Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TAG MOTORSPORTS NEW 2018 991.2 GTS PROJECT ROUND 1!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 03:29 PM
TAGMotorsports
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 235 Likes on 153 Posts
Default TAG MOTORSPORTS NEW 2018 991.2 GTS PROJECT ROUND 1!!

Another 991 is back in the TAG Stable, and we are celebrating!! The Porsche brand and specifically the 991 platform (both generations) has been a big part of TAG’s workflow the past few years so we know it very well. At least we think. But you can never know a platform TOO WELL, and that’s a great excuse to jump back into another 991, but this time generation 2! We decided the GTS would be a great all around platform, and even though we have had our good share of GTS’s in the workshop, we haven’t had too many of the new turbo versions. We wanted to find out for ourselves the nuances of this drivetrain and platform.

The GTS was selected because it is a great overall car that can be daily driven, or used as a weekend car. It has some grit to it, but is very compliant for normal use and really is a best of both worlds variant of the 911 platform. Ok, there was another reason as well... we wanted to build a FULL TECHART 991.2 GTS!! This goal was identical to our previous Macan S build, which this car replaced, so it was only right that we carried on tradition and show why TechArt is the best complete Porsche tuning program.

The car was scheduled to be ordered in white, but after some discussions, group chats, and lots of motivational pictures, we decided to change things up a bit. In the end, the final color choice for our spec was changed to Chalk, and we couldn’t have been more happy with our last minute change of heart. Knowing we were going to additionally spec the car out with TechArt’s catalog we ordered some additional touches from Porsche such as red dials, red seat belts and chalk painted interior pieces on the dash. We wanted to dial in a cohesive car aesthetically even with the aftermarket pieces, which we feel is the key to a great total build.

It seems lately our builds have transformed at the speed of light, but with this build, we wanted to really enjoy each step or stage of the build. Like any of our cars, we like to test out a variation of parts from some of the best vendors for the platform, including our top partners. But like some of our other builds, we had a specific end goal in mind. FULL TECHART. For the GTS we decided to start with wheels (of course), suspension, and High Flow Cats from AWE. We feel this is a mild, but common first step for a lot of our clients.

After a combination of some Southern California unnecessary traffic, some morning breakfast cruises through the canyons of Malibu, and coastal runs we really appreciated the addition of the TechArt Springs. They are very compliant with the PASM system. We know ride comfort is somewhat subjective, and our tolerance might be different with so much experience with lowered cars, but the ride is just butter. Nothing feels out of place, nothing is overly jarring or bouncy as you sometimes get with lowering springs. It really feels like it fits in line with an OEM ride from a sports car of this caliber. It also works great with the Front Axle lift option ordered on this car. Just seamless, and often it’s easy to forget the car is on lowering springs until you honestly approach a steep driveway or incline. Of course, this is all being said while sitting on 21” HRE 540 3 piece wheels with Satin Black Faces, and a Gloss Lip. The tire sizes are 255/30/21 and 325/25/21 Pirelli Pzero’s, which by the way, you never feel you are losing any grip. The car always feels planted and solid, at times you forget you are on wheels and tires of this size. So this is a testament to Porsches great engineering and shock tuning from the factory and also a high caliber aftermarket tuning program in TechArt that really builds a spring that performs and delivers in the realm of the OEM’s goals and objectives.

“Hey, I see you added AWE High Flow Cats, but no exhaust. Why is that?”.. We are glad you asked that! Once the GTS arrived, we had a quick chat that started with “wouldn’t it be cool to see how the car sounds and reacts with just HFC? People on rennlist probably want to know.” So after an evening of debate, and before the full exhaust goodies go on, we wanted to get some time with the HFC’s from AWE that we feel are overlooked. First of all, just to get this out there, no signs at all that there are HFC’s on the car. No CEL’s, no smells, etc. It sounds and feels(in total experience) pretty OEM. What you do notice is a little more grit and burble on start up and idle with the OEM PSE exhaust. But nothing that will cause your neighbors to send nasty e-mails or form an HOA meeting. (assuming you don’t have neighbors that just yell at you.) Well, when do you really notice it you might ask? ON ACCELERATION!! Throttle response is improved, and the car lets a wonderful euphoric scream that just sounds so perfect for this Porsche equipped with the PSE option. It almost uncorks the sound a little, and gives it a higher audible level, without being obnoxious or too loud. It left a huge smile on our faces while nodding our head in agreeance that it was a great move. It took a great driving experience from the feel and connection that the car gives, and added a soundtrack to match. We cannot wait for the full TechArt exhaust to go on, but for people who want to keep the OEM PSE exhausts look and functionality, but looking for some more response, and sound, the HFC is a great way to go.

