Sponsored by:

GTS!! Which one??

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 12:58 AM
KM1959
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Highyo
my vote is for a clean breathing NA engine vs a turboed engine with a head cold.

in terms of electronics, i guess that matters. but i use Waze, my phone to access music, and have not changed a sound setting since day 1. not enough of a game changer for me. i certainly can't speak to lag but i would think that i would feel hypersensitive following this car, where it feels like my foot is connected to something tangibly "opening" in the engine. people say "it lags, but its just a little lag". that's lag. theres nothing for it. lag is lag.
Today I drove two GTS coupes back to back, the first was a 991.1 with 8K miles, the other a brand new 991.2. The 991.1 is no doubt a fast car - but only feels fast when in the upper part of the power band. From a dead start it felt... well anemic. Launching from 3500 or so, it took off much better, but you'll look and sound like a kid in Honda Civic doing it. In the twisties it was confidence inspiring, better than an S version, lots of fun. The car could be had for 110-ish. But if I was going to spend that I'd much rather have a CPO Turbo S.

Next was the 150K 991.2. I was amazed how different it felt from the 991.1. The difference between standard and Sport Plus was incredible... like two different cars. Like Popeye before and after his spinach. Gear changes were telepathic, throttle response instantaneous. Turbo lag? Nope. It also had its 20 second Turbo boost button that is like an automatically refilling nitrous bottle. Sound? Very reminiscent of the GT3RS I took around the Porsche Experience in Atlanta but just not quite as "throaty". For the first time I thought this is a 911 I could live without still yearning for Turbo S power.

Of course everyone has a different idea of what turns them on. If you're like me and dabble between driving Miss Daisy and Mario Andretti, you'll love the 991.2. The car can transition at the flick of a switch. If you grew up driving (and loving) smaller displacement high revving "momentum cars", save yourself about $40K and go 991.1. But as others have said, drive both and decide, isn't it great to have options?
Old 12-27-2017, 01:54 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,622 Likes on 1,630 Posts

You had me until you compared the sound to a GT3 RS
Old 12-27-2017, 02:07 AM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
You had me until you compared the sound to a GT3 RS
To his defense (very weak) the .2 car has a very nice, loud, and classic 911 howl at/near redline(inside the cabin). Videos don't do it justice, sounds best at the top of 3rd and 4th gear.
Old 12-27-2017, 05:40 AM
Ed911.2
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree about the .2 GTS being two cars in one. In Normal you can drive in heavy traffic or through towns without appearing like a boy racer - but it still sounds like a 911, even with the PSE off. Yes, there is lag but if you’re not on a mission then there is adequate power without any boost at all. I’m not that interested in absolute mpg but I do like having a bit of range and I reckon I can get ~400 miles out of a tank if I really need to. With the engine decoupled and the suspension in its most compliant mode, it’s a remarkably good ride: astounding when you take into account the reduced height and ULP tyres on 20” rims that are a foot wide.

Switch to Sport or Sport+ and for all intents and purposes the lag has gone. The car attacks curves and cambers like nothing I’ve ever driven - yes, I’ve been in cars that can be made to go round corners at very impressive speeds but none of them had the eagerness of the GTS (I have RWS) and you felt you were forcing them, rather than enjoying something that they were born and bred for. The engine note may not hit quite the highs of a NA GTS but it is undeniably the sound of a Porsche flat six developing prodigious amounts of power, which is still a rare thing on most roads. At 7,000rpm there’s not a lot to complain about, really.

Living on a soggy (snowy right now) island, I went for the GTS 4 Coupé and still feel like I’m on honeymoon. Classic shape (no wings, vents, splitters, etc.), endless grip, drives how the mood takes you, feels modern but timeless inside and equally at home going to the shops or on the Nordschleife. Haven’t felt the need to change anything.
Old 12-27-2017, 05:44 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Apparently this valuable objective .1 vs .2 info is so important that I’m willing to not only pay a yearly membership fee but also put up with constant redirects to spam sites to get it.
Old 12-27-2017, 06:24 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by KM1959
Today I drove two GTS coupes back to back, the first was a 991.1 with 8K miles, the other a brand new 991.2. The 991.1 is no doubt a fast car - but only feels fast when in the upper part of the power band. From a dead start it felt... well anemic. Launching from 3500 or so, it took off much better, but you'll look and sound like a kid in Honda Civic doing it. In the twisties it was confidence inspiring, better than an S version, lots of fun. The car could be had for 110-ish. But if I was going to spend that I'd much rather have a CPO Turbo S.

Next was the 150K 991.2. I was amazed how different it felt from the 991.1. The difference between standard and Sport Plus was incredible... like two different cars. Like Popeye before and after his spinach. Gear changes were telepathic, throttle response instantaneous. Turbo lag? Nope. It also had its 20 second Turbo boost button that is like an automatically refilling nitrous bottle. Sound? Very reminiscent of the GT3RS I took around the Porsche Experience in Atlanta but just not quite as "throaty". For the first time I thought this is a 911 I could live without still yearning for Turbo S power.

Of course everyone has a different idea of what turns them on. If you're like me and dabble between driving Miss Daisy and Mario Andretti, you'll love the 991.2. The car can transition at the flick of a switch. If you grew up driving (and loving) smaller displacement high revving "momentum cars", save yourself about $40K and go 991.1. But as others have said, drive both and decide, isn't it great to have options?
The higher redlining 3.8 free breather sounds (and looks!) like a “Civic” yet the low compression 3.0 with turbo sound homogenizer sounds like a “GT3 RS”??

You guys crack me up.

