Sponsored by:

Article lauding a Mustang GT over a 991 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 04:25 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Article lauding a Mustang GT over a 991 GTS

The other day I stumbled across an article at Business Insider where the author declared the 2018 Mustang GT was better than a 991 GTS. Link is here.

Now, of course I strongly disagree, and a Mustang has never been on my radar, for a variety of reasons. I sort of feel that his closing argument amounts to "it has the same horsepower and the same number of wheels." But I'd be interested to see some intelligent, detailed takedowns of why he's dead, dead wrong. I'm not the guy to do it, because I've never even sat in a Mustang, so I'd be arguing in ignorance.

"Well, DUH" and "no one really cross-shops these two cars" are not so interesting responses. We're paying a lot more money for our cars, so I think it should be possible to dispassionately dissect his argument.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:49 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

It comes down to the old cliche, "To those who understand, no explanation is necessary. To those who don't, no explanation is possible."

Another clue is found in the maxim, "In order to collect lots of advertising revenue on the Internet, you should write articles that will either offend or patronize large numbers of people, preferably both."

Of course, being less snappy and memorable, that one is less well known.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:55 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

First and foremost, it’s Business Insider so anything they publish is going to have strong clickbait and low authenticity.

However, it is hard to not acknowledge that, much like the 911, the Ford Mustang has benefited from 50+ years of development and Ford engineers have figured out how to deliver a lot of performance in that package. It is a car that can be extended and shaped in a lot of interesting dimensions, just look at the Super Snake version as exhibit A. I have been on the track and have seen firsthand how well a performance Mustang can perform but that is probably where the similarity ends when compared to the GTS. There are a lot of cars that deliver hardcore performance (C7 Corvette!) at a low price point than Porsche, but I didn’t make my purchase decision on price point and performance.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:56 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Comparo with a GT350 might get interesting... but GT vs 911 is always going to be “well it’s not as good but way cheaper.”
Old 12-10-2017, 05:16 PM
socalpcarfan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol, the sound system in that mustang is prolly better than the one in the Porsche.... heck, the sound system in a Kia is prolly better than the one in the Porsche lol no hate, just keepin it real lol
Old 12-10-2017, 05:19 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,201 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by socalpcarfan
Lol, the sound system in that mustang is prolly better than the one in the Porsche.... heck, the sound system in a Kia is prolly better than the one in the Porsche lol no hate, just keepin it real lol
Speaking of "sound" I wonder if the stang can keep up with symphony of rattles brought to you by Porsche...
Old 12-10-2017, 05:19 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jnolan
There are a lot of cars that deliver hardcore performance (C7 Corvette!) at a low price point than Porsche, but I didn’t make my purchase decision on price point and performance.
Sometimes I've wondered if my knee-jerk rejection of buying a Z06 for considerably less money than a GTS is irrational. I think part of my motivation here is help articulating what exactly we are purchasing beyond hardcore performance.

Incidentally, I know diddly about Business Insider's reputation - it's just something that Google News linked to, and caught my eye because it was Porsche-related.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:21 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
It comes down to the old cliche, "To those who understand, no explanation is necessary. To those who don't, no explanation is possible."

Another clue is found in the maxim, "In order to collect lots of advertising revenue on the Internet, you should write articles that will either offend or patronize large numbers of people, preferably both."

Of course, being less snappy and memorable, that one is less well known.

that at last one is VERY well known to those who make their living writing internet copy. The very definition of click bait.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:24 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tse
Speaking of "sound" I wonder if the stang can keep up with symphony of rattles brought to you by Porsche...
That's not something I've noticed. We own a Cayman S, and in the past I've owned a Panamera SeH and a 991 C4S, and I never noticed rattles in any of them.

The problems I did have:
- The Panamera SeH had issues with low-coolant warnings in the hybrid system. Which is separate from the engine cooling system.
- The C4S cab had a rear window that sometimes refused to go up, and had to be cajoled into operating properly.
- They Cayman threw PADM faults twice, which resulted in eventually replacing everything, mounts and controller.

But no rattles.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:26 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
The very definition of click bait.
While that may be, surely it's possible to talk about why it's wrong rather than just declaring it wrong by fiat. I'd enjoy reading such.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:46 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

For the money, the Mustang GT is a fantastic car. However, you get what you pay for. If you choose, you can will your 911 to your heirs, and they'll still have an interesting, driveable car in the decades to come. Any Ford is less likely to be as long lived as a Porsche. The comparison is Timex vs. Patek. Although the Mustang has come a very long way, most of us Porsche fans understand we have to pay up to get the level of performance AND quality we desire.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:59 PM
jsykes
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
That's not something I've noticed. We own a Cayman S, and in the past I've owned a Panamera SeH and a 991 C4S, and I never noticed rattles in any of them.
Well, my Cayman S is full of rattles at 30k miles. But I still love the car.

What makes a car better than another? There is no way to decide that except when you're basing it on some specific items. Is it faster? Does it handle better? Is it quieter, better built, smoother ride? The questions can go on and on.

Cars are an emotional thing for many people. If we're just looking at the basics, there isnt really any reason to pay three times the price of a Mustang for a 911, it's certainly not three times the car in many of the basic items that make a car a car.

But for many of us, the Porsche IS three times the car for us and worth the price (as long as you can afford it). It may be the WAY it performs, the way it looks, the way the interior is, or even the uniqueness or image the car gives us. So its a lot more than just a car being "better" than another one. The only ones that can decide what makes a car better than another are us, what do we like and what do we want to spend our money on.

I know a lot of people that cannot believe I spend the money I do on my car, but its important to me and what I enjoy and where I decide to put my money. To others, a Honda or Hyundai are enough for them. To many the performance of a Mustang, Camaro or Corvette are plenty for the money, to others, its more than outright performance.

Everyone will have their own opinions about what is best, all you can do is drive what is best for you and enjoy it.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:06 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
For the money, the Mustang GT is a fantastic car. However, you get what you pay for. If you choose, you can will your 911 to your heirs, and they'll still have an interesting, driveable car in the decades to come. Any Ford is less likely to be as long lived as a Porsche. The comparison is Timex vs. Patek. Although the Mustang has come a very long way, most of us Porsche fans understand we have to pay up to get the level of performance AND quality we desire.
Spoken like someone whose never owned a mustang. there is zero reason a mustang wont be just as long lived as a 911. and calling a 911 a patek while a mustang is a timex is a joke
Old 12-10-2017, 07:42 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

I have a 2014 GT500 that I bought new, sight unseen from a dealership a few hundred miles away. I've had it 4.5 years now, and it's been flawless. Zero rattles. Even with a few mods such as shifter and suspension, it always just does what I ask it to do. The Recaros are comfy and it rides great. The interior is a mustang interior. But the drivetrain, including motor, one piece carbon fiber driveshaft, MGW shifter, and 3.55 gears.....that's where the money is on this car. To produce a car that came from the factory with 662 hp, sold for $67000, and now has a proven track record that's pretty much free from inherent weak points, recalls, class action suits, etc,....that's pretty good engineering in my estimation. For hooning, can't be beat.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:36 PM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Over here the Mustang got an ANCAP/Euro NCAP rating of 2. It was even rejected as a Police pursuit car by at least two major states. I'm sure the GT350R would be a lot of fun but thats a different beast to the GT (and we can't get the 350R over here).

Quick Reply: Article lauding a Mustang GT over a 991 GTS