Sponsored by:

GTS!! Which one??

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 12:18 AM
Speed Metal 951
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default GTS!! Which one??

Which GTS would you go with? The 3.8 or the newer 3L TT? Best answered by someone who has owned both, or at least driven both. I'm a manual trans guy but also open to PDK depending on the car.
Also, with the GTS, 4S or 2? The car is going to be a hotrod only, no DD. Just fun and hopefully lots of it! This will be my first modern
911. Pretty stoked:P
Thanks

Last edited by Speed Metal 951; 12-25-2017 at 01:01 AM. Reason: wtfn
Old 12-25-2017, 12:42 AM
phx991
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here we go. Should be a fun thread.
Old 12-25-2017, 01:06 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Name:  photo910.jpg
Views: 2771
Size:  74.7 KB

Name:  photo471.jpg
Views: 2774
Size:  333.8 KB
Old 12-25-2017, 01:12 AM
Terrence
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I had a 991.1 GTS cab and now a 991.2 GTS cab, both manual. The .1 sounded better, but the .2 has more torque and power, and also way more potential for tuning even more power. Very slight turbo lag. The .2 also has a great infotainment system interface and larger high resolution screen.
Old 12-25-2017, 01:33 AM
Speed Metal 951
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Terrence
I had a 991.1 GTS cab and now a 991.2 GTS cab, both manual. The .1 sounded better, but the .2 has more torque and power, and also way more potential for tuning even more power. Very slight turbo lag. The .2 also has a great infotainment system interface and larger high resolution screen.
This is what I'm talking about! Good info

And no need for WW3 fellas Just want your coveted opinions.
Old 12-25-2017, 02:05 AM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

.1 sounds better.

.2 is better in every single way imaginable.

From exterior styling, to interior creature comforts, to engine/drivetrain/suspension/steering.

Everything is more refined in a good-non numbing way. Off the top of my head:

Much better Bose system. Night and day.
Much better suspension feel, you'll feel more confident driving with less jarring bumps.
Much better electric steering.
The torque, it'll throw you back in the seat!
PCM upgrade- Oh.My.Goodness. Thank you Porsche for this. The PCM in the .1 car is a joke. Laggy, unorganized. The map looks like its from the Simpsons.
3D taillights are beautiful.
If opting for it, the PDK is smoother and shifts faster.
Shifting stalk shifts the correct way.
Crispier paddle shifts.
HOLD feature.

That's just off the top of my head. The .1 is still a very fun beautiful and excellent car, but no match for a .2 in my opinion.

I purchased a 13 C4S a month ago, that one is staying in the family. I am waiting for delivery on my new 17 GTS. Cannot wait.

Everyone has their opinions but a lot of the .1 people need their sodium levels checked. They simply will not embrace the new car which is understandable. Everyone needs to feel good about themselves right?

Finally, the .2 drivers are the embraced overlords of the 991 community.
Old 12-25-2017, 05:39 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Lmao. Unreal. How many of these do we need?

I’ll throw my hat in for the .1, all day and every day. Simply because it’s more fun to me, sounds much better, thus communicates better to me.
The .2 is an excellent driving car, better overall car, but the .1 GTS is always a grin-rich riot who’s impression sticks with me far longer. Also, you about certainly won’t find a car produced in the numbers it is that will hold the same resale as the .1 GTS, if that matters.

Last edited by K-A; 12-25-2017 at 06:00 AM.
Old 12-25-2017, 06:22 AM
Carrera2RS
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 59 Posts

I have been 911 free for 10 years and when I drove a few models none really got the Adrenalin going, drove a 991.1 GTS and was sold, I love the power band, moving from a twin turbo 630 hp V8, I did miss the midrange grunt, but forgave that for the throttle response and precision.

I think you should drive both, I didn’t simply because I couldn’t justify the £20k extra in any case. But I would say that more power lower down will change the way you drive, for me not in a good way.
Old 12-25-2017, 06:54 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

The one where the S fell off and was replaced by a 3.
Old 12-25-2017, 09:59 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Neither. The 992 will be out soon enough and it will blow the 991.2 into the weeds. Will be a much bigger difference than going from 991.1 to .2.
Old 12-25-2017, 10:52 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Porsche doesn't come out with new versions that are not as good as the previous version.

Anyway you said you wanted a "hot rod"...the Turbo .2 GTS is just that over the 99.1 3.8....the massive increase of torque over the 3.8 GTS is very very nice.
Old 12-25-2017, 10:53 AM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

I have a .2 GTS coupe; have not owned a .1 to compare with.

Independent of contrast, what I can say is the .2 is fast with a lot of torque when you need it. Steering is responsive, progressive, and very light but I wish it gave me more feedback. The wide body looks good, the extra tire footprint is needed. I have PCCB and love the braking power they bring, in spite of being a little grabby. I highlight this because braking is the underappreciated element of driving the car well; it has so much mid-range power that braking hard into a turn, more than you normally would and then modulating out of the entry and then using the mid-range power to anchor the car and drive through the turn is a dance... it’s really easy to come in hot and then have the car overwhelm itself to the point the computer needs to take over. I am itching to get track time to explore how to drive this car well but I can already see that the torque curve is itself its own learning curve. I think the GTS can be as fast as the GT3 on the track, in the hands of most drivers, if one can drive the car in a way that exploits the mid-range power.

Rear wheel steering. Wow.

I’m a PDK owner, mostly because my wife also drives the car. Even without her requirement, I’d get PDK. What an incredible piece of engineering the PDK is, aside from the performance numbers. The PDK is always in the right gear, it knows what gear you want to be in before you do, and it knows what gear you should be in even when you don’t. I hope MT never goes away but I really appreciate the PDK, it’s not an ideological thing for me.

RWD vs AWD. In most cars, I like the edge that the AWD gives me but in this case I gotta go with the RWD variant.

The .2 has some nice refinements inside the cabin, the upgraded infotainment being a highlight.
Old 12-25-2017, 11:11 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I always said my 991.1 GT3 was the most fun car I ever owned. Now after driving my new 991.2 GTS cab for a couple of hundred miles I'm already thinking maybe I need to give the edge to the GTS. It's just that good of a car. So comparing it to a .1 GTS there would be no comparison, I'd go .2 all the way.

​​
Old 12-25-2017, 11:18 AM
crossroads
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I would go with the .2 primarily because you can order it to your specs.

Engine may sound better in the .1 but even that has a symposer and contrived burbles and crackles in sport/sport plus modes.

The NA and turbo engines are both excellent but with different characteristics so really depends on what are your priorities. If you like to mod your engine, tuners have inexpensive significant power gains for the turbos.

Having driven both .1 and .2 (albeit not the GTS models), I prefer the .2 as it seems to have a better steering feel and definitely better electronics.
Old 12-25-2017, 11:32 AM
///Armin
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

You should drive both, they are vastly different from each other. You are going to get very mixed responses as both have their own following, more .1 than .2 simply due to the sound and being N/A. If it's a weekend car, why not GT3 2014-2015? it is not that much higher in price.

Quick Reply: GTS!! Which one??