Sponsored by:

Required options to keep 911T a "T"

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 09:57 AM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
I have to disagree with the chrono clock. Having SC with no clock helps sets the T apart from the other models.

Im pretty sure the storage bins are avail in the after market or maybe even from Porsche. So maybe done check the Bose box, save some money and replace standard stereo with storage bins. Then remove speakers to save a few more pounds.
Fair point regarding the Clock.

Regarding radio delete ... I don't think it's quite that simple. In theory, yes, you could remove your PCM, replace with bins and remove your speakers but I'm fairly certain the ECU will freak out. Also, don't forget that there is tons of speaker wire and other cables/data buses that connect into the PCM. Radio delete as a factory option probably removes all that stuff, not just the PCM unit and speaker drivers. You most likely won't be able to remove all that cabling.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:15 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Re: radio delete, the question is whether the coding is there to go into the dealer tool and tell the car it is radio delete. And yes, you will have the weight of the wires, but no speakers or head unit should get you close on the weight reduction and the bin to replace the PCM is only $125 or so.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:32 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean Spicer
rkwfxd - thanks for the feedback on the 7MT. Haven't driven it yet, but have driven the PDK in a 2017 C2S and was just blown away. This from a die-hard Porsche 5 and 6MT G50 fan. I like the shift gates in red, but not if the actual transmission isn't genius.

I can see the model designation delete, although I think I'd prefer to delete the side stickers rather than the rear designation. Would be cool if they'd put 911T on the glovebox like the original, or maybe 3.0 on the rear grill as a tribute...

CT interior is definitely tasty...

http://www.porsche-code.com/PJJ5BZE1
Sean,

I am only one guy so take that for what it's worth. In a bit more detail, my issues with the MT7 are the gates are too close and it is too easy to grab the wrong gear, including (for me) reverse when I am looking for 1st. It is geared really tall - 2nd has me over 75 mph and 3rd near 100. So I can really only play with it for a few seconds on on-ramps. But once I am up to freeway speed, I can't just shift into 7th and cruise. I have to stop at 5th or 6th first because you can't get into 7th unless you are in 5th or 6th. The engine is a blast in the upper RPMs but is gutless down low and I have stalled this car more than all my other MT cars combined. Thank goodness for the autostart. But again that is just me. Others love the MT7.

Now, having said all of that, I am/would seriously consider another MT7 on the T. The turbo and lower gearing might just be enough to eliminate the stalling I do and I have noticed, the more I drive it the less I grab the wrong gear.

YMMV
Old 12-18-2017, 04:37 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by k997
Fair point regarding the Clock.

Regarding radio delete ... I don't think it's quite that simple. In theory, yes, you could remove your PCM, replace with bins and remove your speakers but I'm fairly certain the ECU will freak out. Also, don't forget that there is tons of speaker wire and other cables/data buses that connect into the PCM. Radio delete as a factory option probably removes all that stuff, not just the PCM unit and speaker drivers. You most likely won't be able to remove all that cabling.
Originally Posted by evilfij
Re: radio delete, the question is whether the coding is there to go into the dealer tool and tell the car it is radio delete. And yes, you will have the weight of the wires, but no speakers or head unit should get you close on the weight reduction and the bin to replace the PCM is only $125 or so.
Hmmmm, hadn't considered the possibility of removal of the PCM having a negative affect on the ECU. You are correct on all the wiring. If I bought one and if I could and did remove the PCM I would probably just leave the wiring. However it is like anything else, I am sure some dedicated enthusiast would pull apart the dash etc to remove every last ounce.

Another thought I had was to remove the PCM, replace it with a bin, leave the wires and speakers and then install a bluetooth unit so that one could play music from their phone on the T with the radio delete. I call this the total poser option. : -)

I guess a simple way to test it out would be to simply unplug the PCM and see how the car drives etc.....
Old 12-18-2017, 10:23 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

My 02 cents is that the lightweight glass, LWB, and no rear seating is required for sure or you might as well get the standard car. Those are the singular features that set the T apart from the base Carrera. I like the RWS because it effectively shortens the wheelbase of 991 making the car feel smaller and more nimble. Since the price of the T is already up there choosing the options judiciously is key.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:34 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by djcxxx
My 02 cents is that the lightweight glass, LWB, and no rear seating is required for sure or you might as well get the standard car. Those are the singular features that set the T apart from the base Carrera. I like the RWS because it effectively shortens the wheelbase of 991 making the car feel smaller and more nimble. Since the price of the T is already up there choosing the options judiciously is key.
This is very true. Im not sure my fat a$$ will fit in LWB though.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:14 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

I go back and forth on this. Right now, I feel like the philosophy of the car is performance, lightweight/stripped, & retro. That means no sunroof, 4-ways or LWB, then Carrera T package (for the retro look), and PDK or Manual to taste. With small kids, I'm definitely going 4-ways & adding back the rear seats. RWS is cool, but adds rear mass & complexity, ditto the front axle-lift system.

