Sponsored by:

"The Getawayer" Guido Komp review of the .2 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 05:48 AM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Ah yes, as opposed to your pre-determined "I drive this engine every day and love it so no one better criticize it" comments. Go watch some of his other videos and try again.
mm No - I think driving a car/engine pretty much everyday gives a lot more insight in to a vehicles behaviour and engine response than a journo who drives it for a few hours with a clear cut predetermined position. Its a poor review.

Read the Car and Driver reviews as a counterpoint (thats why I posted them - the manual review has just come out, Dec 2017 - see post above).

Originally Posted by djcxxx
Had he not reviewed the GT3 previously I suspect he GTS review would be somewhat different, and IMHO the 3.0 turbo is a better match with the PDK than the 7MT which is not a favorite of the "purist" crowd that Guido and most of the internet sports car "journos" write for. The minimal lag is less noticeable w/ PDK and broad torque band makes the MT less satisfying since there is little need to shift gears to maximize the engine performance. I had a .1 C4S w/ PSE and was underwhelmed by the sound and performance, which is why I moved to a .1 GT3. I sold the .1 GT3 during the engine debacle, and I currently have a .2 C2S which I have thoroughly enjoyed, and frankly have some misgivings about getting into the .2 GT3 which will be delivered early next year. The .2 is an excellent car with an overall excellent engine that provides real world flexibility and an engine sound that does credit to the 911.
Well said, this is very close to my position (and every third week I drive a 997 Cup).

Originally Posted by subshooter
I agree with that but is that what makes a sports car?
I consider the S/GTS more of a traditional Grand Tourer - the NA GT cars now weigh close to 1500kg and with the wide body, they are actually big. The cars that defined sports cars generally had a small footprint c.f MG, Triumph, Lotus etc. and weighed very little. This tradition has been carried through with cars like the BRZ, Miata or new Alpine.

My view is the GT3 has become a niche car with no real purpose (I am not saying I don't think its good). Sure there is a market for it, but it is a small market. I think the 997 GT3 largely captures the spirit and intent of the GTX and the 996 GT3 defined it.

IMO Porsche squared the circle with the GTS both for the 911 and Cayman. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be alone with this position and thus find I'm at odds with the getawayer review.

In fact I'd go as far to say the 981GTS/718GTS (Boxster or Cayman) are the best sports cars made by Porsche.

Last edited by randr; 12-17-2017 at 06:44 AM.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:44 AM
Mark993TT
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

The motortrend head2head I was referring to ...
http://www.motortrend.com/news/2018-...n-head-2-head/
Old 12-17-2017, 10:06 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by randr
mm No - I think driving a car/engine pretty much everyday gives a lot more insight in to a vehicles behaviour and engine response than a journo who drives it for a few hours with a clear cut predetermined position. Its a poor review.

Read the Car and Driver reviews as a counterpoint (thats why I posted them - the manual review has just come out, Dec 2017 - see post above).Well said, this is very close to my position (and every third week I drive a 997 Cup).I consider the S/GTS more of a traditional Grand Tourer - the NA GT cars now weigh close to 1500kg and with the wide body, they are actually big. The cars that defined sports cars generally had a small footprint c.f MG, Triumph, Lotus etc. and weighed very little. This tradition has been carried through with cars like the BRZ, Miata or new Alpine.

My view is the GT3 has become a niche car with no real purpose (I am not saying I don't think its good). Sure there is a market for it, but it is a small market. I think the 997 GT3 largely captures the spirit and intent of the GTX and the 996 GT3 defined it.

IMO Porsche squared the circle with the GTS both for the 911 and Cayman. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be alone with this position and thus find I'm at odds with the getawayer review.

In fact I'd go as far to say the 981GTS/718GTS (Boxster or Cayman) are the best sports cars made by Porsche.
Lol, the old "those articles don't say what I want to hear, so I'm going to post THESE articles that agree with me so THEY must be the journalists who got it right" argument. Ah yes, i see how that works. So those journos, who probably have less seat time in a 991.2 than Guido do, agree with you and they are the fair and balanced ones? Whereas the guy who disagrees with you had a "predetermined outcome" and therefore gave a "poor review"? Lol, your bias is showing. How much time did those guys writing for Car and Driver have in the Car?

And having a ton of seat time does give you lots of insight into a vehicle's behavior, however there are two points you miss. 1. This is not the first time he's driven a .2 and usually when he gets press cars, it's for a week or so. 2. While you may have more experience with that particular Car, driving it so often attunes you to the car and serves to minimize any issues with it. Whereas someone who is in and out of multiple cars over a short period has a very solid basis of comparison from one car to another. He's driven multiple cars of various styles and types and therefore any features that are standout (good and bad) are in much no sharper
Relief.

