Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTS!! Which one??

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 11:37 AM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

.1 Better sound, much better looking 'shark gills' on the rear deck, new PCM and Car play WAY over rated, TT lag sucks, give me NA anyway Much more collectable in the long run, the so called 'better steering' wheel is totally subjective,and Id wait for the 992 anyway
Old 12-25-2017, 12:16 PM
mrmojom3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Speed Metal 951
This is what I'm talking about! Good info

And no need for WW3 fellas Just want your coveted opinions.
If you did a search this has been discussed a billion times, which usually ends up in a big brawl. Ever seen the movie Ron Burgendy? It escalates quickly here.

If you are hurry just do a search.

Last edited by mrmojom3; 12-25-2017 at 12:19 PM. Reason: sp
Old 12-25-2017, 12:19 PM
mrmojom3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 12-25-2017, 12:22 PM
Dude174
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I've owned both .1 and .2, albeit my .1 was an S - I would say as to which to go with depends on what you want out of the car. My personal preference is the .2 by a wide margin and I have no regrets at all.

The .1 is louder in low to midrange. The induction noises are also better at higher rpm. The .2 is not quiet, but is quieter in midrange but at high rpm it's loud also. It just has a - I don't know the proper term - "bassier" tone? At idle the .2 is more bassy as well, I prefer it's idle sound (with the exhaust open) as do most of my friends.

The .2 has improvements also such as improved steering, the manetino (which is really handy but you get even more unused buttons on the console), lighter clutch, improved suspension and supposedly improved shifting (my .1 was pdk so I can't compare here).

My personal preference for the styling is the cleaner sports design front looks better, but the .1 has a real center opening which looks better than the black plastic. I do like the narrow led DRL but that's a personal preference. As to the direction of the black plastic engine vents - yes they're in line with the car and not horizontal, but who cares? I don't even notice and I would wager a black vent looks the same to 99% of the people looking at it. Also the door handles are cleaner. Tail lights on .1 are much better, but not deal breaking for me (weirdly this was an area I was concerned about because I think the .1 tail lights are perfect). But the external styling is so close, I would call it a minor difference. Most people can't tell a .1 from a .2 GTS.

In my opinion the pcm is greatly improved - I don't even use CarPlay so it's not just that. It looks better and works better and is more intuitive if that makes sense.

Despite what people say on this forum, the cars are amazingly similar to each other in controls, switches, operation, etc. The .1 is not "slow" or outdated and the .2 is not a "vacuum cleaner" that only people who like CarPlay would prefer. The new engine doesn't change an amazing sports car to a bloated GT, nor does it turn an "outdated slow" car to a raging world beater.

As to the 992, eek! I think almost everyone agrees the 991 (.1 or .2) is one of the best looking 911 generations. In my opinion the 992 kills the look - the straight hood line, the ugly spoiler, eclipse looking rear and glass cockpit interior are just some examples.

Anyway, sorry for the long answer - just bored with endless Christmas story loop on tbs already I guess!
Old 12-25-2017, 12:24 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by crossroads
I would go with the .2 primarily because you can order it to your specs.

Engine may sound better in the .1 but even that has a symposer and contrived burbles and crackles in sport/sport plus modes..
They both have sound symposers and contrived crackles and pops. The .2 actually has two symposers.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:28 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by Dude174
I've owned both .1 and .2, albeit my .1 was an S - I would say as to which to go with depends on what you want out of the car. My personal preference is the .2 by a wide margin and I have no regrets at all.

The .1 is louder in low to midrange. The induction noises are also better at higher rpm. The .2 is not quiet, but is quieter in midrange but at high rpm it's loud also. It just has a - I don't know the proper term - "bassier" tone? At idle the .2 is more bassy as well, I prefer it's idle sound (with the exhaust open) as do most of my friends.

The .2 has improvements also such as improved steering, the manetino (which is really handy but you get even more unused buttons on the console), lighter clutch, improved suspension and supposedly improved shifting (my .1 was pdk so I can't compare here).

My personal preference for the styling is the cleaner sports design front looks better, but the .1 has a real center opening which looks better than the black plastic. I do like the narrow led DRL but that's a personal preference. As to the direction of the black plastic engine vents - yes they're in line with the car and not horizontal, but who cares? I don't even notice and I would wager a black vent looks the same to 99% of the people looking at it. Also the door handles are cleaner. Tail lights on .1 are much better, but not deal breaking for me (weirdly this was an area I was concerned about because I think the .1 tail lights are perfect). But the external styling is so close, I would call it a minor difference. Most people can't tell a .1 from a .2 GTS.