It's fun to have choices :-)

Amazing Retro T (reminds me of my father's from 1973):

Old 12-19-2017, 05:57 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Might have to get some houndstooth inserts to replace the Alcantara in my LWBs.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:18 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
Not everyone, myself included, thinks it’s a good thing for all purposes. While I’d personally probably go with RWS on a GT3 (and I am, in fact) I wouldn’t want it on a Carrera T. I do debate if I’ll like it on the GT3 long term- it’s undeniably faster than a 997 GT3 RS, for example, but arguably rounds off a few too many sharp edges. For me, anyway.
Originally Posted by stout
You're not the only one—there are chassis engineers within Weissach who don't love RWS, even on the hottest models. It's a bit like PDK again, coming down to personal preference on the "experience" despite recognizing the undeniable performance advantage.
Originally Posted by Sean Spicer
I go back and forth on this. Right now, I feel like the philosophy of the car is performance, lightweight/stripped, & retro. That means no sunroof, 4-ways or LWB, then Carrera T package (for the retro look), and PDK or Manual to taste. With small kids, I'm definitely going 4-ways & adding back the rear seats. RWS is cool, but adds rear mass & complexity, ditto the front axle-lift system.
Sounds like RWS is more a personal preference than a universal must have.

Old 01-05-2018, 02:02 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

I've had a lot of fun reading through this thread and others regarding the T and T vs S and T vs GT3 etc.... Recently I have come to the conclusion that to keep a T a "T" it MUST have the following options and NO others.

Basic paint color in Black, Red, White or Yellow
Standard T Interior
LWB
RAS
PCCB
Fire Ex.

This build runs just under $123K.
No other options allowed.
Once I got it home I would have to look into removing the PCM and replacing it with a storage bin.

Would I buy this car? No way. Too one-dimensional and focused for me.

My option list would include:
White
Standard T Interior
Entry and Drive
Aluminum Look Fuel Cap (makes me smile every time I get gas)
PDK
FAL
LCA
Smoking Package (looks cleaner to me - I don't smoke)
Fire Ex.
Bose

This build runs just under $116K and at this point, I might be far better off to look at a Base again.

Base with those same options is under $110K and the only thing I would be giving up is SPASM, Light Weight Glass and the Standard T Interior. I'd also go with the regular sport buckets as I find them more comfortable that the Sport Plus.

Last edited by rkwfxd; 01-05-2018 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:26 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
I've had a lot of fun reading through this thread and others regarding the T and T vs S and T vs GT3 etc.... Recently I have come to the conclusion that to keep a T a "T" it MUST have the following options and NO others.

Basic paint color in Black, Red, White or Yellow
Standard T Interior
LWB
RAS
PCCB
Fire Ex.

This build runs just under $123K.
No other options allowed.
Once I got it home I would have to look into removing the PCM and replacing it with a storage bin.

Would I buy this car? No way. Too one-dimensional and focused for me.

My option list would include:
White
Standard T Interior
Entry and Drive
Aluminum Look Fuel Cap (makes me smile every time I get gas)
PDK
FAL
LCA
Smoking Package (looks cleaner to me - I don't smoke)
Fire Ex.
Bose

This build runs just under $116K and at this point, I might be far better off to look at a Base again.

Base with those same options is under $110K and the only thing I would be giving up is SPASM, Light Weight Glass and the Standard T Interior. I'd also go with the regular sport buckets as I find them more comfortable that the Sport Plus.
That may be the set of options *you* need, but I doubt most T buyers will option their car that way (myself included). The truth is, there are no cost-options that are required or to keep the T a T. In fact, it could just as easily be argued that a true T would be a stripper with no cost options.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:16 PM
Sarawnty
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 71 Posts

I've ordered a white T (MT) with the following options. Kept it real basic. Canadian models appear to be delivered stock with slightly different components (eg. Sports Seats Plus (4-way), Nav and radio).
Deletion of decorative side logo
PDLS
Chrono package
Auto-dimming mirrors
Luggage net in passenger footwell

Still debating if I order the T interior package but unlikely at this point.
Steve
Old 01-05-2018, 04:47 PM
rxtrom
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Its just as easy to option up the T as it is a Base, S, and GTS and question the next trim due to price, but I think several stock components of the T set it apart as previously discussed. I for one think the T package is crucial as its a T package only, and the RWS as its not available in a base.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:05 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I heard that aluminum look gas cap adds a lot of weight...
Old 01-05-2018, 08:20 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Es macht nichts
That may be the set of options *you* need, but I doubt most T buyers will option their car that way (myself included). The truth is, there are no cost-options that are required or to keep the T a T. In fact, it could just as easily be argued that a true T would be a stripper with no cost options.
YES! I agree. This is just my opinion which means NOTHING. Im having fun with it though.

Quick Reply: Required options to keep 911T a "T"