Sponsored by:

Article lauding a Mustang GT over a 991 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017 | 03:01 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Code
You gotta admit it's tough to beat the handling characteristics and controllability of a Mustang...
Repeat after me: Snap-throttle oversteer.

... which, btw, is a chacteristic of most, if not all, cars.

On the subject of rattles: I feel for the folks that have Porsches that rattle. However, it is not the norm in my experience.
Our ‘14 981CS has no rattles.
Our ‘15 991TT has no rattles.
Our ‘16 95B-T has no rattles.
Our ‘91 928GT with 101k-miles has just gotten its first rattle (the hatch receiver which is cured via a straight-forward replacement of a couple of 27-year-old worn bits.)
Old 12-11-2017 | 04:33 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Originally Posted by tse
I haven't driven my 991 long enough to gauge if these rattles will drive me nuts yet but if they get worse I could see it.

Would I trade it in for the sake of no rattles, probably not.

Would I look for the world's loudest exhaust, probably yes.
Maybe I should look into getting the sports exhuast then. I mean, when I back the car out of my driveway there's a rattle. When I'm driving at low speeds and there's any imperfection I hear an annoying rattle. Going on the highway it sounds like is especially loud and aggravating with multiple noises coming from everywhere. I just wish I could get in the car and drive it and listen to the engine without constantly thinking about where the rattle is coming from.

My plan right now is get the rattles fixed even if it means making the service department my 2nd home. I've made it clear that the rattles are unacceptable and will continue bringing the car in until they are gone. If the rattles get worse or aren't ever fixed I'd absolutely consider selling it because of them. Right now I have another sports car and I find myself taking it over the 911 so I don't have to fight the rattles the whole trip. If I don't enjoy driving the car what's the point? I'd be open to anything except another Porsche.
Old 12-11-2017 | 05:12 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by maxpowers
Maybe I should look into getting the sports exhuast then. I mean, when I back the car out of my driveway there's a rattle. When I'm driving at low speeds and there's any imperfection I hear an annoying rattle. Going on the highway it sounds like is especially loud and aggravating with multiple noises coming from everywhere. I just wish I could get in the car and drive it and listen to the engine without constantly thinking about where the rattle is coming from.

My plan right now is get the rattles fixed even if it means making the service department my 2nd home. I've made it clear that the rattles are unacceptable and will continue bringing the car in until they are gone. If the rattles get worse or aren't ever fixed I'd absolutely consider selling it because of them. Right now I have another sports car and I find myself taking it over the 911 so I don't have to fight the rattles the whole trip. If I don't enjoy driving the car what's the point? I'd be open to anything except another Porsche.
My 2016 C4S has an annoying rattle coming from the rear seat belt return area.

my 2012 Boss 302 Mustang: 0 rattles

my 2013 Ford F-150 raptor: 0 rattles

my 1982 911SC 0 rattles with 140k miles

2017 Panamera (wife’s car): 0 rattles so far.

so much for Porsche legendary fit and finish. Still, love all our cars.
Old 12-11-2017 | 06:40 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

I read that article. It is an interesting comparison but the two cars compete at different price points as the writer pointed out and his verdict was based on perceived value (according to him). If you can easily afford a 911, the article is irrelevant.
Regarding rattles and buzzing, vibrating sounds, my 4 month old 18 C4S, now with winter wheels and tires, has a few. The most noticebale is a buzzing, vibrating sound from the passenger side or behind. Sounds like a loose piece of plastic. With the 20 inch summer tires and the P zeros, the tire roar drowned out all sound except when driving on asphalt when the buzzing sound was evident. It is a sports car with a stiff suspension. In cold weather now, the interior creaks and groans but nothing to fret over. Mechanicals are sound.
Old 12-11-2017 | 06:54 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Originally Posted by maxpowers
It hasn't gotten to that point with me yet and I hope it never gets there because I love driving this car.

The rattle/squeak is coming from the front passenger side, probably gas tank related, will let the dealer sort it out if possible.
Old 12-11-2017 | 07:45 PM
K-A
Drifting

2012.5 C2 with sunroof, no rattles, PASM + HRE’s, X Pipe. Feels tank solid.
Old 12-11-2017 | 07:48 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Originally Posted by K-A
2012.5 C2 with sunroof, no rattles, PASM + HRE’s, X Pipe. Feels tank solid.
Mine rattles occasionally, will bring it in, in the Spring and unleash my best weapon upon the poor unsuspecting SA, THE WIFE!

We'll play good cop bad cop and put an end to the rattles.
Old 12-11-2017 | 08:00 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Originally Posted by Bemo
Mine rattles occasionally, will bring it in, in the Spring and unleash my best weapon upon the poor unsuspecting SA, THE WIFE!

We'll play good cop bad cop and put an end to the rattles.
You're lucky, my wife won't go near a Porsche dealership.

Maybe the rattle is PDK related...:
Old 12-11-2017 | 08:14 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Originally Posted by tse
You're lucky, my wife won't go near a Porsche dealership.

Maybe the rattle is PDK related...:
LMAOOOOOOO

Tse likes to crank his engine because he doesn't like technology!
Attached Images  
Old 12-12-2017 | 09:44 AM
.2PDK
Race Car

^^^ What is that, a 2 speed?

Quick Reply: Article lauding a Mustang GT over a 991 GTS