In my opinion the pcm is greatly improved - I don't even use CarPlay so it's not just that. It looks better and works better and is more intuitive if that makes sense.

Despite what people say on this forum, the cars are amazingly similar to each other in controls, switches, operation, etc. The .1 is not "slow" or outdated and the .2 is not a "vacuum cleaner" that only people who like CarPlay would prefer. The new engine doesn't change an amazing sports car to a bloated GT, nor does it turn an "outdated slow" car to a raging world beater.

As to the 992, eek! I think almost everyone agrees the 991 (.1 or .2) is one of the best looking 911 generations. In my opinion the 992 kills the look - the straight hood line, the ugly spoiler, eclipse looking rear and glass cockpit interior are just some examples.

Anyway, sorry for the long answer - just bored with endless Christmas story loop on tbs already I guess!
Great honest opinion.

I agree, the two cars aren't REALLY that different. Lot of teeth gnashing over very small items.

I will say, though, that although the new door
Handles look cleaner..they are almost TOO clean. To me they leave the side missing something, as if the new handles are the wrong scale. But that's just small silly preferences. Both are great cars.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:46 PM
Boulder Mike
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Speed metal-
1. Go try to drive both. There are not a lot of .1 GTS cars out there so if you can’t find one drive a .1s and think slightly better with 30 hp which you probably only get at top of range so not a huge diff at test drive speeds. Likewise, not many .2 GTS cars sitting around so drive .2s and think slightly better step up due to higher torque of 37 lb ft. (No torque increase in .1 from s to GTS).

2. Lots of other threads on this topic. Check them out.

3. Less importantly my opinion. I’ve had .1s and .2. GTS. The .1 a bit more angry and emotional experience but .2 better daily driver. I also like .2 capabilities at altitude. I’m getting past break-in period in GTS and starting to see its abilities more and it is an amazing car. One poster in another thread put it aptly. The 3.0 turbo is not like an N/A but also not like a typical turbo. Turbo lag to lesser degree than any turbo sports car I’ve driven and linear power band but to lesser degree (at least it feels that way to me) than NA car. Either way you can’t go wrong.

4. See #1 above.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:53 PM
Boulder Mike
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Continued...
5. I’m basically Switzerland on this. If you put a brand new .1 and brand .2 GTS in front of me I’d have a meltdown trying to decide. That’s why I’m trying (really starting to think about) to get a gt3 car maybe 997.2 for weekend or track as I daily my .2.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:57 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

There can be only .1
Old 12-25-2017, 01:33 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

To most normal earthlings both cars would be amazing.
Old 12-25-2017, 03:06 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

I am one of those "who need their sodium levels checked" .1 for me please.
Old 12-25-2017, 04:01 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Papa Fittig
I am one of those "who need their sodium levels checked" .1 for me please.
With the sounds that baby makes, gonna guess results will find more sugar than salt.
Old 12-25-2017, 04:20 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm a .1 fan because if I were only concerned with speed, then at the price of the .2 I could have a cpo turbo that would outperform any GTS. And I like the linear power delivery of the 3.8

I also like owning the last NA Carrera outside of its GT cars. Something special that comes to me as an end of an era for Porsche.
Old 12-25-2017, 05:12 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 778 Likes on 344 Posts

Ill I’ll be as succinct as possible. The 991.2 sounds terrific. The 991.1 sounds a little better. Other than that the 991.2 is better in every way. Therefore I recommend a 991.2 and you won’t forever second guess yourself. Btw I owned a 991.1 4s and now own a 991.2 GTS. My opinion. The only thing I second guess myself on is I went with PDK and I love it but I do love a manual car for sure and I don’t track my car. The good news is I have a 76 911s outlaw with a 3.0 with 915 manual.
Old 12-25-2017, 05:26 PM
Zetta
Racer

Received 304 Likes on 100 Posts

Clearly spoken - The 991.2 is the better 991.1 Everything has been said. I just came from a 300 km fun christmas ride, it sounds great, it drives great. What do you want more? Asking my wife for her opiinion before buying mine, she told me, why should anybody buy an older technology if you can get such a perfect 911 buying a 991.2. The German would say: Das Bessere ist des Guten Feind.

Quick Reply: GTS!! Which one??