through shifts, but the antilag feature is reserved for S+ mode - so I would conclude Porsche wants to keep something special reserved for S+.

Where in the RPM range is the boost increased? Is it effectively a torque increase in S+ mode with the same peak power? In my car peak boost is far down from redline. Peak power is around redline so the additional boost at moderate (3-4K) RPM levels increases peak torque and helps acceleration through the gears if you shift short but it has no impact on the rated/peak power since that is near the top of the RPM range and the turbocharger has run somewhat out of breath by that point.
Old 01-03-2018 | 02:19 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ace37
Keep in mind the peak boost level is not going to be the same in all environments..
Agree. But in my testing this morning, the environment was identical and sport + boost was significantly greater than boost in sport/normal mode.
Old 01-03-2018 | 02:29 PM
zojirushi
Intermediate

See this post for other insight on peak boost: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9849...-pressure.html

There are owners reporting seeing the advertised peak boost without the sport chrono option on base c2.

I do not have the sport chrono option on my car and I'm only seeing 10 psi at peak and falling to 7-8 psi. I'm asking my dealership to confirm this next time I bring in my car.
Old 01-03-2018 | 03:14 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zojirushi
See this post for other insight on peak boost: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9849...-pressure.html

There are owners reporting seeing the advertised peak boost without the sport chrono option on base c2.

I do not have the sport chrono option on my car and I'm only seeing 10 psi at peak and falling to 7-8 psi. I'm asking my dealership to confirm this next time I bring in my car.
I've followed and commented on that thread and I recall the comment made by valvefloat. However, I don't think this point is relevant to this thread since we are comparing boost between sport + and sport modes with the same car in the same environment. I'd like valvefloat to go check his car in both modes and report back.

Your 10 psi in your sport mode exactly matches mine. I can't get any higher (at least under the environmental conditions this morning) But I got up to 14 psi in sport + in the same car and same environment.

Maybe we have uncovered the secret power-kit for the base model. Sport Chrono in sport + mode. lol.
Old 01-03-2018 | 03:24 PM
Mark993TT
Racer

Each run (1 - 6) was started from 5 mph with WOT in first gear on a flat road .
Did you also test this under a longer more sustainable engine load in the higher gears ?

Quick Reply: Sport & Sport+ have different boost