In the end, it's just his opinion and he's certInly entitled to it. As am I and as are you. Some people love the new turbo engines, some hate them and some are ambivalent. The reviews have borne that out. I won't re-post the link to the Road and Track article of the GTS vs the Merc GT-S where the conclusions were largely the same as Guido's. You don't agree with his conclusions, and that's fine. Everyone has their preferences which are also their natural biases. Doesn't make you any more right than it does him any more wrong. But to slam the guy as giving a poor review and having a pre-determines outcome while then posting an article from another source that makes your point and expecting that source to be any less biased is just silly.

As I said above, I posted this review because
I think his reviews are excellent and well thought out. He does a good job of communicating what's going on with the car...in a language that's clearly not his first by the way! I did this before even viewing it and it was not an attempt to denigrate the .2 cars. I feel overall they are better sorted than the .1's but am tending to agree with his viewpoints on the engine. But I definitely need more seat time in one in a place to wring the engine out before coming to any final conclusions.

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 12-17-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:08 AM
Rezus
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^ Agree with all that and the review as well. Like some of us he does have a MT bias and seems to prefer NA engine, for a good reason. randr has been on this forum saying that his .2 S with a power kit is the best thing out there, obviously he is not going to like this review. I think he captured the issue with new turbo engines pretty well.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:23 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark993TT
The motortrend head2head I was referring to ...
http://www.motortrend.com/news/2018-...n-head-2-head/
I liked that video, but it was too bad the weather was so terrible. I would have liked to see a better test than that. They really weren't able to push the cars at all. It's actually a pretty interesting comparison, even though it's a bit chalk and cheese.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:10 PM
Sharm
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

WOW this is such a coincidence!

I just unsubbed from him yesterday finally after more than a year because I gave up on him making more videos...goes to show what I know. Re-subbed!
Old 12-17-2017, 02:12 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Team, Just an example of a review. Not everyone has to love the new boosted engine. Welcome to the internet where everyone gets an opinion and platform to voice it.

Is the new car faster? Yes

Are there people that don’t are for it? Yes

Have we we been down this road before? Yes

Will someone post some sort of compressor graph or dyno chart to debate an emotional aspect? What for it. And most of these people posting dyno charts don’t know how to ready them or understand that they are not from a start...

i agree reed with the video.... so do others. If you’re upset about that then you’re in the wrong car since clearly it’s just a status symbol and not one you actually enjoy driving.... or you wouldn’t care.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:31 PM
Mark993TT
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I liked that video, but it was too bad the weather was so terrible. I would have liked to see a better test than that. They really weren't able to push the cars at all. It's actually a pretty interesting comparison, even though it's a bit chalk and cheese.
Did you really watch the whole video?

Weather on the Nurburgring was fine and if that’s not “pushing the cars” I don’t know what is.

Last edited by Mark993TT; 12-17-2017 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:33 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

Definitely worth a view! And please post in the comments asking for English subtitles on his .2 GT3 review.

Well yeah here we go again with the obvious points of precision and performance (turbo) over slightly less capable but more "fun" to drive (NA) offerings.
I happen to agree with this review because it captures the trade offs with each offering.
For the dedicated track rats, the performance aspect of the new turbo motors make that an obvious choice.
For the casual enthusiast, why trade the everyday fun and engagement, right?
To each their own....
Old 12-17-2017, 02:53 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 219 Posts

It's just a review,....like any other. I do happen to agree with many of his points though from owning a .1 GTS and driving 3 other .2 GTSs (two coupes, one targa)

And yes, most of his reviews (with some exceptions) are pretty much spot on with my own findings. Don't we all tend to side with reviewers that align with our own preferences?
Old 12-17-2017, 03:09 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark993TT
Did you really watch the whole video?

Weather on the Nurburgring was fine and if that’s not “pushing the cars” I don’t know what is.
I did, when it first came out. I meant on the street.
Old 12-17-2017, 03:26 PM
Zetta
Racer

Received 305 Likes on 100 Posts

In stead of the posted review I highly recommend this one:

Old 12-17-2017, 03:53 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 219 Posts

Or this one....from a guy that has driven everything under the sun,.....old & new.....(it is for the turbo .2 CS in the UK)

Old 12-17-2017, 04:36 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
Or this one....from a guy that has driven everything under the sun,.....old & new.....(it is for the turbo .2 CS in the UK)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yNY8avAi54
I love Harry and his reviews, as he would say, are "ace".
Old 12-17-2017, 04:59 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 144 Posts

Quick Reply: "The Getawayer" Guido Komp review of the .2 GTS