Old 12-27-2017, 10:11 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,622 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by Nino
To his defense (very weak) the .2 car has a very nice, loud, and classic 911 howl at/near redline(inside the cabin). Videos don't do it justice, sounds best at the top of 3rd and 4th gear.
I'm sure it does. (I couldn't get near redline on my S test drive). As does the .1. And both are shaded by the GT cars completely!
Old 12-27-2017, 11:37 AM
KM1959
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A

The higher redlining 3.8 free breather sounds (and looks!) like a “Civic” yet the low compression 3.0 with turbo sound homogenizer sounds like a “GT3 RS”??

You guys crack me up.

Let me take a wild guess here that you have a 991.1. I say this because you feel like I'm picking on your car - which I'm not. Try not taking things so literal and understand the point here is that you'll need to launch your car at high revs to get in the power band. This is not a subtle launch and will draw (unwanted) attention much like that of a high schooler with a Civic. No your 911 does not literally LOOK like a Civic.

I'll also guess that you have never tracked a GT3RS and a 991.2 because if you had it would be really hard to not hear the similarities. I did not say it was identical. Also, yes, 991.2 does have a lower static compression than a NA car but a higher dynamic compression - when the car engine is running due to the boost.

I knew that everyone wasn't going to agree, i was just sharing my experience from actually in the driver's seat and not by based on watching poorly recorded youtube videos played through computer speakers. In turn, I welcome anybody's opinions - your ROFLMAO reaction is pretty douchey though.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:53 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Let me take a wild guess here that you have a 991.1. I say this because you feel like I'm picking on your car - which I'm not. Try not taking things so literal and understand the point here is that you'll need to launch your car at high revs to get in the power band. This is not a subtle launch and will draw (unwanted) attention much like that of a high schooler with a Civic. No your 911 does not literally LOOK like a Civic.

I'll also guess that you have never tracked a GT3RS and a 991.2 because if you had it would be really hard to not hear the similarities. I did not say it was identical. Also, yes, 991.2 does have a lower static compression than a NA car but a higher dynamic compression - when the car engine is running due to the boost.

I knew that everyone wasn't going to agree, i was just sharing my experience from actually in the driver's seat and not by based on watching poorly recorded youtube videos played through computer speakers. In turn, I welcome anybody's opinions - your ROFLMAO reaction is pretty douchey though.
I'm right there with you. I had a 991.1 GT3 and now I have a 991.2 GTS. For everyday driving I definitely prefer the power delivery in the GTS. You're right, you really have to wring it out of the high strung N/A engines, and it can get tiring in a car you drive all the time. It's fun, don't get me wrong, but sometimes I'm just not in the mood to have to drive aggressively and be loud and obnoxious just to get the car to move. With the .2 GTS I can cruise along with immense torque at any RPM, or I can stomp on it and go crazy just like in any N/A car. The point is, I have a choice.

As for sound. My .1 GT3 which I would think most people would think sounds even better stock than a .1 GTS was not good enough sounding stock in my eyes so I had to go to an aftermarket exhaust to make it sound right. All my friends with .1 GT3s have done the same thing. My .2 GTS on the other hand sounds way better stock than I had expected, and I fully anticipate that I will leave it alone because it sounds so good as is. This is of course all subjective, but those are my thoughts.
Old 12-27-2017, 06:23 PM
Barfly67
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by reacher
You're right, you really have to wring it out of the high strung N/A engines, and it can get tiring in a car you drive all the time. It's fun, don't get me wrong, but sometimes I'm just not in the mood to have to drive aggressively and be loud and obnoxious just to get the car to move. With the .2 GTS I can cruise along with immense torque at any RPM, or I can stomp on it and go crazy just like in any N/A car. The point is, I have a choice.
Exactly my experience going from 991.1S to 991.2S... very well said.
Old 12-27-2017, 06:48 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 379 Posts

I'll also guess that you have never tracked a GT3RS and a 991.2 because if you had it would be really hard to not hear the similarities.
I have been on track in a couple of .1 GT3s and been behind both GT3's and GT3 RS's more times then I care to admit (since they both pass the GT4 like it's tied to a tree). IMHO there is nothing out there that remotely sounds like either of them in or out of the cockpit (and that includes the .1 GTS and GT4.) I guess I'm finding it hard to believe the GT3 or GT3RS has found it's way into this sound discussion.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:50 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sound is just one component in my opinion of a cars enjoyment. My GT3 997.1 with center bypass mezger engine different than 2015 991.1 stock GT3 tracked 18 times. My GT3 was used for test fitting a Dundon prototype exhaust w/o cats on dyno and at the Ridge track in WA state 9K rev limit. That car was too loud for the neighborhood according to my wife. No valves in that early version. The TurboS that replaced it was really quiet but had gobs of torque that made it like a rocket ship.
Now I am left with a GT4 for the track and an inbound GTS 2018 arriving in a few weeks. The GTS will be a weekend and occ track car. Coupe, rws, FAL, spasm, PDK, sunroof delete, LCA 138 Msrp. My daily is a 2017 Honda CRV because of the nutty drivers in Seattle and blind spot monitoring help. My commute is usually 10 min. Not enough to properly warm up a Porsche car. Fortunate that way.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:35 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 97 Posts

Yeah, they both have engines. There’s the similarity. My wife can’t tell the difference between how a V12 and I4 sounds, so there’s that too. Maybe your ears work differently than most, maybe you’ve never driven a GT3 RS yourself, or maybe you’re guilty of the same bias you accused me of.. or all of the above. But no, the 3.0T sounds nothing like a GT3 RS. We’re talking apples and aliens here.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:45 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
We’re talking apples and aliens here.

Agreed. I love all 911s (GT4 too!) but this thread is getting ridiculous.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:58 PM
tjangi
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

991.2 C4 GTS

Quick Reply: GTS!! Which one??