Required options to keep 911T a "T"

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 04:07 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Unless I was reading the wrong article:
"The Carrera T is powered by the same twin-turbo 3.0-liter flat-six found in the base car. It's good for 370 horsepower and 339 lb-ft of torque—but we suspect its intended audience will be more interested in its curb weight of 3,135 pounds. Thanks to lightweight glass used for the side and rear windows, fabric interior door straps instead of handles à la the firm's most hardcore GT offerings, and a deleted infotainment system and rear seats, the T is the skinniest 911 one can buy. Equipment being equal, a regular Carrera weighs 44 pounds more. (The rear seats and infotainment can be added back in at no additional cost, just in case you ever plan on actually using your 911 for anything remotely practical."
A weight savings of 44 lbs is good but is it significant enough for all the hype the car is getting. I am on Porsche car #13 so I am a believer but I just wonder if this is the raw car they are making it out to be. Could not a C2S be ordered with some of the same weight savings and give the additional power . Would love to hear other thoughts
Originally Posted by blepski
In my opinion the weight savings is inconsequential.... That 44 lbs could be saved just by driving with half a tank of fuel... What matters on the "T" is the equipment level both standard and offered. The LWB seats are very special and the lightweight glass "could" make the car feel more raw by being a bit louder inside. Add in the "shorter" gearing and I too was interested in the "rawness" this car promised and started buying into the hype myself but in the end it appears to be nothing more than a typical Porsche marketing exercise aimed to pick up the sluggish 911 sales... The initial road test reviews indicated that there isn't much difference between the T and the base 911. In another thread I also complained about the auto rev matching that was added as standard equipment for the manual trans and how absurd I thought that was...

They could have really hit it out of the park with this one. In my perfect world they could have built this as a successor to the 964 RS America! I was almost ready to let go of my NA 991 for it too , especially after seeing spy shots of what is likely to be the 992....

I really hate be to so negative but with the direction of the car industry lately it seems like I'm playing the final few hands of black jack where I either hit or stand on what I currently have before the tables close....
Agreed, the potential weight savings does not mean a thing to me. The T gives us or allows us to order options that are not avail on the base for less than the buy in price of an S. I have been "wishing" for a Base with SPASM, PDCC, RAS, PSE, SC and better(bigger) brakes. The T comes close to that car.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:03 PM
DuckNWeave
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

6 Speed MT would have really made this a special car.....
Old 01-08-2018, 05:40 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DuckNWeave
6 Speed MT would have really made this a special car.....
Yes! And that would have probably eliminated all of my petty complaints.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:52 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
Yes! And that would have probably eliminated all of my petty complaints.
IF that 6 speed came without auto rev matching or at least the ability to permanently disable it then you could count me in as well!
Old 01-29-2018, 10:40 PM
G99x.y
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by k997
Definitely not a marketing exercise but let's not derail the thread. Almost all the options are fluff and not necessary for a T IMO, except for a handful:
T-interior
4-ways or buckets
Rear axel steering
Chrono clock
Bose
All the no-cost bits

To be honest, Bose is only in there because we have no choice but to get the PCM. If we still had the option for radio delete in the US, I would get it. Otherwise, the only thing I'm struggling with at this point is Standard or Leather.

Wait you need Bose to get Navigation .... oh well ... I use an iPhone no matter what.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:20 PM
G99x.y
Pro

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
I have to disagree with the chrono clock. Having SC with no clock helps sets the T apart from the other models.

Im pretty sure the storage bins are avail in the after market or maybe even from Porsche. So maybe done check the Bose box, save some money and replace standard stereo with storage bins. Then remove speakers to save a few more pounds.

This is my dream - just how many speakers are there in the 911 T?

Definitely will take out any subwoofers, if there are any?
Old 01-30-2018, 12:11 AM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

One issue in the US is the required back up camera. I dont know if that will create even more problems when trying to delete the PCM.

It would be a great "problem" to try to solve.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:24 AM
paxton
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 162 Posts

Would adding the sport design front bumper on a "T" considered a sacrilege?
Old 02-02-2018, 09:38 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I thought pretty hard about this, but after looking at the Sport Design bumpers versus standard bumpers at the dealership decided that I like the standards better.
Old 02-03-2018, 12:26 AM
G99x.y
Pro

Originally Posted by paxton
Would adding the sport design front bumper on a "T" considered a sacrilege?

Getting sport design bumperrs mean loosing active air flaps on the standard front bumpers & imo the sport design bumper don’t look great!
Old 09-02-2018, 09:10 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Losing LSD and PTV with PDK, just puts me off
Old 09-03-2018, 08:54 AM
G99x.y
Pro

Yeah but losing LSD saves weight. Plus it’s an additional thing that’ll break. I’ve heard/read somewhere over time they start to slip and become ineffective.

I got RAS with PDK.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:22 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

Here are my thoughts

-RWS: 100% preference. To me a simple back to basics car on the street does not need it.

-PCCB: Preference. I left them off. Brakes feel good on the street so far. I can always upgrade if the bug hits me.

-Transmission: Manual is a must. Otherwise order a different car. I have been driving manuals for almost 20 years daily. I have not stalled it once, missed a shift or had to think what gear I was in. It has a very natural feel. Compared to a base car the shifter is greatly improved. If anything the clutch has a more natural takeup than my 981 did. Yes, I would prefer a 6 speed but the 7 speed feels great and is not a deal breaker. Rev match is fun but like every other driver aid gets boring. Good news is that when I heel toe it seems to over ride it. Not sure yet.

- Sport Design: Has personally I like the car without it.

-Lightweight Glass: Do not delete.

-Chrono: Order. Clock looks good on 991.2

Everything else is pure preference. I wanted a sunroof for the exterior contrast, extra light and air. Again, “fun car” mentality.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:38 AM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by G99x.y
Yeah but losing LSD saves weight. ...

I got RAS with PDK.
C'mon! The weight you save by not having the LSD is multiplied by 3 getting the PDK!
Old 09-03-2018, 01:43 PM
ronht
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Honestly why does it matter?

The best thing about Porsche is that there are 23 variants of 911’s - each customizable to the buyers preference to fit the way they intend to use the car.

The ONLY person you need to satisfy when you buy a 911 is yourself!

Quick Reply: Required options to keep 911T a "T"