A lot of people love the GTS, and for those wondering should they make the jump into a GTS? You get a “Hell Yes!” from us. We also have a .2 GT3 in our stable as well, and we will be getting a lot of hands-on experience and feedback between the two. But we really love the choice we made with this variant and the first stage of mods.

Stage 2 has already landed at the headquarters and includes TechArt Formula IV Wheels, Interior pieces, Steering Wheel, Aero & Much More

2018 991 Carrera 2 GTS

HRE 540 - Satin Black Face, Gloss Black Lip

21x9 (F)

21x12.5 (R)

255/30/21 & 325/25/21 Pirelli PZero Tires

TechArt Lowering Springs

AWE Tuning High Flow Cat Sections (with OEM PSE Exhaust)

AWE Tuning Windfoil Wind Diffusor

TAG Painted Chalk Key

XPEL Clear Bra

If you have any questions feel free to contact us HERE

web: www.TAGMotorsports.com - email: sales@tagmotorsports.com
Authorized Dealer For: HRE, Vossen, TechArt, AWE, Bilstien, KW, Akrapovic, Capristo, Fabspseed, BBI, Vorsteiner, Milltek, 1016 Industries, BBS, Brembo, GMG, H&R, Pirelli, Michelin, Hankook & more.

TechArt & AWE Tuning's #1 Volume Dealer Nationwide

Last edited by TAGMotorsports; 12-12-2017 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:59 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Awesome car, and write-up! I'm looking forward to watching this one progress. Keep up the great work.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:20 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

typo in the 2nd paragraph. "Complaint" should be "Compliant"
Old 12-12-2017, 06:03 PM
TAGMotorsports
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Code
Awesome car, and write-up! I'm looking forward to watching this one progress. Keep up the great work.
Thanks, swing by the shop once it's all done! By the way, hope you are still enjoying the Techart Type II Wing on your car. Looks absolutely perfect!

Originally Posted by jnolan
typo in the 2nd paragraph. "Complaint" should be "Compliant"
oops! fixed now, thanks.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:17 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 541 Likes on 368 Posts

Any dyno data, before/after of HFCs?
Old 12-12-2017, 07:45 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by TAGMotorsports
Thanks, swing by the shop once it's all done! By the way, hope you are still enjoying the Techart Type II Wing on your car. Looks absolutely perfect!
Thanks, I'm loving it! The car definitely feels more planted at high speeds. I'll for sure swing by the shop when you guys are finished. Cant wait to see it in person!
Old 12-12-2017, 10:49 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Super looking car! I’ve have considered going to 21’s on my 991.2 GTS because of the caliper/wheel clearance issue I have with PCCB’s, but have been hesitant because I thought it might look wrong. Your car is hot!

Trending Topics

Old 12-12-2017, 11:00 PM
-Ryan-
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Love those wheels. I'm a sucker for deep(ish) dish wheels.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:06 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by -Ryan-
Love those wheels. I'm a sucker for deep(ish) dish wheels.
Ditto on the deep dish!
Old 12-13-2017, 12:10 PM
TAGMotorsports
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks for the kind words !
Old 12-13-2017, 03:57 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

What offsets did you use? Factory is 51 front/63 rear for center locks on the 2018 991.2.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:07 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks great, I love the 20" CL's on my car but the 21" just fill the wheel well better.

Whats the actual observed drop with the springs? It looks great! I bought a KW H.A.S kit and decided to not put it on the car because I liked the ride so much I didn't want to mess with it.

Seeing it lowered though is making me second guess myself. I'm just concerned that with the **** roads in ATL its going to be too harsh.

Quick Reply: TAG MOTORSPORTS NEW 2018 991.2 GTS PROJECT ROUND 1!!