Sponsored by:

Condensation

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 02:03 PM
Carrera2RS
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Condensation

Anyone help with a lot of condensation in the cabin when I get back tot he car and start her up first thing. It goes away with the aircon and screen blowers, looks dry in 4-5 minutes, then I park up, come back to the car and same again. It is wet/damp and cold. But I didn't suffer from this in my previous car and keep aircon on at all times

Its a 2015 991.1 GTS by the way and I have cleaned the car recently with a pressure washer/foam etc
Old 12-28-2017, 02:06 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera2RS
Anyone help with a lot of condensation in the cabin when I get back tot he car and start her up first thing. It goes away with the aircon and screen blowers, looks dry in 4-5 minutes, then I park up, come back to the car and same again. It is wet/damp and cold. But I didn't suffer from this in my previous car and keep aircon on at all times

Its a 2015 991.1 GTS by the way and I have cleaned the car recently with a pressure washer/foam etc
did u have the windows closed?
Old 12-28-2017, 02:38 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Make sure you are not recirculating the cabin air, and that the AC drain is not clogged.
Old 12-28-2017, 02:43 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Make sure you are not recirculating the cabin air, and that the AC drain is not clogged.
Good advice from Lex. Definitely double check the AC and sunroof drains.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:32 AM
Carrera2RS
Pro

Thanks, all

I will check today
Old 01-26-2018, 03:11 PM
Carrera2RS
Pro

Okay and update. The problem is still here....

I drove the car yesterday, clear when I got in, clear with the journey, 8 miles, then park up and it mists up inside, when I return to the car. I had fortunately booked the car in to Porsche to review the problem. A clear day, car had no mist or condensation when I started her up or drove 25 miles to Bristol. I park up on a dry day and within 20 minutes misted up again. Porsche check the aircon heater etc, etc, check the drainage all okay. A full test for over a morning. They run it on circulation, heat etc for 20 minutes and say all looks okay now. The car evidently didn't mist up, it was fine when I got there. I drive home and just checked, guess what... Bl**dy condensation in the car.

The condensation is a very fine mist, that removes the visibility completely, usually but not always on all he windows including doors. Any ideas, its very frustrating
Old 01-26-2018, 03:36 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera2RS
Okay and update. The problem is still here....

I drove the car yesterday, clear when I got in, clear with the journey, 8 miles, then park up and it mists up inside, when I return to the car. I had fortunately booked the car in to Porsche to review the problem. A clear day, car had no mist or condensation when I started her up or drove 25 miles to Bristol. I park up on a dry day and within 20 minutes misted up again. Porsche check the aircon heater etc, etc, check the drainage all okay. A full test for over a morning. They run it on circulation, heat etc for 20 minutes and say all looks okay now. The car evidently didn't mist up, it was fine when I got there. I drive home and just checked, guess what... Bl**dy condensation in the car.

The condensation is a very fine mist, that removes the visibility completely, usually but not always on all he windows including doors. Any ideas, its very frustrating
Water is getting in there somehow. It’s either still wet from your pressure washing event, and you can’t find it, or the moisture is being generated by the heater core, or could be coming from a leak on the windshield washer fluid or something like that.

I would drive your car for 10-15 mins with the AC on, then park your car and let it idle for 5-10 mins with the AC on and look for water under your car, assuming relative outdoor humidity if not supper dry. You should see water coming out of your car, which means your AC condenser is pulling moisture out and draining it properly.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:17 AM
Carrera2RS
Pro

The dealership checked all over for any areas of dampness and leaks and said non could be found, they ran the car for 20 mins, test drove etc. They took the under tray off checked all of the drainage and it was fine, the condenser taking water out and it coming through and out the drain hole normally.

I think there must be something happening with the air con and heating in some way, next time it's dry I will take it out with the air con off and see what happens. Raining again at the moment :-(
Old 01-27-2018, 09:37 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,249 Likes on 784 Posts

You could try putting a couple of automotive desiccant bags under your seats. You can buy them online or at Home Depot.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:55 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Just to confirm: this only happened to you after your pressure washed the car? Never before?
Old 01-28-2018, 05:55 AM
Carrera2RS
Pro

I think it has always been there but I did pressure wash the car (carefully and normally) in the first week, usually clean once a week, with good weather
Old 02-04-2018, 04:35 PM
Carrera2RS
Pro

Okay more information but no answers :-(

Didn't drive the car during the week, didn't notice any condensation. Drove the car on a wet day, no condensation when getting in and none whilst driving, air-con off. Park up and come back....condensation....

Today, lovely day, dry and the cat seemed fine condensation gone. Put aircon back on, drive about 15 miles park up for 2 hours, come back, okay no signs of condensation. drive 15 miles back, all good, it would seem. popped out to check and the screen is covered in condensation :-(

I have never experienced this on other cars, I am worried about internal damp, it seems okay and the interior feels and smells dry, any ideas much appreciated. It will go back to the dealer but I suspect it will come back no better...
Old 02-04-2018, 05:00 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

OK, IMO the question is was it there before you pressure washed it or not. Assuming it started happening after there is a chance that the water found a way into some place and is still there. It will then eventually dry out, but may take a while. My daughter had unfortunate event when she unknowingly pressed a remote button in her purse (stupid design by Honda) and her brand new at that time Pilot opened up the roof w/o her knowing. It it was on a rainy night. Next day we cleaned it all up and dried everywhere as much as possible, however the condensation kept coming back for a week until I put it in my garage and dried it all with fans, heat gun (very carefully) and couple of hair dryers for 48 hours moving them around and trying to reach everywhere I could. Since then the moisture/condensation completely gone. And BTW the dealer (Honda in that case) was pretty useless.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:27 PM
Carrera2RS
Pro

Interesting, it hasn't been washed by me for 2 weeks now, but has been ungaraged. the odd thing is to comes back after running and leaving standing in the dry for a few hours

Quick Reply: Condensation