Sponsored by:

Another 991 bites the dust

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 01:13 AM
mwjackson92
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Another 991 bites the dust

Hey guys, unfortunately some bad news for my 2013 C2S... was in stop and go traffic last week and rear-ended by 80 year old man at full speed.. causing a nice 5 car pile up. Luckily I did not hit anyone in the train, so damage is exclusive to the rear-end for me. I went to doctor and feeling pretty sore, but looking so far like nothing too bad for me. The car on the other end- still trying to figure that one out. CHP estimates that the old guy hit me at 40-50mph, so pretty amazing how well my car held up compared to the Camry.

The engine would start, but sounded very nasty! No power to the wheels whatsoever. Once it was towed to the shop, it began leaking oil pretty heavily. I have no idea the other guy's coverage, since he caused around $100k+ in damage and don't know if he'll have enough to pay me diminished value. The body shop is currently waiting to send it to the dealer to pull the motor and examine the damage closer.. both the body shop and dealer are guessing that it won't be enough damage to be totaled yet, unless the motor is in extra bad shape. I really pray they don't try to fix this thing, my service advisor already warned me it'll never be the same and i'll be back for months with alignment issues. It's a 2013 CPO with 75k miles and was immaculate before the wreck, so I'm guessing would have been worth $55k-$60k depending on their definition of replacement value.

Old 12-28-2017, 01:33 AM
SCPgrom76
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow that’s a lot of damage. Glad you survived relatively unscathed, but sorry to hear about your car!
Old 12-28-2017, 01:46 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 708 Likes on 323 Posts

So glad you are okay - that's the most important thing!

I've been there and this sucks. I am so sorry that this happened to you. I would take it to a Porsche certified body shop and let them start tearing into it. Photos make me sick just looking at them. So sorry again that this happened to you but glad you are okay!
Old 12-28-2017, 01:56 AM
daberlin
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 12 Posts

Agate Gray smash on the 5 Freeway. Merry F'ing Christmas :-(

Alas, glad that you are ok and walked away relatively unscathed. Most important part.

If you are willing (and able), please keep us informed on your experience through this ordeal.

-David
Old 12-28-2017, 02:18 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 857 Likes on 432 Posts

Old 12-28-2017, 06:05 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

Wow, that sucks! Condolences to you for the car, it's sad to see a beauty in such shape, but most importantly you're ok, as well hopefully everyone else is.

On a technical note, it's very confidence inspiring and nice to see how well the 911 held up, doing its job. I always wondered how having the engine at the rear would affect rear collision occupant protection, especially considering how compact the 911 is. I would imagine (and your experience seems to coincide) that the engine out back is a good thing for that, considering how it can act as a strong crumple zone. Regardless, hope you're back on the road in a 911 very soon.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:30 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,227 Likes on 742 Posts

That sux. Your safety is the most important thing and glad car protected you.

Taking a 40-50 mph is pretty impressive. These cars are really built well.

I can't see how this isn't going to marked totaled.

Keep us posted, and this is really sad to see.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:26 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,351 Likes on 761 Posts

Really sorry to see this but glad you are ok so far.
Really impressed with how the 911 took a 50mph hit. Certainly protected you. Hopefully it's a total loss so you can move on clean.
Most important thing, you are ok to drive again.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:40 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 114 Posts

Glad you are OK. This is why I keep so much distance in front of me and keep an eye on what's happening behind at any or no speed people get mad at me.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:58 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Glad you're okay and not hurt.

That's amazing that the car held up that well to such a direct hit. There's no way it won't be totaled once the total bill comes in to fix. If there's any doubt then keep that engine running with the oil leak...
Old 12-28-2017, 09:14 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,279 Likes on 1,045 Posts

Originally Posted by SCPgrom76
Wow that’s a lot of damage. Glad you survived relatively unscathed, but sorry to hear about your car!
I was thinking that this "visual" damage is much less than I expected for a 40-50 mph rear end crash. I would have expected it to be much worse visually but I also suspect there is a lot more damage behind the bumper. Probably totaled.

OP: After a serious accident, some issues arise later. I'd keep on top of that. Good luck and glad you are ok.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:22 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Agree with others:

1. Glad you are ok. Most important thing.
2. Car looks damn good for a 40-50 mph hit!
3. Car will likely be totaled. There is a thread on here called something like "just a rear end bump" or something like that where a guy got a low speed hit and it did unibody damage. Search on that and learn, you will need it to speak to your adjuster.

Good luck!
Old 12-28-2017, 09:26 AM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Well that's a bummer. If it were me I would start shopping for a new car. If they total it great, there's my down payment, if they fix it that's fine too, as I would just use it as a trade for my next Porsche. Good luck and please keep us posted. I'd love to know the total bill to fix this when all is said and done.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:39 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
Well that's a bummer. If it were me I would start shopping for a new car. If they total it great, there's my down payment, if they fix it that's fine too, as I would just use it as a trade for my next Porsche. Good luck and please keep us posted. I'd love to know the total bill to fix this when all is said and done.
If they don't total it then you'll get screwed on the trade... nobody will want that car. Get a professional to appraise it and fight for the depreciated/diminished value.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:47 AM
cfiiman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be careful and get yourself checked out. My wife got rear-ended over a month ago in the Cayenne, which is a beast compared to the little 911. The hit was estimated at around 40 mph by the police. She seemed ok right after the accident but as the hours went by she got a lot worse and we had to go to the ER. Turns out she has two ruptured discs in her neck due to the hit and bulging ones in her lower back. We are dealing with it still day to day and her life has been turned upside down, so make sure you get looked at b/c the insurance companies WILL and DO screw people every chance they get (learned this through this experience). Hope you aren't injured and while sad to see the damage to the car it can be replaced. Good luck with everything.

Last edited by cfiiman; 12-28-2017 at 12:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Another 991 bites the dust