Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How important is original build sheet parts?

Old 02-04-2018, 01:45 AM
auchenberg
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default How important is original build sheet parts?

I have an 2014 991 that was born with a heated multi function steering wheel, where I had it changed to a SportsDesign steering wheel, plus some other changes.

I'm considering selling the parts instead of taking space in storage, but it just occurred to me, that it might be good to keep them around to have the original parts that matches the build sheet.

Does it matter for modern 911s? Would it matter to you?
Old 02-04-2018, 08:44 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

I've sold three 911s now and have had varying degrees of tweaks on each of them. Aftermarket exhaust for example, wing at the most.

Each time I've kept the original parts and swapped them back for three reasons.

1) If I traded, a dealer will more readily give you a good trade value if it is still stock since they can certify it easily. Also most people shopping dealers aren't looking for modded cars.
2) On a trade or private sale the mods almost never bring more money. But for popular mods you can often get good money for the part by selling it on the classifieds. In other words, you usually get more money parting out the mods than not.
3) The original parts are often unpopular pieces and you are hard pressed to sell them, and then only for a pittance if you can. For example a stock center muffler on a 997, there's almost no market for them since so many swap them for x pipes. But selling an xpipe is easy.

The exception I had was the Turbo wing I added to my 997. It was perfectly done and a lot of folks liked it. I kept the original deck lid just in case. I decided to first privately try to sell the car with it still on and it worked. I got a buyer that opted for that car because of the wing. I gave him the original deck lid with the car for free. Less hassle on that one. A deck lid is hard to sell and ship.

In your case it's hard to say. If you plan on trading the car the wheel you chose would be worth nothing on the trade so you'd might as well swap it back and get money for it in the classifieds or eBay. A private buyer might prefer the new one or the old one, so having the option available might be a plus. In any case I imagine you could sell the wheel you swapped in more easily than the original in the classifieds later.

Last edited by StormRune; 02-04-2018 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 03:30 PM
auchenberg
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
I've sold three 911s now and have had varying degrees of tweaks on each of them. Aftermarket exhaust for example, wing at the most.

Each time I've kept the original parts and swapped them back for three reasons.

1) If I traded, a dealer will more readily give you a better trade value if it is still stock since they can certify it easily. Also most people shopping dealers aren't looking for modded cars.
2) On a trade or private sale the mods almost never bring more money. But for popular mods you can often get good money for the part by selling it on the classifieds. In other words, you get more money parting out the mods than not.
3) The original parts are often unpopular pieces and you are hard pressed to sell them, and then only for a pittance if you can. For example a stock center muffler on a 997, there's almost no market for them since so many swap them for x pipes. But selling an xpipe is easy.

The exception I had was the Turbo wing I added to my 997. It was perfectly done and a lot of folks liked it. I kept the original deck lid just in case. I decided to first privately try to sell the car with it still on and it worked. I got a buyer that opted for that car because of the wing. I gave him the original deck lid with the car for free. Less hassle on that one. A deck lid is hard to sell and ship.

In your case it's hard to say. If you plan on trading the car the wheel you chose would be worth nothing on the trade so you'd might as well swap it back and get money for it in the classifieds or eBay. A private buyer might prefer the new one or the old one, so having the option available might be a plus. In any case I imagine you could sell the wheel you swapped in more easily than the original in the classifieds later.
Very good points, keeping in storage then.
Old 02-04-2018, 03:32 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Should fit well under a bed. 😉
Old 02-04-2018, 04:08 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 952 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Should fit well under a bed. 😉
Or mount it on the passenger side?
Old 02-04-2018, 04:21 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

Is your car a long term keeper? If it is...... sell the parts.

If not, save them because some folks just like OEM as the factory made it.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:03 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Selling to a private party might make a difference, trading in to a dealer doesn't matter as they barely even take a look at your car.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:40 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by Papa Fittig
Selling to a private party might make a difference, trading in to a dealer doesn't matter as they barely even take a look at your car.
I guess the two Porsche dealers I've done a trade-in with are different. They both looked over the car inside and out... not to excruciating detail... but clearly looking for anything obviously awry.

The one just last week looked it over with me after I gave their car a similar going-over and gave it a potential go depending on final trade value agreement. Maybe if I had just accepted their first numbers they would have accepted the risk, but after a few extra grand of squeezing for a better deal they had to have been more concerned about their margin on the resale of the trade.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How important is original build sheet parts?