Sponsored by:

Sport & Sport+ have different boost

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 02:07 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by arter
This was discussed in another thread already which might be why the lack of response.

What I would like to know is if the 20 second over boost button gives even higher boost levels ( or is it a temporary sport + position).
I assume/d it's simply a "Temporary Sport Plus" so when I had a 718 S for a while, I just flipped the **** to S+ when I needed the boost (instead of using the push "boost" button). But then I heard that the button actually provides a MORE aggressive mapping than Sport+? Not sure if it was just marketing verbiage, but I'm curious of the same thing.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:31 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

On the TT I know overboost is disabled in normal mode. The color of the boost indication goes orange when overboost is active. Now I’m curious to try S, S+, and the button all at once...

If you want a rough estimate of the power due to additional boost, with 420 bhp at 16 psi, taking atmospheric pressure at 14.5 psi gives a total pressure of 14.5+16=30.5psi. 420hp/30.5psi gives 13.8bhp per psi. Using that estimate, 2 psi means about 28bhp.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:44 AM
usccharles
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ace37
On the TT I know overboost is disabled in normal mode. The color of the boost indication goes orange when overboost is active. Now I’m curious to try S, S+, and the button all at once...

If you want a rough estimate of the power due to additional boost, with 420 bhp at 16 psi, taking atmospheric pressure at 14.5 psi gives a total pressure of 14.5+16=30.5psi. 420hp/30.5psi gives 13.8bhp per psi. Using that estimate, 2 psi means about 28bhp.
That would mean be going from Sport to Sport + in a GTS is about the same difference in HP from going Carrera S to GTS. thats pretty significant to justify staying in Sport + all the time.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:37 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by ace37

Of course you are assuming a linear relationship between boost and HP. Maybe there is.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:54 AM
Mark993TT
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

My thoughts go out to everyone not going for the Sport Chrono package and missing out on all the extra horsepower in sport plus mode.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:31 AM
usccharles
Pro

Originally Posted by Mark993TT
My thoughts go out to everyone not going for the Sport Chrono package and missing out on all the extra horsepower in sport plus mode.
on the contrary, if you don't have Sport Chrono, you wouldn't have all these different Sport modes, and while your throttle mapping etc will always remain same, I would assume you would also always have access to the full HP available for the particular 991.2 911 you own. but thats my guess. if you buy a 420 HP Carrera S, Sport Chrono or no, you should have 420 HP available. I think Sport Chrono is the one actually missing out on HP on some of its modes.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:35 AM
Mark993TT
Racer

If you don’t have sport chrono you still get the normal and sport mode.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:47 AM
usccharles
Pro

If you don’t have sport chrono you still get the normal and sport mode.
the non-sport chrono owners can help confirm but i would assume you would have reduced boost in normal and full boost in sport mode then
Old 01-02-2018, 11:01 AM
phx991
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by usccharles
I’m glad to see I’m not the only crazy one experiencing this. FYI My experience is in order to consistently get max boost in each mode is to do launch control. I suggest everyone go out and try for yourselves.

Seeing this has me really considering an aftermarket ECU upgrade after my warranty ends. Clearly these cars are tuned down. A smart shop can probably max out the existing boost levels accross the rev range to gain significant power without even stressing the motor with just max boost increase. Someone should ask Nick to check how the boost increase changes accross the rev range on the GIAC ECU upgrade he tested.
A few months ago you posted a thread asking how to "de-tune" your GTS, now you're complaining that it might be de-tuned?

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1033...the-motor.html
Old 01-02-2018, 11:10 AM
Mark993TT
Racer

I really am curious how you guys do your real time testing. The only way to make sure what maximum boost the car is making in the different driving modes, is to put some load on it for a decent amount of time. Typically the lower gears are to short to do that. So that means you will have to be in a higher gear like third/fourth gear and above. What kind of speeds are you doing by then? Anyone tested this on the autobahn?
Old 01-02-2018, 11:18 AM
usccharles
Pro

Originally Posted by phx991
A few months ago you posted a thread asking how to "de-tune" your GTS, now you're complaining that it might be de-tuned?

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1033...the-motor.html
i didn't post asking how to "de-tune" my GTS, I asked it would be nice to have a mode that "detuned" my GTS so I can drive my car in a more spirited way in the city. But, that is with the understanding that I would have full control and knowledge of when I'm in full power and when I'm "detuned" and by how much. with the current sport chrono package, no one seems to know definitively if the car is detuned at different sport modes and if so by how much HP. Porsche claims there is no "detune" of power in different modes but experience tells us that that may not be true.

this is two completely different issues. if you buy a 200K+ car and don't even know exactly what power you are pushing i think that is an issue.

You don't mind that your car has different HP levels at different modes without you knowing the full details??
Old 01-02-2018, 11:24 AM
usccharles
Pro

I really am curious how you guys do your real time testing. The only way to make sure what maximum boost the car is making in the different driving modes, is to put some load on it for a decent amount of time. Typically the lower gears are to short to do that. So that means you will have to be in a higher gear like third/fourth gear and above. What kind of speeds are you doing by then? Anyone tested this on the autobahn?
my next trip to track and and opportunity for some open roads on the way i plan on mounting the iphone camera so it records in slo-mo the dash and boost gauge and do a bunch of launch controls in all the modes and see how it boosts up.

but from my experience so far, it was hard for me to get to full 18 psi from just flooring the car even on Sport + mode, going through the ranges of 2nd 3rd 4th on the freeway floored. I could only get consistent 18 psi if i did launch control.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:47 AM
Mark993TT
Racer

Delivery date for my car is not until February/March. And I still have to run it in.

After that I will be more then happy to try some autobahn runs in the higher gears, because I think that will give more reliable data on boost levels.
Although I am still not buying into the detuned scenario.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:25 PM
usccharles
Pro

Delivery date for my car is not until February/March. And I still have to run it in.

After that I will be more then happy to try some autobahn runs in the higher gears, because I think that will give more reliable data on boost levels.
Although I am still not buying into the detuned scenario.
hopefully i can do some reliable tests for all of us before your car is ready to do your own. i also want to believe that there is no detune scenario
Old 01-02-2018, 12:56 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Boostgate.

How do you think Porsche produces an engine with an absolutely-flat torque curve from 1,XXX rpm to 5,XXX rpm?

By managing the boost level across the rpm range. A “purely mechanical” engine of any sort never, ever, ever has a flat curve.

There’s no fraud or deception here. Porsche didn’t sell you a torque curve or a constant boost level. They sold you a peak torque and a peak (flywheel) horse power number. You’re all hitting, at least, those numbers.

Quick Reply: Sport & Sport+ have different boost