Sponsored by:

Required options to keep 911T a "T"

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 09:08 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Required options to keep 911T a "T"

I'm curious to see what others think are the "required" options to keep a T a T. For example, would it be a sin against Germany to order a T with PDK? This is a "driver's car" so it MUST HAVE A MT. If it is a poor man's 911R do you have to get the base / standard 4-way Sport Plus seats to keep the price down or MUST one order the LWB and do away with the rear seats? And how about that "T" interior, I can see it now - "Why bother ordering a T if you didn't get the T interior?" Must one order it with the base stereo, only to be removed and replaced with the storage bins?

I've often said my perfect Porsche would be a Base Carrera with S brakes, SPASM, RAS, PDCC, FAL, SC, PSE and PDK. Basically all the go fast handling goodies of an S without the extra HP. The T comes darn close to that car so I am having fun with the configurator.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:22 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

IMO RAS is the only option that must be spec’d on a T.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:41 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

I was day dreaming about winning the 911T raffle from PCA yesterday and configured my car on Porsche's web site even though I know the odds of winning are extremely low.

Assuming I won, I would keep my current two Porsche sports cars in addition to the 911T. I'd spec'd the 911T exactly like I would want a drivers car to be: PCCB, MT, LWB seats, SC clock, RAS and colored seat belts. Nothing more. No leather, radio, sunroof, heated or ventilated seats etc (I have all that in my current Porsches). Just basic with a few expensive options. This couldn't be my daily driver like my C4 though but it would be fun to drive on the back roads.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:35 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

MT and RAS.
The standard LSD, PSE, bespoke interior bits, gray wheel and trim motif, lower gears and short shifter go a long way to keeping it a unique package as is.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:57 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I think any spec is fine. It’s your car, get what you want.

I am not sure if I would get a T over a base unless I wanted either (1) LWBs (2) the go fast goodies not available on the base C2 e.g. some combo of standard SPASM and PTV, RAS or (3) the T-interior package with the 4 or 18 way seats.

I ordered LWBs on my GT3 and would get a T over a base mainly because of them. Frankly I can do without SPASM, PTV, RAS, and especially PSE but if that is your thing, by all means get a T and spec it however you want.

If I had to choose between a T and a base C2 and was given a set pot of money, I would probably end up in a C2 mainly because, as much as I love the LWBs, they come with alcantara wheel and shifter (so much hate) and you can’t get PTS or LTS or Wood on a T. I think Pete got it right getting a PTS C2 which, as special as a T will be, will be more special.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:20 AM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Those are some pretty interesting ideas. My current car is a 16 Base C with S wheels, DS mirrors and PSE. To build that car today would be $97290. The T comes standard with those options plus SC, SPASM, Sport Plus Seats and a few minor interior and exterior cosmetics for $4810 more. I could add SC to the base which brings the difference down to $2720. So just under $3K for the cosmetics and SPASM. I guess that's a pretty good deal, especially if I factor in the slightly lower gearing, very slightly lower weight and I think I read the T comes with PTV as well.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:46 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

It does come with PTV, I have mixed feelings on mechanical LSDs though. Open differentials last longer in my experience.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:51 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,243 Likes on 780 Posts

Order it however you’d like and don’t worry about it.

If if I were ordering a new Carrera T, I would probably go for the sport bucket seats, manual transmission, and a few basic options. I wouldn’t drive it as a daily driver.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:06 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

I'm building ours for us, not for the next guy (who might be 20+ years from now if history is any guide!) For reference, getting close on the build...

http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ4G6913

Still on the fence w.r.t. two options:

(1) PDK - will make it a more enjoyable car for the family, as my wife will drive it too (or manual and she'll never drive it, like my 993).
(2) Carrera T package (red) v. Ventilated seats. I think the "T" package looks sharp, but it's pricey. The Sport Tex seats cannot do ventilation either.

Also without the "T" package, would probably still be interested in the seatbelts with the red trim on the outer edges, like I've seen one some GTS models, just to give the interior some color. Not sure how to get that option (Exclusive Request?)

Any thoughts?

sean
Old 12-17-2017, 08:33 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Since the T is pretty much just a marketing exercise, the only option that makes it not a “T” is the model designation delete.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:45 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sean Spicer
I'm building ours for us, not for the next guy (who might be 20+ years from now if history is any guide!) For reference, getting close on the build...

http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ4G6913

Still on the fence w.r.t. two options:

(1) PDK - will make it a more enjoyable car for the family, as my wife will drive it too (or manual and she'll never drive it, like my 993).
(2) Carrera T package (red) v. Ventilated seats. I think the "T" package looks sharp, but it's pricey. The Sport Tex seats cannot do ventilation either.

Also without the "T" package, would probably still be interested in the seatbelts with the red trim on the outer edges, like I've seen one some GTS models, just to give the interior some color. Not sure how to get that option (Exclusive Request?)

Any thoughts?

sean
I am NOT a fan of the current MT7. If my 16 Base C2 had PDK I would probably buy it next month at the end of the lease. I have been driving it more and hating the MT7 less but still, I have had more personal issues with this MT than in all my other 9 MT cars combined. So I am a fan of the PDK. Having said that though, in the T I might still get another MT because it has a shorter lever and the engine torque "should" make it more fun and easier for me to drive over the 991.1.

T interior package looks OK and I do not need heated or ventilated seats in So Cal. Plus part of the T is the lighter weight and I think you give that up with heated/vented seats.

As far as seat belts go, I am pretty sure you can buy colors or black with stripes aftermarket. Maybe check Suncoast Porsche?
Old 12-17-2017, 08:49 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Since the T is pretty much just a marketing exercise, the only option that makes it not a “T” is the model designation delete.
I have a problem with this statement... there is much truth to it so I am cool with that. HOWEVER, before I drove off the lot I had the dealer remove all lettering "Porsche Carrera" off the rear of the car. I love the clean look and get many compliments on it. So.... if I got a T I would want to do the same on the rear. But I would have to leave the side stripes, otherwise those gray mirrors just stick out too much for me. But I don't like stickers or decals in general.

Decisions decisions.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:15 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

Definitely not a marketing exercise but let's not derail the thread. Almost all the options are fluff and not necessary for a T IMO, except for a handful:
T-interior
4-ways or buckets
Rear axel steering
Chrono clock
Bose
All the no-cost bits

To be honest, Bose is only in there because we have no choice but to get the PCM. If we still had the option for radio delete in the US, I would get it. Otherwise, the only thing I'm struggling with at this point is Standard or Leather.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:18 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

I have to disagree with the chrono clock. Having SC with no clock helps sets the T apart from the other models.

Im pretty sure the storage bins are avail in the after market or maybe even from Porsche. So maybe done check the Bose box, save some money and replace standard stereo with storage bins. Then remove speakers to save a few more pounds.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:31 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

rkwfxd - thanks for the feedback on the 7MT. Haven't driven it yet, but have driven the PDK in a 2017 C2S and was just blown away. This from a die-hard Porsche 5 and 6MT G50 fan. I like the shift gates in red, but not if the actual transmission isn't genius.

I can see the model designation delete, although I think I'd prefer to delete the side stickers rather than the rear designation. Would be cool if they'd put 911T on the glovebox like the original, or maybe 3.0 on the rear grill as a tribute...

CT interior is definitely tasty...

http://www.porsche-code.com/PJJ5BZE1

Quick Reply: Required options to keep 911T a "T"